Too Nice To Drive?

LadyJustin

Yesterday I took my E30 to one of my favorite BMW mechanics for a safety/tech inspection required for an upcoming driving school event. The car passed everything great, but the mechanic advised me that I shouldn't drive my car in competitive races because it's "too nice" to be on a track. Plus it's got 285K+ miles on it and I'd end up replacing the clutch eventually. Huh? Too nice? I see 2002ti's from the 70's in autocross all the time. I think they must have high mileage!? And it would not be the end of the world if I someday had to have the clutch replaced. Any comments? I was under the impression that E30's were great for autocross.

Anybody else out there with high mileage cars on the track?

So on a side note .... if I were to be shopping for another autocross car, what should I look for?

Big Daddy

e30's are light in the rearend, however make great track cars. If you are talking about a High Performance Driving School or Autocross depending on how you drive your car they can be very hard on a car. If you are attending a skills or Street Survival School they are a lot easier on your car. You have to weigh how much benefit or enjoyment you are going to get from any event in trade for the maintence it is going to require. After all they are the Utlimate Driving Machine!

it should be just fine for autocross if you use a good oil. I'd shy away form track days with that many miles though. No worries if you blow it! you can find an M20 for around $500-$600. Sometimes even cheaper.

epj3

Just autox it. What will it hurt? If the car rips in half just count your losses and move on, the car has 280+k miles on it. Big daddy is right, but if you get to know the car you'll do fine.

It's ment to be driven, dont worry about the age. Clutches aren't the end of the world, either.