What's that smell?????

kabarile

Dear Forum members, I recently bought a 2001 Z3 roadster 3.0. I noticed a funny odor in the car, coming from the vents.

When the air conditioning is on, and the fan is blowing the smell is hightened. When I put the heat on, it seems to go away.

When I was checking out the car, we discovered a mouse nest in the air filter in the engine compartment. We removed the nest. I replaced the filter, and washed the filter compartment but that does not seem to be the source of the smell.

I have two thoughts on this matter. First, is that the mice may have uninated somewhere in the vent system, and I need to locate this and clean it.

The second thought is that this is a water evaporation problem caused by the air conditioning, and perhaps a plugged drain from the drip pan. I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has experience with this problem. It is dampening my enjoyment of my new toy.

Ken

Welcome!!!! The previous owner didn't drive that car enough!!!!

This odor can be a common problem in BMWs - with or without 4 legged creatures. There is a filter in the cabin called the microfilter, located under the "glove box". It filters the air in the heat/AC system. You want to remove that filter, clean the system (watch out for Mickey!!), and put in a new filter.

To clean the system, use Einszett Klima-Cleaner. Google will help you find an online source.

kabarile

A complication.

Kirby;

I just checked with a technical expert at BMW, and he tells me that the Z3 does not have a Microfilter in the passenger compartment.

Other BMW models do, but not the Z3.

Can anyone confirm this fact for me?

If it is not that, what else could cause the smell???

Ken

The A/C coil assembly, plastic and foam inside the ductwork can be contaminated with bacteria, causing the smell. That's what the Klima-Cleaner is for.