325i or 325xi

newbuyer

I will be moving to Las Vegas Nevada. The only real traveling I will be doing is to Riverside Ca (about 4 hours). Should I spend the extra cash on the 325xi. I am told they are safer. But, will I need it? Your opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cynthia

sly

Safer in areas that get lots of snow. Otherwise it's a waste of money IMO. If I lived in an area like Alaska, I'd get an AWD car with radial snow tires. For areas like the northeast with moderate snow falls, a 325 with radial snow tires will give you satisfactory traction on snow covered roads.

Big Daddy

Sure an "ix" model is safer in the sense that it has AWD and any AWD car will handle "safer" in any condition but is it over kill in areas where snow is rare? Yes, as you loose mileage and you are increasing your wear and tear as there are more moving parts. All Suburus are AWD as well, but I would not buy it unless I drove in adverse conditions on a regular basis. Get the 325i and enjoy!

If you are thinking of AWD, stick to Audi or Subaru. They have the best AWD for the money. Living in a place that does not snow, the DSC will do just fine. A 325xi or 330xi is not to practical unless you will be planning ski trips to Lake Tahoe/Big Bear.