2009 Z4 Info and pic

Feast your eyes on BMW’s all-new sports car: the Z4. Due to go on sale at the end of next year, the Porsche Boxster rival is being given a fresh look, with a bulging bonnet hump, larger twin kidney grilles and wide stance.
The original ‘flame surfacing’ styling, pioneered by former BMW design chief Chris Bangle, is still present, but it’s been toned down with a simpler, more athletic shape.
And the newcomer has a big trick up its sleeve: a folding metal roof. This retractable steel top will be similar in design to that on the company’s latest 3-Series Convertible, and will be offered alongside a traditional soft-top model. The Z4 will also feature a new range of powerful engines, including a twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six. There’s also the possibility of diesel power – which would be a first for the range.
A flagship M model could get the new 4.0-litre V8 from the M3 – although most versions will still be sold with four-cylinder and normally aspirated six-cylinder petrol powerplants. BMW’s new seven-speed SMG DCT twin-clutch transmission will also be available in the roadster for the first time.
All models will benefit from the manufacturer’s Efficient Dynamics programme, which uses stop/start technology to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy.
Under the skin, the platform is shared with the latest 3-Series, so the rear-wheel-drive Z4 will continue to offer sharp handling.

Attachments

I don't like the way the lines from the bonnet curve down under the kidney grill and give a big dopey grin. Then again, the z4 has always looked better from behind. (cue comments along the lines of thats the only way I'll see it anyway.. lol)

Seriously though, the sharp lines of the original were the reason it looked so much more masculine than the z3 and moved it away from hairdresser status (sorry big daddy).

the new z4 is seriously looking more and more like the Mazda RX-8, which is a huge compliment if u ask me. :) the 09's twin turbos on that z4 are going to kick some serious butt if they keep the car light.

i do hope the 16x Renesis will step up to the plate in 2010 and be able to at least match all the new competition. i really like the z4, but i still like all the practical aspects of the 8 that u don't get in a straight 2-seater coupe.

G**damnit!

I literally have an Autotrader page open in the next window full of Z4's.... Great, now I can't in good conscious buy the current model when the new one looks that cool....

Last edited by a moderator: