2002 530i manual shifting

NE530i

Hi every1,
Any comments on optimum up-shifting (for best performance) speed/RPM? (ex: 1st to 2nd, etc...).
Any other experiences w/ performance on the subject is appreciated too...

What is the redline on the tachometer? Usually just about 500rpms shy of that is peak horsepower.

My 540 likes a 5,000 rpm shift point.

Usually you can get a "feel" for the car's optimum power range by experimenting with different shift points. Every car is just slightly different.

But don't constantly bounce off the rev limiter, it's a lot "softer" now but is still not good for the car.

Is this you first manual transmission car?

If you have driven one for a while you will know what I mean by "feel" of the power. [hihi]

Do you mean what is the best for performance driving or everyday driving? I don't think revving the car too much harms the engine at all... BMWs are made to be driven that way. As long as you don't go past the redline for long periods of time you should be fine, but check your car's fluids and all that crap before you do it.

NE530i

Thanks... I've driven manuals for some time now, and meant performance driving. Shifting at 3.5K-5K rpm gives me a great pickup. But I've seen a kind of a split-second hesitation specially from 1st to 2nd some of the time. I mentioned to the dealer and they said everything is fine. Wondering if anyone else has had a similiar issuse w/ 530i or 540i.

Let me guess - the hesitation happens when you are driving in a semi-performance mode. Maybe when you shift in the 3.5K range?

Same thing happens to my 540 when I’m in that 3.5-4K range and most noticed on the 1-to-2 shift because of the close ratio gearing.

I think it is most likely the engine computer trying to figure out what fuel map program to use (probably switching between them) when you are driving in a semi-performance mode. It is easier for the computer to figure out what map to use at consistent, extreme ranges of its fuel maps - lazy, fuel-efficient mode and all out pedal-to-the-metal performance mode.

Good old carburetors and mechanical fuel injection have a very different feel to them than the new computer fuel injection.

Fuel injection is nice and neat, efficient and can be tuned for real performance but a carburetor has more feel.

Or maybe you just suck at the 1-2 shift???[:)] ???

NE530i

Thanks for the info. and your kind words[:)] I kinda agree w/ your thing about the computer controlled system, however, I see my problem in 0-3K rpm range. Recently, I've noticed that it happens more often when Im' driving on the last 1/4 of the tank.
BTW, I tried skipping too and it didn't work (I thought you can only do that on a bicycle [:)])

Escalate the problem with the dealer. If you are not happy then they shouldn't be either[mad]

I have this weird hesitation that I first thought was the automatic slip reduction (or whatever BMW calls the traction control) now that I think about it. Only under very specific conditions. I tried turning off the ASR but it still happens. Seems like turning right and going uphill at a light on my way to work the car feels like it is loosing fuel or something. It happens there almost every day regardless of how much gas is in the tank and has happened to me in one other spot under similar conditions. I just drop a gear and rev higher now because I think it is just not enough power under that specific circumstance. But maybe it is a beginning of the problem you are experiencing.

I'll have to keep an eye on it. [8]

NE530i

I'll definitely follow up on it w/ the dealer. I couldn't duplicate the problem last time I was at the dealer (It is very inconsistent). I don't think you'll start to see the same issue, since my car eventhough it is 2002, was purchased and the very end of 2002 and haven't even taken it for the 1st oil change yet (at 13k mi.). I've feeling it is probably a minor adjustment that is needed. Overall, i think the perfomance/handling of this car it just amazing (i.e 0-60 in 6.8 secs. [driving] )

awesome link NE530i...i have heard of that but i never knew u could disable it w/out messing up the car's brain....are you going to do it? tell us how the car feels afterwards

I don't believe the hype. There is probably some other reason that BMW went through the trouble to engineer this valve and place it on their cars. It costs a lot of money to design, produce, install and service even a small part such as this one.

I thought about it when I first got my car but have reconsidered.

Oh man, I wouldn't mess with that. I don't believe that the CDV actually causes more wear to the transmission, but I do believe that little guy is the reason why every time I shift gears, my passengers' heads bob back and forth. I just tell my passengers to sit farther back into the chair (which is what I do) and it resolves the problem.