What should I do?

I bought a X5 less than a week ago and I just recently found out that there is a major recall on a part of the engine. BMW has asked me to stop driving my car and bring it to my dealership right away. They told me that I would get my car back in a minimum of a month. I find this extreamly dissapointing because like I said, I bought the car less than a week ago. This is the second BMW I have bought from this dealership in less than a year. They attempted to put me up in an Enterprise rental but I deffinately wasn't having that. I think some sort of compensation is in order. I just don't know what I should ask for. I am having an aerodynamic kit put on and it would be great to get some sort of discount. Does anyone think I would get something like that? If not what should I ask for?

I thought about that but the thing is I already had a custom stereo installed. That's why I want to try and get some sort of discount on my aero kit. But thanks for the advice.

i would go to the dealership and tell them that you bought the car becuase you needed the car and since you expected BMW quality and since they are going to put you into a rental car for at least a month there has to be something they have to do, i mean its a BMW you expected the quality and performance, and seeing that you dont want to get a different one becuase of the stereo you should negotiate with them about the aero kit, will they do it?? not sure, its all up to the dealership what they will do, they'd probably do something if they are going to loose a customer and give bad reviews of the dealership to friends...well sorry to hear that it was your car that was affected by the recall

epj3

That's one nice thing about bmw having less dealerships -- each dealer needs to try to keep a good reputation, becuase there aren't many others around for people to go to.

If you buy a chevy, there are 20 dealers within 2 miles.

What kind of car did they put you up in? My dealership is trying to put me up in a 325 which I don't think is right. I'm not trying to be snobby by any means but I feel like they are dicking me around because I'm somewhat young. When I owned a 330ci they gave me a 3 series when I needed services on the car which was fine becuase I was driving a 3 series. But now that I upgraded to a X5 I think I should get a nicer loaner especially becuase I've owned this car for a litte more than a week.

jsinger

When I got my Porsche Boxster S I had an engine problem that took 3 dealers and 1 month and a half to fix (I had already had the car for a few months). I was able to get $2000 and a warranty extension on the engine (2 years over the factory warranty with no mile limit).

You should be able to get something.

Jeff

asad

I hope you will not accept any "old banger" - they have provided me with a BMW 5 series (new version) 2.5i - very comfortable but overall not a more than 1/8 of my X5 in terms of quality and performance - can't wait to have it back- I hope it does not take weeks !!!!!!!!!

jsinger said:
When I got my Porsche Boxster S I had an engine problem that took 3 dealers and 1 month and a half to fix (I had already had the car for a few months). I was able to get $2000 and a warranty extension on the engine (2 years over the factory warranty with no mile limit).

You should be able to get something.

Jeff
Is that what they offered you or did you do some negotiating?

asad

Mention that you need a comparable car - accepting anything less is not on - the reason why you bought a £50 K car from them should be enough argument ! BMW should supply a car ASAP or contract a car hire company to provide immediately - the aim is to minimise customer inconvenience as part of their contractual after sale role - you do not just pay for the vehicle but the service that is provided thereafter; a professional dealership will recognise this.

They gave me a 3.0 X5. I bought a 4.4 but I don't think they have a 4.4 in their loaner fleet. It will do, it's better than a 325. I'm still pushing to get the discount on my aero kit and it's looking somewhat hopeful but it's still up in the air. The nice thing about it is that while they're waiting for the new part from the recall to arrive, they're going to install the aero kit so when I get my ride back it will be like a new car. Another thing that pisses me off though is that a couple of other things have already gone wrong with the car. When I throw it into reverse teh passenger side mirror doesn't go down and also there hs been a couple times when my headlamps satyed on when I've turned the car off. It just sucks. When I bought my 330ci, I had not a single problem with it. I love everything about BMW's but I may think twice the next time I'm in the market for a new car... [?|]

The mirror works by where you position the left and right mirror designation switch. I don’t remember which position because I hate the tilt down feature for my car but if yours is not working and you want it on just switch to the opposite of where the mirror designation switch is now and it should work.

After waiting almost a month to get a service appointment ( installing....underguard grill and running boards ) I was told " oh by the way you have (3) recall items for the 2004 X5". I said ok fine I am glad that I came in huh? Well, it gets better. I was interested in knowing what were the recalls, or improvements and they said that one of them is replacing the Engine Management Control (EMC) unit. I came in for a 2 hr service and now they are telling me it can be up to (2) weeks before I get my car back. I was wondering if someone from the dealership, or BMWUSA was going to call me about these recalls? I am glad that I went in on my own. Oh by the way I was put in a enterprise rental [chair]