X5 4.8is Ad

epj3

Tom said:
Thanks Eric, that's pretty disappointing and not much of a boost over the 4.6.
I have a feeling it is an understatement, I heard somewhere else that it does 0 - 60 in 5.8 seconds, same as the 545i.

It's kind of like my car;

The regular 88 325i vs. the 88 325is, the speed difference isnt really that much (it's mostly becuase of the different tranny), but the important part is the suspension, body, and interior changes.

i'm considering getting rid of my M3 after the fall and looking at the 4.8is... i'd like anyone's opinion if you've driven either the 4.8 or 4.6. i'm sure they're similar. some minor diffs, but overall equal. i don't want to get a plush SUV with no spirit. I want something that makes a statement like the M3 does. any help would be appreciated. i'm looking in the next 6 months or so.

BMWBruin

4.8 test drive

I test drove a preproduction version of the 4.8 and have to admit that it knocked my socks off. The only vehicle I can even compare it to is my Porsche 911 C4S.

I have driven the MCoupe, MRoadster, 745i, M5 and many other BMWs, this SAV is truly remarkable. It seems way quicker than the 4.4 and is absolutely way more responsive than the Cayenne S (which was a major disappointment).

Welcome to the forum, BMWBruin.

The Cayenne S is a solid SUV, but if I were to get a Cayenne, I would only get the Turbo. The Cayenne S seems to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" SUV (and there are cheaper alternatives, such as the Touareg) and the regular Cayenne (3.2L V6 from the VW Passat, mated to a 6-speed manual) is just too slow to even wear the Porsche nametag.
At least with the Cayenne Turbo, you get standard height adjustable suspension (optional on the Cayenne S, but NOBODY opts for it) working with a 450hp biturbo V8 to make it an absolute monster on and off the roads.