Wanted: Detail Tips + Tricks (Save me time please)

Ok I picked up a Porter Cable 7424 about a 2 months ago and have detailed about six cars now with it (my 323ci twice now). Of course I'm still learning as I go.

this is my latest job... (still need to do the roof, tires, and figure out a good plastic cleaner to get the lights looking good).

this is my fathers work vehicle for the family lawn business that we probably haven't washed or waxed in at least 6+ years. I wish I would have taken before pics to show the comparison, but I forgot.

The van's paint before was extremely oxidized. This van had no shine whatsoever, it was like looking at a black chalkboard before. I think the actual dirt on the paint probably protected it over the years.

anyway...

After washing, claying, washing again, paint cleansing, swirl polishing, glossing, then waxing, sweating, bitching, crying, praying... (used meguir swirl/ gloss/ paint cleaner/ wax produts)

on the 2nd day (9+ hours or so total later) I think I got it looking pretty sharp, but...

As I detail more and more cars I'm running into little things that really add up timewise. I hope some of you experts might clue me in on to help shave off some time...as well as any cool tips/tricks ect...

[01] Does anyone have tricks on how to speed up the process of applying polish/wax onto the pad when using random orbital? I spend more time stopping and applying wax to the pad than actually removing it from the vehicle.

My process of applying wax/polish to the pad is
- stopping porter cable,
- turning it over holding in my left hand flipped over
- reaching for the wax/polish (in my pocket/ ground/ shelf) w/ my right hand
- squirting wax/ polish on (as pad is still slightly turning)
- put the polish/ wax back (ground, pocket, shelf)
- flip over porter cable
- smear it onto paint on car and go...

now maybe a smaller bottle that I could hold in my hand or maybe tied around my neck might speed this process up or some special devices like a small pump with hose (don't laugh) that you hook onto end of polish bottle ect, and pump it? (heck maybe I should make a device if no ones got some suggestions).

I know if there was some way to actually apply the wax onto the pad without having to stop the porter cable, turn it over, grab a bottle, squeeze it on, ect each time I could shave off a lot of time.

[02] When applying polish/wax with random orbital does anyone just apply the polish/wax to the car itself instead of applying it to the pad? Advantages would be to speed up the process (see #1) but I'm curious to hear why I might not want to do this? I find it much faster if I apply a few lines to a whole side and smear it in with pad then I can quickly do a whole side...

[03] When using a clay bar does anyone have tips or do's and don'ts on how to use the clay bar itself? I try and use as much lubricant as possible, and stroke (ehem) up and down or sided to side until the paint is smooth and try to follow the vehicles lines. Do you smooth the bar out flat like a pancake or do you use an edge? Also how do you guys know when the bar itself is ready to be thrown in the trash? Anyway to clean it?

[04] Wax/ Gloss on rubber or chrome trims....Besides masking off these areas with tape, any recommendations on how to CLEAN these areas off if any residue gets on them?

hmmm I can't think of anything else right off the top of my head, but I'd love to hear tips from some experts out there especially ones that might help cut the time spent on detailing.

worm