X3 Nav. Sys. & Sports Package ???

MJM

X3 Navigation System & Sports Package ???

Hi everyone! I have placed an order for a new X3 and I am interested to gain the opinions of forum members on a few items available on the X3.

My first question is related to the value of the on-board Navigation System. I don’t do a great deal of traveling in areas where I would need a Navigation System but there are several times each year when it would be helpful. Therefore I am trying to balance this need against the $1800.00 price. I see that some other functions of the X3 are displayed and controlled on the Navigation Screen if the vehicle has it installed, i.e. on-board computer information, control and display of radio functions and mobile phone control (if equipped). Does anyone have comments on the added value of the Navigation System for the price offered? In addition, is the inclusion of the Nav. System of any increased value or desirability upon re-sale or trade three or four years from now?

The second question relates to the inclusion of the Sports Package and the ride quality of it on the X3. The January 2004 edition of Car & Driver Magazine really rants about the poor ride quality of the tested X3 with the Sport Package and the optional (Style 114) wheel and 255/45R-18 (rear) 235/50R-18 (front) tires. (As a note, these are a different wheel and tire option than the regular Sport Package includes.) Based upon Car & Driver’s overt dislike for the ride quality of this car I am somewhat concerned. Most other on-line reviews have not been so critical of the ride quality. To my knowledge there are no X3 Demos to try at dealers with the Sport Package in my area in the Northeast. Has anyone been able to test-drive an X3 with the Sport Package? If so, how was the ride quality?

Thanks!

MJM

Last edited:
I just sold off my 325xiT and I got top dollar from Crevier BMW partly because it had the Nav system, so my experience is Yes, it will improve your resale value.

I am a computer support type, doing both pre-sales and post-sales work in LA at many different sites and I used the nav all the time.

When we took the wagon up to Portland, Oregon I could still use the CA-NV database CD for most navigation in Oregon and Washington, even tho I didn't have street-level detail (the X3 version is DVD-based so one disk has the entire country so we won't have that problem).

The demo here in CA was the 3.0i with Premium package, also no Sport. Personally, I don't see any reason to put a Sport package on an SAV. It is a little like using a greyhound for a sled dog...... If I wanted a hotrod, I'd have gotten a 330xi sedan and put the Sport Package on that, the SAV is for hauling people and towing a trailer, not winning Fastest Time of the Day at the Autocross.

My 2 cents, at least...

RT

MJM

Thanks RT!! I really appreciate your input on both issues. I am “on-the-fence” on the Navigation System only because of the price. Your experience in re-sale/trade-in value helps that decision.

I wanted the Sport Package primarily for the sport seats, 18-Inch wheels and tires, sports steering wheel and exterior trim. You can only get these things with the Sport Package as a group. Unfortunately the firmer suspension would be nice too if it wasn’t so stiff.

MJM

Last edited:
You're welcome.

Living in MA I would think you would want a nav system (at least on the eastern side). We lived in Concord and ended up making a wall map out of the highest resolution topo maps just to get a single large map of the area with a common design. Having Bedford road (in Concord) become Concord road (in Bedford) and no signs marking the main street, just the side streets got really old after a while. That, and the streets in Boston that looking like they chased a cow with an asphalt machine......

RT

A nav system is always a nice thing to have, regardless of resale value. If you don't get it you'll kick yourself later when you really wish you had it.

For the sport package - after driving an X3 w/ premium pkg only I couldn't justify the cost of the sport package since the handling was already very crisp and responsive. I read the C&D review too and can't understand it. They even went so far as to say that the non-sport option wasn't much better. Compare the X3 to the FX35/45! Now that FX has a HARSH ride, and the X3 was very comfortable by comparison. And the seats are comfortable and you won't miss the extra thigh support those seats in the sport package give you.

I'm looking forward to ordering me up a X3 in the spring!

edmunds also mentions that the ride is pretty good on the regular shocks and tires, and that sacrifices made for the sp may not be worth the trouble. on the other hand, you do get better steering wheel and clear out lights right? (this is a speculation on my part) i wanna get a test drive in when we get bunch o snow to see what that baby can really do ^^

btw dzervit, what dealership do you goto?