would a 540i make a good road race car?

aaron

I am looking at the e36 m3 and the e39 540i (6speed)

We all know the m3 is well known threw racing circles for its great driver feed back and neutral handling. It always to me seemed a little under powered though.

How about the 540i?
It is not that much bigger than a 3 series. What is the weight difference?
I just think the 4.4 liter V8 can put out some serious power & good torque with proper modification. Plus the e39 is just flat out better looking IMHO.

So what do you think, would a 540i be a competitive road race car?

Tom

Staff Team
I saw a SC 540i at a meet earlier this year and it was amazing.

5-Series
Curb Weight: 3748 lbs.

M3
Curb Weight: 3175 lbs.

The 540's weight and recirculating ball steering mechanism put it at a disadvantage over an E36 M3 for a race car. It can be done, several have done it for One Lap or driving schools, but an E36 is going to have a lot more aftermarket availability in addition to the above inherent advantages.

If you want to increase the M3 power, go forced induction or transplant a european M3 engine, which is essentially the same as the engine in the current E46 M3. (321 hp v. 343)

there are several people that have done the 540 as a road car... with some success.

The issue with the 540 is that it is a tank...especially the touring (50/50 - spot on balance!)

The M5 also uses a reticulating ball setup... gives a slightly "plush" feel, but when push comes to shove... it is just a little different than other types of steering... some say worse... none would say the M5 handles like a dog....

Add the M5 rear sway or a Dinan setup (adjustable) and you can really reduce body roll, etc. Truely a competent car... likes the longer tracks...

stock is 280 - 285 range... can EASILY be chipped to produce close to 300 on 93 octane and over 320 torq (nice)

Dont rule out the M3 - Power is not EVERYTHING in racing... speed in the corners, out braking, etc really set the 2 apart. The M3 is truely a capable vehicle on the track... lighten her up, remove everything...exhaust, etc... really can put the power down