Won’t start when hot outside

pks

I have an ’84 528e that will not start when it is hot outside. When it is moderate to cool outside it starts on the first. When it is hot the lights in the car comes on but the starter is not turning. I thought it might be the ignition relay but my Hyanes manual does not tell me where that reley is so I have not been able to replace it. Does anyone know where it goes? My friend thought it might be the solenoid. I have a new battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I vote for the soleniod. Had the same problem with an old Chevy. It's called heat soak. When the solenoid absorbes too much heat it doesn't work properly.

pks

Thanks jrtoons, it seems soleniod. I have cleaned all the contacts and cables without it solving the problem. Now, I was going to replace the starter, which would normally be a fairly easy task. However, it seemed almost impossible to reach the upper mounting bolt. Is there a way to get to this bolt or is the starter only fastened through the lower bolt and in the back of the starter.