325 or G35??

eynlai

Need help from you Bimmer Heads. I'm in the process of getting a new car. I have my eyes on the entry level, so I'm only looking for either a 2006 BMW 325 OR a Infiniti G35, both in manual tranny. This will be a ultilitarian vehicle for me because whenever I can I ride my Suzuki Hayabusa as a main form of transportation in this traffic ridden town we call Los Angeles. It will mainly be used when I: go out with my girlfriend, grocery shopping, can't ride because it's too cold, too hot, or too wet from rain. So the only thing I want to upgrade is the headlamps to Xenon (I upgraded my Hayabusa to that and am hooked on the visibility at night, plus I do have astigmatism).

I've not gotten a quote on the G35 yet, but a BMW dealership in downtown L.A. quoted me $33720 out the door price (but will take 10 weeks to build because what I'm asking for doesn't exist on the west coast).

Few questions:

#1. Is $33720 OTD a good price for a basic 325 sedan, manual tranny, xenon, everything else standard?

#2. I'm not really concerned all that much about the "ultimate driving machine" because I have my ultimate riding machine (the Hayabusa), but still would like a lively car. So can I also get that from the G35? I heard for the approximate same price, there's more features that's standard than the BMW.

#3. I don't remember where, but I heard that BMW has a myrid of mechanical problems, consuming 1 quart of engine oil in 2000 miles, little knick-knack problems like blown brake lights, signal lights, etc... Is the mechanical reliability of a BMW really inferior to the famous Japanese reliable cars?

Your input is appreciated.

By the way, I'm not the type of guy that likes to change cars all the time. That's why I'll finance and keep it until I decide to give it away. My current car, 1997 Acura 2.2cl manual tranny that still runs like a champ and good aesthetic condition is going to my girlfriend.

Welcome to the forum.

The G35 always presents a strong case against the 3-Series because it is cheaper and faster. You will get more luxury and better build quality out of the BMW, as well as a few more features here and there. BMW does have a good amount of problems with its vehicles, usually electronic, but they do get fixed at your dealership. If you browse forums, you will naturally see more people complaining about their problems because for all the BMW owners who's cars are running great, they basically don't have much to post about - this is not an insult by any means, just the truth. The Infiniti will be less likely to have problems, though. The 325i and G35 are pretty solid competitors, you just have to decide if you want more features/luxury/quality or if you want more bang for your buck.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
Don't listen to him everything he says are lies, lies, lies. Buy the BMW they are a more sought after brand, have better resale value, and are actually a LUXURY CAR, plus you have more features, newer technologies, better built engine, longer life, and the 2006 BMW 3 Series is the car of the year, keep in mind he owns a InFin G35-String so what does that tell you? Infiniti is a Nissan only sold in the US what does that tell you about pride in the brand. The InFin is simply a marketing car for a brand that can’t make it on its own. The BMW has a more original design and has been doing so for over 75 years, Dat only created InFin 15 years ago, sad sad sad.

hey, welcome aboard. man that hayabusa sounds NICE!!

interesting that you want a manual tranny in LA. guess i won't be hearing about the "driving a manual in traffic" complaints from you on that front i suppose..

anyway, as i tell everyone i come across, before anything, TEST DRIVE, then go back and test drive some more. and find the care you like. your first impression will mostly be off, since you'll be in awe of what the car can do, so you'll overlook many important day to day points. but upon second of third visit, you'll feel more natural, and become a better judge of a car.

as for g35 v 325. it is a no brainer for me. G35, since i'm performance over luxury, but 325 is still nice. overall tho, g35 v 330 is a better comparison, if you don't care about the money issue. seems like many of the 3 series buyers in the past few years went over this debate, and chose one or the other. Emile is the one that chose the g35, and i chose the 330i. (and in the process ended up with near back breaking payments.. [:(] but still i'm glad i made the choice that i made, so that's that.)

good luck on the decision. at least it really is tough to go wrong with those two cars..

eynlai

Average Jae said:
hey, welcome aboard. man that hayabusa sounds NICE!!

interesting that you want a manual tranny in LA. guess i won't be hearing about the "driving a manual in traffic" complaints from you on that front i suppose..

that's why I have the Hayabusa. So I DON'T have to drive a manual tranny in L.A. traffic when I don't have to. I just have to worry about having people close gap on me why I'm splitting lanes.

That's some good pointers. I just have to either find a cool dealership that will let me test drive 3 times, or go to 3 different dealers. Funny thing is that on Kelly Blue book, the MSRP and Invoice price between the 325 and the G35 is very close, in fact seems the G35 is a bit higher. that's of coarse not counting the added on features of the G35 that is considered standard verses the 325 as a add-on ($$$) option.

By the way, no one commented if $33720 OTD is a reasonable price. The sales guy said he's only adding $800 over invoice + the $800 for the Xenon. The rest is tax, DMV, etc....

sly

Don't listen to him everything he says are lies, lies, lies.
Where did he lie?

Buy the BMW they are a more sought after brand, have better resale value, and are actually a LUXURY CAR, plus you have more features, newer technologies, better built engine, longer life...
Do you have any data to support all of those claims?

eynlai: I presently own a G35 coupe, but I've also owned BMWs in the past including an '02M3. Nothing wrong with BMWs except for the fact that they are way over priced IMO.
My '05 G35 has a 298 HP engine, six speed manual tranny with short throw shifter, 19 inch forged aluminum alloy wheels, sport tuned suspension, 12.6" ventilated disc brakes, HID Xenon headlights, and premium package that includes a Bose audio system with 8 speakers, 6 disc CD, sunroof, and homelink transmitter. I paid $34K for my car or less than $300 more than what you will pay for your 325.

If I were you I'd test drive the two cars and make my choice.

BTW do your own research and decide for yourself if the G35 is a quality product. Unbiased sorces like Consumer Reports would be a good starting point. The six cylinder engine used in the G35 has been around for over 15 years and like most Japanese engines is essentially bulletproof. A detuned version of the G35's engine was in the I30 which I bought in 1996 and which my son is presently driving. The engine has over 175K miles and no mechanical issues up to this point in time.

One last point. As far as resale value is concerned, most sources I've read indicate that the G35 and especially the G35 coupe holds its value quite well.

sly

Need help from you Bimmer Heads. I'm in the process of getting a new car. I have my eyes on the entry level, so I'm only looking for either a 2006 BMW 325 OR a Infiniti G35, both in manual tranny.

I almost forgot, check out the September issue of Motor Trend for a comparison of the A4, G35, and 330. Actually the G35C is a natural competitor for the 330 rather than the 325. I don't believe even BMW would suggest that the 325 and G35 are competitors.

I'm not sure about the pricing being good or not, since i'm not in the market for the 06 3er. i think sites like edmunds actually gives you the invoice price, so you can check it out there.

let me reiterate: g35 and 325 are competitors only when it comes to pricing! in the performance front, it is as Rich said. and while it is becoming harder to justify the BMW premium, if you can cover the money issue, 3er is the best you can buy in the class. (even if it maybe the "best" by a slim margin.)

Eddie, i think you can keep going back to the same salesman to get extra test drives. they want to sell you a car, and you are serious about it, but need to know for sure. if they are gonna give you crap about what you want, then simply F-em. i mean you are gonna drop near 35k w/ tax and what not, why shouldn't you be sure? and its not like you are some 17 year old kid looking to kill time and bragging rights. [;)] they should understand, if not take your business elsewhere, or a different sales person.

sly

I agree with Average Jae with respect to the test drives. We all have to find the car that is right for us and if it takes several test drives to be sure, so be it. I never test drove the 325, it just doesn't have enough HP for my needs, but I did test drive the 330 and the decision I made was based on price. Although I liked the 330 more than the G35, i didn't like it $10K more. But that's my assessment. Some people want the best regardless of the premium that they have to pay, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It seems that the only thing swaying people from purchasing any 3 series is the price. Put it aside and i can say that all those that chose the G will more than likely pick the 3 hands down. But we cannot ignore the premium that these Germans call for. Some people justify it with its exclusivity (is that a word?); this point has been beaten very well. All I can say is agree with Jae and test drive both of them. If you are trying to compare the 325 with the G35, you will find out that the G will be more car for the money; its a no brainer. But the price your salesman gave you for the 325 seems high for what you specified.

sly

HornyHornet: The E90 3 series offer lots of technological innovations. It's up to the individual buyer if they are worth the premium. As far as exclusivity, I don't think BMW has that to offer any longer. There's just too many of them on the road. As a matter of fact about a quarter of the cars on the High School lot near me are BMWs. There's even a few early model E46 M3s on the lot.

I agree with Horny's and sly's statements, and yeah there really is no more exclusivity for BMW anymore. The 3-Series has turned into the spoiled high school kid's car. Anyways, pricing aside, the only advantage the G has to offer is the more powerful engine.

325 = "luxury" (a bit high priced, but justified by the high esteem people hold for BMW).

G35 = "performance" (under-priced compared to BMW, more bang for the buck).

Take your pick!

Good luck! [driving2]

P.S. - $33,000 seems about right to me, since where I live you can get 325s with auto tranny for $35,000 and more.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
eynlai said:
Need help from you Bimmer Heads. I'm in the process of getting a new car. I have my eyes on the entry level, so I'm only looking for either a 2006 BMW 325 OR a Infiniti G35, both in manual tranny. This will be a ultilitarian vehicle for me because whenever I can I ride my Suzuki Hayabusa as a main form of transportation in this traffic ridden town we call Los Angeles. It will mainly be used when I: go out with my girlfriend, grocery shopping, can't ride because it's too cold, too hot, or too wet from rain. So the only thing I want to upgrade is the headlamps to Xenon (I upgraded my Hayabusa to that and am hooked on the visibility at night, plus I do have astigmatism).

I've not gotten a quote on the G35 yet, but a BMW dealership in downtown L.A. quoted me $33720 out the door price (but will take 10 weeks to build because what I'm asking for doesn't exist on the west coast).

Few questions:

#1. Is $33720 OTD a good price for a basic 325 sedan, manual tranny, xenon, everything else standard?

#2. I'm not really concerned all that much about the "ultimate driving machine" because I have my ultimate riding machine (the Hayabusa), but still would like a lively car. So can I also get that from the G35? I heard for the approximate same price, there's more features that's standard than the BMW.

#3. I don't remember where, but I heard that BMW has a myrid of mechanical problems, consuming 1 quart of engine oil in 2000 miles, little knick-knack problems like blown brake lights, signal lights, etc... Is the mechanical reliability of a BMW really inferior to the famous Japanese reliable cars?

Your input is appreciated.

By the way, I'm not the type of guy that likes to change cars all the time. That's why I'll finance and keep it until I decide to give it away. My current car, 1997 Acura 2.2cl manual tranny that still runs like a champ and good aesthetic condition is going to my girlfriend.

First off the $33,750 price you mentioned for the 06 325i sounds about right, if not good. As for getting the most out of the drive, I'd say if you want to get from 0-60 in 6.2 seconds instead of 7.2 and burn more gas along the way get the G35. Otherwise the BMW is the right car, especially coming from an Acura you'll appreciate the luxury more than Nissans bland sporty feel.

I don't get all the garbage responses claiming the G35 wins hands down compared to the NEW 325i or that "BMW wouldn't even dare compare the 325i to the G35" humungous bullshit claim regarding performance. The new 325i practically matches the E46 330i for performance and last time I checked the current G35 (which is the same from previous years, with some more horses) WAS NOT better than the E46 330i on anything besides acceleration and price. That's why BMW emptied their inventory of 2005 330i's when they discounted 7k off msrp, since the excuse to go cheap and buy the G wasn't there anymore. Infact the ZHP is just as fast if not faster than the G35 sedan, who cares if it doesn't feel faster. Would the person who said that appreciate it if the car rattled a little more or wasn't as snug so they could feel gravity pull?

The reliability problems you mentioned are from the older, previous model. The oil consumption is with the previous 3.0 ltr I6, not the new one. BMW completely redesigned the new I6. Besides those engines that consume all that oil probably were not broken in correctly. Lets not forget people buy these cars for performance driving and chances are they unreligously revved the hell out of it and werent completely honest in their post about their speculation on the causes of their minor problems...

So to sum it up if you appreciate a car which copies BMW, accelerates faster, and has touchy make-me-sea-sick brakes then get the tail happy G35 sedan, otherwise let your salesman make good on those numbers he quoted you.

When I said "exclusivity", I meant BMWs are solely BMWs. Others like Lexus with their ES model is almost a mirror image of the Camry, with the badging aside. Until recently Maximas and Q45 we identical, Pathfinders and QX45 were identical. Now the Armanda and QXs are twins; how about the Land Cruiser and the LX (where's the difference). I know that some opinions say that the new 3 looks japanese; to me they do not look like anything japanese...or korean. As Im typing this, I realize they the Asian car makers have gone a long way making their luxury vehicles completely different than their main brand (Infiniti Gs and Ms). But back then, can you justify paying the premium for a QX45 instead of the Pathfinder in its finest form? Yes different rationality, but the exclusive BMW make is now what makes part of the premium cost. I do agree of the rising numbers of BMWs on the roads (or schools), but 'round here they are mostly older models. I can count on one hand the E90s and E60s I have seen passing. It goes to show the desire to drive a "Bimmer". This desire and BMWs' unmistakable design play a major part of the extra premium they demand.

sly

I don't get all the garbage responses claiming the G35 wins hands down compared to the NEW 325i or that "BMW wouldn't even dare compare the 325i to the G35" humungous bullshit claim regarding performance

Would you care to show me any magazine that compares the 325 to the G35. Two recent magazine articles from Motor Trend, and Car and Driver compare the G35 to the 330 and not the 325. Now maybe in your mind the 330 and 325 are nearly identical, but I don't believe you will find many people sharing your view.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
sly said:
I don't get all the garbage responses claiming the G35 wins hands down compared to the NEW 325i or that "BMW wouldn't even dare compare the 325i to the G35" humungous bullshit claim regarding performance

Would you care to show me any magazine that compares the 325 to the G35. Two recent magazine articles from Motor Trend, and Car and Driver compare the G35 to the 330 and not the 325. Now maybe in your mind the 330 and 325 are nearly identical, but I don't believe you will find many people sharing your view.
Actually the 325i and 330i are identical with the exception of the badge, power output, subtile cosmetic features, standard suspension, and maybe a few options.

lets go back a few years to Motor Trend and Car and Driver say 2003 when the 184hp E46 325i beat the 260hp G35....

The G35 is LESS of a car than the 325i who cares if it's a second faster... Factor in technology, features, and quality and then recompare the cars. Besides those two car magazines are not the ultimate automotive authority. 0-60 times and HP ratings shouldn't really matter unless ofcourse you're a redlight racer. If having the quickest 0-60 time is all that matters to you, then thats your personal preference but how can you make bullshit claims like the above "bmw wouldnt dare compare the two" based on power alone. If the guy wanted objective advice then at least be true to the request, tell him the G35 is faster and if all he wants is 0-60 in 6.2 seconds then the G35 is for him, but don't undercut the luxury factor.

Come to think of it the NEW NISSAN ALTIMA does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds looks like you're left behind now.... oh wait some kids modded a civic to do 0-60 in 5 seconds looks like the G35 and the modded riced out 94 civic are no longer comparable ( NISSAN wouldn't DARE compare the G35 to the RicedCivic94 car now would they?)

yo bmw325i, sly was basically saying what you just said. He wasn't bashing the 325i, he was saying it's a great car with all the luxury and features of the 330i yet just a little bit slower (which he said is not slow at all, at that). I think you took it the other way around, he was actually defending BMW in his post.