Won't start nicely

I just got myself another e30 about a week ago (I'll post pics later :) ) but now I seem to have a small issue with it.
Whenever I start the car in the morning or after letting the car sit for a few hours the car has a hard time starting. It will turn over just fine but It will not start right up. After a second or sometimes 3rd try it will start up. After the car has started I can cut it off and try starting it up 10 more times and it will start immediately every time. Where should I be looking for the issue? Thanks in advance,
Brian.

I had the same issue and it was a faulty starter motor. When warm the motor starts easier and the battery is full and so it starts easy. When cold the starter wasn't quite turning it over fast enough.

It could also be a fueling issue or an issue with your cold start valve (ie also fuel).

I had the same issue and it was a faulty starter motor. When warm the motor starts easier and the battery is full and so it starts easy. When cold the starter wasn't quite turning it over fast enough.

It could also be a fueling issue or an issue with your cold start valve (ie also fuel).
That was my initial thought, but the guy i bought it from said that he installed a new starter motor. I'll check the other possibility though. Thanks,
Brian.

I can't speak directly to the E30, but this problem in general can be caused by a bad fuel system check valve. In fuel injection systems, there is usually a check valve in the fuel pump that holds system pressure when the car is turned off. This way, fuel is available immediately on startup.

When the check valve starts to leak and allows the fuel to drain back to the tank, the exact symptom you describe occurs. Overnight, all of the pressure is lost, and it must be built up on cold start. But on a restart, the fuel has not had enough time to completely leak back, so it starts fine.

That was my initial thought, but the guy i bought it from said that he installed a new starter motor. I'll check the other possibility though. Thanks,
Brian.
I have the same problem on my e30. I replaced the starter after burning it out starting the car and the problem is still there....

I think *my* issue was/is my fuel lines. One day it took wayyy longer than ususal and I could smell gas, opened the door, peaked underneath and it was pissing out of the feed and return line.
I will report back if the new fuel lines helps with starting...but that will be a while since I got some new parts to put on teh WRX 1st!

Another thing I've read on here in the 5 series forum is some tube at the fuel pump could be the culpirt. Some 5 series owners were changing this part and reporting the 'long start' issue to go away.

Hope these suggestions help, maybe check the condition of the fuel lines that run underneath.

Another thing I've read on here in the 5 series forum is some tube at the fuel pump could be the culpirt. Some 5 series owners were changing this part and reporting the 'long start' issue to go away.

Hope these suggestions help, maybe check the condition of the fuel lines that run underneath.
What I think you are refering to is the "fuel check valve" that you install on top of the fuel sender under the panel under the back seat.

when the in tank pump wears after age, it doesn't hold priming pressure for starting as well as it used to.

As a "quick fix" for the problem, you can install an external check valve that holds pressure even after you switch the engine off.

What I think you are refering to is the "fuel check valve" that you install on top of the fuel sender under the panel under the back seat.

when the in tank pump wears after age, it doesn't hold priming pressure for starting as well as it used to.

As a "quick fix" for the problem, you can install an external check valve that holds pressure even after you switch the engine off.

hmmm...dont think so. I thought it had to do with my fuel pump being old, but after i replaced it, the'long starting' issue was still there.

I will post back with my results of the new fuel lines, I certainly hope that is the case, I've been trying to track down the issue since I bought the car.

Last edited:
I will report back if the new fuel lines helps with starting...but that will be a while since I got some new parts to put on teh WRX 1st!

lol ^^

Thanks for the help man,
btw what are you doing with the WRX?

At what point on the fuel line should I install this check valve?
Thanks,
Brian.

lol ^^

Thanks for the help man,
btw what are you doing with the WRX?
Just some interior appearance stuff (boost & oil press guage, S-Shifter, knob), still under warranty so dont want to blow that out of the water!