330i or 330Xi

agarbati

Ok, this is another one of those I need advice posts.

I live in frigid Minnesota and winters can be pretty icy and snowy. Albeit they do a good job of salting the crap out of the blacktop. Should I wait for the Xi, due in November according to the dealer, or should I go with the RWD? Has anyone had any comparative experience on both of them in winter?

Also, seems like the two dealers we have here in Minneapolis aren't budging from MSRP. Anybody else getting a better price?

You can expect to pay MSRP for the brand-new car. Unfortunately, if you aren't willing to pay MSRP, they will find someone else who will. As for your driving in the snow, we have covered this issue quite a bit. If you go with a 330i, you will do just fine and dandy if you invest in a set of snow tires for the winter. If you plan on getting the Sport Package which should include the high-performance summer tires, snow tires is the only way to go during the winter, as the summer tires will not even get proper traction in temperatures under 40 degrees (even in the dry and in the rain!).
Your other option is to hold out for the 330xi which will have the AWD and will be equipped with all-season tires and you won't have to worry about swapping tires in and out.
Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. It is a general consensus that if you prefer the dynamics of a rear-wheel drive vehicle and you live in an area that gets a significant amount of snow, you are best off going with a 330i w/Sport Package and just getting a set of snow tires for the winter months. If you don't care about any of that, the 330xi will serve as a good year-round vehicle that is ready for all weather conditions.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Since niether of the cars came out I don't think anyone can advise you on them. It might be a good idea to go with the current E46 330i since you can pick up a 43k MSRP loaded one for around 35k and it's one heck of a deal. You can probably pick up a 330xi for 3-4k off mrsp now too.

Bmw 325i 7803 said:
Since niether of the cars came out I don't think anyone can advise you on them. It might be a good idea to go with the current E46 330i since you can pick up a 43k MSRP loaded one for around 35k and it's one heck of a deal. You can probably pick up a 330xi for 3-4k off mrsp now too.
sounds like a very good deal, I'd go with E46 anyway cos it looks much better. Besides, it's always wiser to go with late production years cars - much less bugs there.

hey, welcome to the board man! as a 330i driver in michigan i can tell you this: get a second winter car if you opt for the 330i w/ sports pkg, or get the xi, or an audi quatro.

i picked up snows this past winter, and it was great, on most of the days: in snow, slush, sunny etc. i had no problems. the only problem i had was when the snow accumulated over 4-5 inches. due to the lower ground clearance of the stiffer shocks, i just couldn't navigate due couple snow storms. if you live in an area where they clear the snow off on a regular basis, you'd be ok, but otherwise, beware of the low ground clearance. (that's prolly why the xi rides taller and doesn't have the sports package.)

reason why i recommend the audi is simple: quattro. simply the best awd system out there, and not all awds are created equal. i personally didnt' like the performance of it vs the 330i, and yes apples and oranges, but whatever, i opted for the 330i.

lastly all the technical things about the e90 is amazing, but with tech comes more issues. i hope that's not the case, but it still is a gamble. you just never know..

agarbati

Great, thanks for the replies - keep 'em coming. I am leaning towards the 330i with snow tires combo. The dealership was telling me that the 330xi will probably cost $2200 more. I guess I could invest that in good snow tires. Anyone know how much a good set costs, mounted and all?

Thanks guys.

depending on what size you can get away with. there might be 16s that fits a 330i, and would be the cheapest way to go. if you opt for 17s, i think my set came out to about $13-$1400.

dunlop wintersport m3s are supposed to be really nice. when i got my pilot alpin a2s last year, dunlops were out of stock.. one lesson: get your snows early!

In a snowy area like where you are at I would 100% go with the AWD! Sorry but RWD and snow tires--I dont care what car it is sucks in the winter snow and slushy roads! If you go with just the RWD then get you another beater 4-wheel drive something. You will have no fun in that BMW with RWD in the winter.

I live in Alaska and I have no doubt Im getting the 330IX (E90) when they come out in Nov!

Booyah:

Alaska might be a different story but in regular winter conditions snow tires will serve just fine. Thats assuming you know how to drive well.

TSilver,

Really some people out in the more northern states get more snow than we do--although I think our season stays around a little longer. Im just saying anyplace that has any amount of snow for a couple months should consider the AWD if thats there primary car......Thats all

Steve, i'm with you on that awd deal. it really depends on how long your winter is tho. if it only snows couple months out of the year, rwd would be a good choice. if yer covered in snow for half a year, awd would be a better answer.

but winter driving is mostly smart driving over having an awd. its almost cliche now, but awd won't help you stop, or defy gravity. but it does add to your false confidence. at the end of a snowy day, awd w/ snows tops em all. but for light snow driving, rwd w/ snow's prolly better than awd with a/s tires.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Or you can try RWD with all seasons and careful grandma-style driving. Works well in the northeast, besides when it's snow storming you shouldn't be on the road anyway...

Prolixer

The 330xi is a great car - I have one - but it corners like a boat due to the increased ride height. If you don't mind excessive body roll during cornering, then the AWD is great - but if you enjoy spirited driving (during the summer months, obviously), and you want a car that is more neutral in the corners, then you will be a bit disappointed with the 330xi.

Prolixer

Hopefully BMW will offer sport suspension on the new 330xi. The issue of the E46 330xi's was not only bad the lack of sport suspension, but it also sits 0.8" higher for better ground clearance in bad weather.

Prolixer

MrElussive said:
The issue of the E46 330xi's was not only bad the lack of sport suspension, but it also sits 0.8" higher for better ground clearance in bad weather.
Yea, it's amazing how much of a difference 0.8" can make in a cars handling. You can get rid of some of this increased ride height with a Dinan Stage 2 or 3 suspension system, but the Stage 2 costs $1,219 for parts and another $1,000 for labor at your local BMW dealership, so it's an expensive fix. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gotten a 330i and used snow tires in the winter months. Here is the Dinan setup...........

Part #: D190-3262K
Price:$1219.00
Labor Units: 90.0
List of Included Items: Performance Spring Set; Koni Adjustable Shocks; 22mm Adjustable Rear Anti-roll Bar.
Special Notes: Suspension System employs stock front struts and anti-roll bar; struts and front anti-roll bar not included.
Point Value: 5

The Stage 2 Suspension for the 330xi adds the larger and adjustable 22mm Rear Anti-roll Bar to the Stage 1 System for improved control over body roll. The 330xi suspensions do not include front struts or anti-roll bar (stock components are employed with Dinan springs and rear shocks).

Prolixer, off of TireRack you can get a set of H&R Springs for $230 for the whole set...plus a couple hundred for installation and it will lower your car 1.2" in the front and 1.0" in the rear. Or you can go with a full H&R Coil-Over Kit for $1,300 plus installation and you can adjust the suspension to the ride height you prefer and ride/handling characteristics that best suit your driving.