2002 325Ci Covertible with Haywire Electronics!

Hello. I need some advice. My 2002 BMW 325 Ci convertible has some serious electrical issues that started two days ago. Here are the symptoms. Except for symptom #1, these issues come and go after several hours or a few minutes:
1. The airbag warning light on the dash lights constantly.
2. The trunk would not unlock at all, by key button or by hardwire button.
3. Cannot lock doors remotely (sometimes they lock and wont unlock)
4. When I remove the key after driving, a beeper sounds (same as headlight on beep) and wont stop.
5. Left door open light stays on, though door is closed. This stops when the engine is turned off and restarted.
6. Right door open light on dash lights for duration of one trip.
7. Blinkers do not work, left or right.
8. Hazards dont flash lights, but hazard button flashes when pushed.
9. Top will not go down.(Because of the intermittant nature of the problems, I am aftraid to drop the top because I may not be able to put it back up) The light on the console works, but the motor does not start.
10. Radio buttons unresponsive.
11. Cant control radio from steering wheel controls.
12. All dash lights flash bright then dim

I have checked the fuses, but no problems there. I do not know where the blinker relays are.

These problems all appeared two days ago. Advice, please!

John

An electrical gremlin has glitched the electronics, usually caused by:
- a dying battery
- a dying alternator
- a bad ground connection

Did it happen when you put the top up or down? My '99 does this sometimes.

How old is the battery? If it is the original, it's time.

To troubleshoot it:

Turn on the parking lights and disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour. Turn off the parking lights and reconnect the battery. See if most or all of the problems go away. You might still have a Check Engine light.

Sometimes the electronics get glitched to the point that it requires a dealer to reset and download the software. This happened to my 330 when the alternator failed.

Attachments

AHA!!! Water, Water, Everywhere!

>>>Turn on the parking lights and disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour. Turn off the parking lights and reconnect the battery. See if most or all of the problems go away. <<<

Youll never believe it. I went to the trunk to disconnect the battery and found GALLONS of water in the tire well and in the battery compartment.

Im just now drying everything out. I will reconnect and give you an update. This is clearly the reason; It was shorting due to all the water. I only hope the battery still has juice. It's only a year old.

John

Last edited: