3 Across America- Seattle- My review

So yesterday I went along to the Westin Seattle and on the 4th floor there it was- quite simply the best launch party ever!!! There were cabaret dancers, Tigers on stage and even clowns!! CLOWNS I tell ya!!

I'm kidding of course, unless you consider the new 3 a Clown car.

The new 3- it looks OK. And by OK, I mean unoffensive, mildly improved and pleasant. Pleasant like quilted toilet tissues are over regular ones.

This car is obviously in line with Beemer's new design language. Which to me is neither dynamic nor exciting. The car's Bangle 'Light' styling is not jarring at least, like it is on the 5. The 3's lines seem to flow better from front to back and it definitely looks better in the flesh than in photos.

Yes it has more interior features (push button start, adaptive cruise control, active steering and iDrive (whoopee). But it's also picked up a few tacky features too (the driver's cup holder now sits above the passenger's left knee- so good luck with wet cans! Also the window switches are behind the grab bar on the arm rests in the doors- so you have to reach around). The dashboard is wide and flat and lacks that 'cockpit' feeling that my car has.

As for the exterior styling- there are some thoughtful design features, like a graceful character line in the hood that blends into a horizontal facet at the waist, and a neat front air dam design that looks like it's inspired by the new M5's. But there's tackiness here too-- the taillights look positively cheap and the whole back end reminds me of a 90s Nissan!

Bottom line- it's definitely not out of the running as a replacement for my car when the lease runs out in 07. If the Coupe's tail lights are cooler, I may be sold! By then however, the new Lexus IS will be out and perhaps Alfa Romeo will be back in the US....

If my own sentiment is any indicator, the only competition this car has for current 3 series owners is their current car. [hihi]