Ultimate computer programer's car?

Currently I own an E36 325is, and I love it. The car seems to have just enough computer stuff on it to make it run extremely well, while not really interfering with the driving experience. While I haven't driven the E90, from what i've read it seems to have a bunch of useless crap that no one really needs. I don't want my wipers to talk to my brakes, and I don't want a million yaw sensors on the car telling me what to do. I'm 18 right now and an engineering student, and I think there are way too may electronics on these new BMWs, and most of them don't even help the performance/ fuel economy of the car. They're there just to be there and add weight. When will it stop?

Big Daddy

It will never stop, these are the results of numerous things, laws, lawyers, engineers, designers, customers, etc. etc. Get your degree and go design some nice cars for us that do not want electronics driving our cars!

samsung

not that i am a fan of e-devices, but think of how many normal drivers are on the road having trouble giving during rainny seasons, they are quite helpful. And hey buddy did you say you are 18? don't seem like you are so experienced on the task... no offense buddy

f1racer77 said:
Currently I own an E36 325is, and I love it. The car seems to have just enough computer stuff on it to make it run extremely well, while not really interfering with the driving experience. While I haven't driven the E90, from what i've read it seems to have a bunch of useless crap that no one really needs. I don't want my wipers to talk to my brakes, and I don't want a million yaw sensors on the car telling me what to do. I'm 18 right now and an engineering student, and I think there are way too may electronics on these new BMWs, and most of them don't even help the performance/ fuel economy of the car. They're there just to be there and add weight. When will it stop?
I agree mostly with you. There is way too much use of electronics in a car to do something just "because we can." Just because they CAN use iDrive technology to tune the radio doesn't mean they SHOULD. The latest tire pressure monitoring systems require a $300 reset tool when you rotate or change a tire!!!!

Mercedes even admitted to too many electronic frills last year and is reducing the amount of frilly automation, when is BMW going to pay attention?

I do disagree regarding performance and fuel economy. The use of an ECU has just about doubled fuel economy and performance. Engine management is doing things today that could never be done just mechanically. I just read in AutoWeek that the new 505 hp Z06 'vette will get 18/25 mpg. For a 505 hp engine, that's amazing. I remember when a 505 hp engine could only get 10 mpg or less.

One new and interesting technology relies heavily on an ECU. HCCI - Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition. This is essentially a technology that uses gasoline, methane, etc. in a DIESEL mode of operation - no spark plugs. It requires direct injection and very complex timing and cylinder pressure measurement to control it successfully. It provides a homogeneous fuel/air charge in the cylinder that burns at a lower temperature and more efficiently. Lower combustion temperature reduces pollution and actually creates more power and better gas mileage.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/05/keep_an_eye_on_.html

sly

BMW prides itself in being in the forefront for technological breakthroughs. So chances are that you won't see BMW cutting back in developing new devices any time soon. Almost every "improvement" has a downside. Even ABS which is great on dry roads is horrendous on snow covered roads.

Kirby said:
I agree mostly with you. There is way too much use of electronics in a car to do something just "because we can." Just because they CAN use iDrive technology to tune the radio doesn't mean they SHOULD. The latest tire pressure monitoring systems require a $300 reset tool when you rotate or change a tire!!!!

Mercedes even admitted to too many electronic frills last year and is reducing the amount of frilly automation, when is BMW going to pay attention?

I do disagree regarding performance and fuel economy. The use of an ECU has just about doubled fuel economy and performance. Engine management is doing things today that could never be done just mechanically. I just read in AutoWeek that the new 505 hp Z06 'vette will get 18/25 mpg. For a 505 hp engine, that's amazing. I remember when a 505 hp engine could only get 10 mpg or less.

One new and interesting technology relies heavily on an ECU. HCCI - Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition. This is essentially a technology that uses gasoline, methane, etc. in a DIESEL mode of operation - no spark plugs. It requires direct injection and very complex timing and cylinder pressure measurement to control it successfully. It provides a homogeneous fuel/air charge in the cylinder that burns at a lower temperature and more efficiently. Lower combustion temperature reduces pollution and actually creates more power and better gas mileage.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/05/keep_an_eye_on_.html

I DO agree for adding electronics for performance/ fuel economy gains. I'm not one of these dinosaurs that wishes everything still had carbs. I've spent many days with friends tuning their cars with a laptop on dyno. Engine management is a great thing, and its why cars are so awsome today. Active diffs are also pretty cool I might add. I just don't like all the useless stuff that breaks and costs 2 or 3 hrs going around the car with a multimeter in time, and then $200 for the part that really does nothing. I guess as long as people are irresponsible about simple things like tire pressures we'll have junk like that.

Yes, i've had many scary times where the ABS kicked-in on snowy roads, but ABS is also very nice in the wet. Thats why i'm driving an E30 when it snows. May be a switch would help.