Which M3 handles better e36 or e46

Well, I drove his 2003 M3 today and all I can say is... I can't wait to get one!

I felt that his steering was wayyyyy more aggressive than mine. I feel that mine is very unique and it will always be my first love, but to echo my first thought " I cant wait to get an e46 M3"

Last edited:
It's all subjective...take into consideration that the E36 M3 is lighter and the E46 M3 is more powerful...now add into the equation the various combinations of springs, shocks, sway bars, bushings, tires, brakes, driving styles and preferences...what you have is two of the best handling cars in the world competing against one another and can always one-up each other. Personally, I'd take the more powerful car if everthing else (including cost) was equal. I wouldn't trade my '97 M3 because it can't be replaced or equaled for the cost...and I can always tweak the suspension to make it comparable or better to a stock E46 M3 (except for HP)...and it's a 4-door which is important to me (and my grandkids).
This thread is like a family squabble... but when push comes to shove, all M3's are superior to any factory sedan in the world.

Abdoman said:
The E36 was well regarded as having the most neutral steering of any of the m3s. In 1997 C&D rated the E36 against the Ferrari 355, vette, nsx, viper and turbo supra. The E36 M3 was rated the best handle car of all. When the E46 was released it was reported to understeer and some were disappointed.

Remember this discussion?

Maybe Abdoman was right after all.....

I sure haven't seen a comparison of this magnitude with the e46.

[/IMG]

RiDE

epj3 said:
Damn all these years I thought they were the same!
Well somebody here think they're close enough. [:p]

That's like me saying an E39 525i, which is lighter and had a rack and pinion steering which should theoritically "feel" better, can tell me how an E39 M5 handles and feels. [idea]

FWIW, I would take a new E36 over a new E46 any day.

epj3

RiDE said:
Well somebody here think they're close enough. [:p]

That's like me saying an E39 525i, which is lighter and had a rack and pinion steering which should theoritically "feel" better, can tell me how an E39 M5 handles and feels. [idea]

FWIW, I would take a new E36 over a new E46 any day.
Same here, I had the option of an e36 m3, or a lower mileage e46 328i.... after driving both (m3 has winter tires and COMPLETELY blown shocks, and 328i just had new factory shocks and summer tires!!) it was a very easy choice [hihi] (check sig [hihi])

RiDE

In my opinion, the E36 M3 is still one of the best looking BMWs by far. [thumb] Seeing as how the new E92 M3 isn't looking that great, to me at least, I think I will be looking for a red E36 M3 by the end of the year. [driving2]