2004 M3 Vs. 2004 S4

I'm going to order a 2004 M3 this coming Saturday.
I've decided to buy one now and trade it in for an M4, three to four years later.
Three years is a long time, who knows what will happen by then?
Who knows? I might even be able to afford an M5 or maybe even M6 by then.
I can't believe I was considering a Mini Cooper...

Thank you everyone for your help.

I'll be posting here regularly, I'm depending on you guys to further help me for modifications and with parts.

Thanks again.

Chippy

Paper Tiger,

Have you done it yet? If not, read on:

I was in a very similar position to you - I have *always* wanted an M3, ever since it was launched. They have always been more money than I could justify, but a couple of months back I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy one. But before I did, I saw a couple of reviews of this Audi S4 thing, so I thought I would have to check that out too.

So I arranged a test drive of the Audi, and it was just absolutely stunning. Screaming fast, amazing engine, *astonishing* handling. However I was still convinced I wanted an M3 and the next day I went to the BMW dealer and very very very nearly bought one straight off. But at the last moment I thought I had better have a test drive just to make sure. A formality, naturally??

But I was extremely disappointed. Compared to the Audi, the BMW was much more "raw"; less refined. You probably have more "feel" in the BMW, but it felt harsh by comparison. The handling and grip (and this was with the 19" rims with Continental tyres) was nothing like as good as the Audi. More depressing was how *slow* the M3 was. Yes, if you are doing 6,000 rpm and you floor it, then it goes. But at say 2,500 rpm, nothing doing. The M3 felt gutless compared to the Audi. The build quilty was worse too, and to cap it all, it didn't even sound as good. The sound of the Audi V8 is just awesome.

To be honest I couldn't really believe what I had found. I thought my mind must have been playing tricks on me and I *still* wanted an M3. So I convinced myself that perhaps the Audi wasn't that good. I must have remembered it wrong. So I arranged another test drive on an S4 with another dealer. Slightly immoral, because I had zero intentions of buying one. I went solely to rule the S4 out. Surely it would not now seem so special after I had driven the M3.

But I was wrong! 100 yards down the road I could see how much better a car the Audi was. It was just as good as I had remembered it. Better than the M3 in vitually every respect: faster (in the real world. yes the BMW is faster in a straight line 0-60, but for actually driving around on real roads, and through the gears, the Audi is faster). *tons* more grip; better built; more comfortable; cheaper; cheaper to insure; safer - especially in the wet.

I know this is not what everyone here wants to hear on this forum. How can the S4 *possibly* be a better car than the M3? It just can't be can it. But be *really* honest with yourselves: How many of you have actually *driven* the new S4.

There is so much BMW-worship around, its hard to cut through the crap. Don't trust what *anyone* says. Not here, not the magazines, not the TV shows. Go and drive the S4 and make up your own mind.

BTW. I have had my S4 for around 6 weeks now and I am completely totally and utterly wowed by it. Its an amazing car.

Cheers,

Chip.

Last edited: