True spot free RO system

All this talk about the auto dry has made me want to post some info about a true ro system. The idea behind the Auto Dry is basically just an advanced mini RO (reverse osmosis) system. So many people on here seemed to love it so much, or at least the idea of it, that I thought I would make this post. This is an idea I have had for a while, just never tried it out to see if it works. This is very lengthly I know, just try to skim through it and read the bottom. If your interested read through the whole thing.

The RO systems the dealers have are large and designed to filter a lot of water in a short amount of time. For home use this is unnecessary. Reverse Osmosis systems for homes have been available for a long time, sold at many places, and you may have one in your home and not even realize it. A RO system consists of 3 different chambers (some offer 4) which consists of a carbon chamber, sediment pre filter, and the RO membrane itself. Those that offer 4 typically add a de ionizer as the fourth chamber. Now like I said, you may have one of these units under your sink and not realize what it is. If you have one under your sink it probably will come with a small cylinder that looks almost like a mini propane tank. This reservoir is necessary because the RO membrane can only filter water at a slow rate, can be from 5 gallons a day to 160.

The idea I am discussing here would be using a home RO unit to filter water for the car. Most home unit’s small reservoirs would be too small for car use as well as not up to filter the extra water needed on a regular basis. My idea is this, connecting a RO unit to an large external tank. For the tank I would suggest something between 5 and 15 gallons. This set up can be somewhere in the garage, basically anywhere there is a water connection. As this unit has to be run for large periods of time, often as much as a day to fill the tank, this faucet needs to be dedicated to the RO system and not used for other things. Adding a faucet to any existing piping is easy so creating a dedicate faucet in the garage would simply need a cold water line running somewhere near by (often to a washing machine or to a water heater, just make sure to tap into the cold and not the hot). Just tap into the cold water line and add a new extension running to the RO set up with a valve on the end. The only challenge is that if you have copper plumbing then you will have to slip a T to it and do some welding with a blow torch, not very hard to do if you know how but if not then you would need to find someone to help.

After you have your line set up you need to attach your RO set up. The cheapest bare units you can get are used for aquariums. Many aquariums benefit from using pure water meaning many aquarium owners will use a RO unit to filter the water they put into there aquarium. As aquariums vary in size and so do the needs of water, there are many different units available varying in water capacity, longetivity, and price. Most units are between $200 and $300. When shopping be sure to watch out for the gpd (gallons per day) and the life of the filters. While a cheep unit may work well, the filters may not last long causing you to replace them more often causing extra expense. www.drsfostersmith.com is a pet warehouse with a large supply of aquatic supplies, including RO systems. click here to see there selection of RO systems For this purpose I would suggest something that can filter around 10 gallons a day, anything more is overkill unless you plan on washing many cars on a daily basis.

So now that you have the RO system set up you need a reservoir to hold the filtered water. While you can use anything, if your only washing 1 car then a 5 gallon reservoir should be sufficient. If washing 2 or 3 then maybe a 10 gallon, and so on. Reservoirs can be anything, from a new clean trash can to a stainless steel tank. The reservoir needs to be completely clean and dedicated for this use, not used for other things. The reservoir also needs to be covered and somewhat sealed so as that contaminates cant get into the water. I suggest using 5 gallon jugs available at aquatic stores. If wanting 10 gallons then get two jugs and daisy chain them together, or do the same with 3 getting 15 gallons. Be sure when chaining them together to do it at the bottom so as that the water can move through the containers when you are using it. You will have to connect a spigot to one of the containers to get the water out. (If any of you are actually interested in trying all this out I will help you through it and tell you where to get everything just be sure to pm me about it, otherwise I am not going to bother posting it all here as it may just confuse people.)

Ok now you have everything set up and water is filtering into your reservoir. But wait how do u get the water from the reservoir to the car. My solution to this is using a pressure washer. Several pressure washers are able to pump water that is from a standing source. Notably is Karcher models that have this option (available at many stores, notably Lowe’s and costco also carries a Karcher model). The pressure washer connects to a regular hose spigot so that is all you need for the reservoir. Pressure washers can vary in price, most often you get what you pay for so I would suggest spending no less then $150 for one. The Karcher model I have works great and is upright so that it doesn’t take up much space. Most pressure washers use around 1.5 gallons per min. My Karcher uses 1.6 but if you calculate that you have a 5 gallon reservoir then that is about 3 min of constant RO water, enough to rinse 1 car after the wash. If you want to have the option of washing multiple cars then a 10 gallon reservoir would give you 6 min or a 15 gallon reservoir would give you 9 min. If you had a 30 gallon trash can as your reservoir that would give you 18 min of RO water. Remember pressure washers have many uses so don’t think of it as an expense just for this one purpose. Use it to wash your house and cement pads. Using a pressure washer on the car works well, it has a lot of force so that it will get the grime off your wheels and get the bugs off the car. There are many things to know about using a pressure washer on the car to avoid swirl marks and scratches, for more info read my updated detailing guide which should be available by the beginning of May.

Ok so if you actually read through all that or at least skimmed here is the important stuff it you are interested in doing this. You have to have a connection dedicated for the ro unit. You need to have the space for the reservoir. Cost of this all should be no more then $250 for the RO unit and all the little things needed to hook it up. You will need a pressure washer (around $150) with the ability to pick up standing water (not many can do this so if your not sure then buy a Karcher). So in total this would all cost $400 to set up, plus the cost of replacing the filters in the RO system when necessary. If you already have a Karcher pressure washer or have a model that will pick up standing water then the whole thing is only $250. The benefits of this whole set up means never having to dry your car again. No tiny little spray from the Auto Dry to wash the car, full power spray using my system. Plus the extended cost is less then when using the Auto Dry. If anyone has any questions about any of this or is thinking about doing it, pleas tell me and I will help you through it step by step and tell you everything you need to know about it as well as where to purchase everything. If you live in Southern California I will even help you set it up. Now like I said before, I have not done this myself yet but in theory it should all work.

Here are a few pictures of the stuff I am talking about.

This is the tipical undersink home RO unit

This is the type I am saying to use which basicly is just the standalone filter unit, with out the resovor as you need a larger resovor.

[/IMG]

This is what the 5 gallon jugs look like

This is the pressure washer I have which I highly recomend.

Costco carries this one which is basicly the same as the one I have only not upright, it is a great model to get and will do everythign the same as the one above except it takes up a tad more space as its not upright. Costco does change there supply though, a few months ago they had the same exact model I have, but when I went there last week it was back to the one pictured below.

Attachments

Good info...,

Have you thought about this...,

The Autodry is made by Proctor & Gamble, the same company that makes dish detergent.
Automatic dishwashers use a detergent that is "spotless" on glass, but VERY harsh.
Considering the "yuck" left on the car and the sheeting action, have you thought that it "may" be the same type detergent as used in the dishwasher and the small filter actually does very little?
Test the autodry on a freshly waxed car, spots galore!
On a car that is not kept up or waxed, works fine, sheets and spotless.
The autodry soap is so harsh it will fade a wash mitt..., think about what the harshness is doing to the paint in the long run...,
They say it does not strip wax, but if it is strong enough to fade dye in a wash mitt..., how would it "know" not to strip the wax also?
Just some thoughts to add to the subject... :)

Just to confirm..., try this if you have any test panels..., or, try it on your fender-
Wash fender with your favorite car wash-

Wax fender with your favorite wax-

Spray fender with water to make sure you are getting beading and make note of the beads, how large or small, how tight the pattern, etc-

Wash with Autodry soap-

Look for beading, note again the size of the beads, patterns, etc-

Wash 4x with water Only, make note of the beading-

Now wash with your favorite car wash that does not make water bead-

Wash again with water only to remove any residue of the last car wash-

Make note of the beading-

Remember, you only washed with water, only one car wash was a mild wash to remove any residue that would either cause sheeting or beading...,

What are the results?

um wayne, your kind of changing the topic of my thread here :)

I am perty sure the filter does quite a bit on the autodry, in your thery the soap is what is doing most of the work which in reality is highly unlikely. The difference between a crematic plate and a car with a clear coat is very large. Rember it doesnt matter if the soap makes it bead or not, the point of the auto dry is that when the water dries it has no minerals or deposits which is what causes the spots. The reason they have you use there soap is because it will wash off easier and not leave any residu which could interfear with the auto dry process.

My honest opinion of the auto dry is a good one, it does as advertised for the most part and works well. For me I find it a bit tedious trying to get it to work properly as well as had some problems with spots. I thought it worked quite well and am very happy with it. I use it when I want a quick wash. The idea behind the true RO system though is tAhat you can use it with your normal routine and it doesnt have all the restrictions the auto dry has. The number 1 thing that causes swirl marks is the drying process. By using a RO system you are eliminating the number 1 risk. I think a $250 investment to protect a thousand dollar paint job on a 40 thousand dollar car is worth while. Right now as all I have is my cougar so I dont care much, once I get my BMW I will likely get this set up.

I have used AutoDry with and without a coating of wax on my Jet Black 325. Doesn't matter. There are zero spots on the car either way. Drying towels are history unless you like swirl marks. There's no evidence that the soap is harming the clear coat. Sounds like propaganda.

The RO system would probably work pretty well by removing the contaminants in the water, but I don't know if it would be as good as AutoDry since the puddles would sit on your car until they evaporate. Maybe if you drove the car around the block or used the leaf blower it might be OK.

snowsedan04 said:
There's no evidence that the soap is harming the clear coat. Sounds like propaganda.
Try the "test", then decide for yourself if it is propaganda:)
What happens to your wax beading?
This will be my last post on this subject:)

Great Article Coyote ! I happened to be a BMW and Aquarium Enthusiast. I have both the RO / DI and a pressure washer. I had thoughts about filtered water but you extended the insight to use the pressure washer. With this stuff, I will give it a go !

I question the filter ability to remove contaminants from the water. I have done a lot of research on water conditioning and filters and realized there are a lot that do not work. For instance, I was looking a Sears system for about 1500.00; the system was a joke when you look at the independent reviews. True RO filter conditioning systems that remove a large portion of contaminants run 7,000.00-10,000.00 for an average home.

My point is that I see a lot of systems that just cannot possibly work to remove most contaminants. And I believe a popular “under the counter” system here locally that sold for about 700.00 installed was tested at a lab for a consumer program and was only 45% effective. It takes a fairly sophisticated system to effectively remove water contaminates.

PS-I use a lot of water softening agents in my pool that I would never use on my car, and likewise many household products.

Just my opinion. [wave]

I have a RO system I installed in my home. I have it hooked up to my refrigerator which has a door water and ice access. Since installing my RO system I never get water spots in or around the door.

I think it will work. You might not need a sprayer. If you follow the detailing guide that was posted a while back, you could just take the 5 gallon container and pour the RO water over the car to rinse (like the spot free places)..

This all was just a thought, I have no idea if it would work. In thery it should though. Yes it costs 7,000 for a true ro unit but rember how much is that little filter in the auto dry, its not $7000 and thats for sure. I think the home units should be sufficient for this purpace.

As a test, Nataku if you could filter about a gallon of water and after you wash your car just dump it on your hood and see what happens. If it drys spot free then theres your answer.

I am sure that the area a person lives in also has a lot to do with how well it works. People that live in areas with very hard water, like myself, will probably not get good results. But it would probably work better in other areas.

In reality, the effectiveness of the Mr. Clean system will be directly proportionate to the area of the country that you live in. Arizona and Southern Cali have some of the worst water that I have ever seen! (A typical water heater is lucky to last five years in Arizona.) Also the typical dish washing detergent does not leave a spotless glass here in AZ. You really have to add s rinse agent to get glassware to look half way clean.

I inspected a friend’s truck that was freshly washed with the Mr. Clean system. He was really impressed with it, and initially, so was I. But upon closer inspection with a quartz halogen shop light, there were lots of water spots on that truck.

Was this better than a quick wash? Yes. But it was not better than a good hand wash followed by a thorough drying.

What I have been more tempted to purchase re the inline filters that you can install into your outside water hose. I have seen these being sold, but cannot locate the bookmarks that I’m sure that I saved. For the worst areas, there was an ionization filer combined with a general water filter.

I will try to find those links tomorrow.

I tried the RO water on my car this weekend. Unfortunately, I did it on a cloudy day. When I was finished the sun popped up prompting me to towel off the water. One thing i realized is that the environment you wash your car also plays a huge role in spotting. If it is dusty, spring time ( pollen ), or windy the airborne contaminants will still get on your car.

It was a bit of a hassle to get the water. I used 5g buckets and the pressure wash burn though it in a minute. The pressure did not do too well on brake dust. Hand washing the wheels seemed the best. Damn, those M135 style wheel are hard to clean.

I will try it again just to see if it spots or not. Note that there is no "sheeting action "like the Mr. Clean commercial with the RO. Must be some kind of rinsing agent

If I am doing this just to not wipe down the car, it is probably not worth it.

Fishtale

Ro/di

My new 330ci ZHP is due to arrive any day now... I am going to try a version of the RO method described above. I've got a large aquarium so I am already running a pretty decent RO/DI filtration system. This the first time that my aquarium is going to make life easier.

My plan: I'm going to handwash the car normally using a garden hose, and then once I'm all done, perform a final rinse with the RO. I've got a 50 gallon trashcan dedicated to freshwater storage in my garage. Instead of using a pressure washer, I'm going to use a small submersible aquarium pump (500 gph) connected to some 3/4" vinyl hose. I'm not sure how much I will need since I haven't tried this yet, but I figure a minute or two's worth of water should be an effective rinse and this will likely use 5-10 gallons of water. I add that amount of water to the aquarium nearly every day to compensate for evaporation.

I am curious to see if this leaves a spot-free finish, or if dust/puddles will be a problem. I might try throwing in the leaf blower method as well, if necessary.

For all of you who don't already have the luxury of running a dedicated RO system with a storage tank, it is really easy and inexpensive. You can get a nice RO/DI unit at an online aquarium store for $200, and then you will need a big trashcan, the water pump ($20-40) and some tubing. These RO systems can be hooked up to a standard garden hose spigot and you could easily mount it in your garage or outside the house, without having to mess with copper plumbing and all that. In other words, you don't need to be a plumber to set the system up, and it can be easily relocated or removed in a few minutes, if necessary.

I've never owned a nice car before, and all this info on washing and detailing is foriegn and almost ridiculous! You can bet that I am going to take care of my 330 though. With all the time and attention to detail it looks like most of you are putting into washing your cars, I would think that the above method would be a no-brainer, if it works. Alternatively, why not just keep some bottles of distilled water on hand at all times and give it a rinse down with that? There isn't any set-up cost and all it takes is a run to the supermarket, where you'll be to pick up those post-wash beers anyway. Has anyone tried it?