335I Twin Turbo Dyno Run

What's there to be pissed about? It's evolution; with new technology and car production evolution it only a matter of time before manufactures make faster better handling cars. It was only a matter of time before a non-M car would out perform the E46 M3. It can't stay king forever. Just like when the new M3 comes out. It will restore the pecking order in the BMW line of cars….

With that said, I am sure there will be some M3 owners a little upset.....

That's what turbo charging can do for a very well built 3.0-liter inline-six. Looks like BMW found a way to help with the dreaded turbo lag as well. You know the after market companies are going to have a field day with this motor.....

The front angle looks nice. from the rear it looks like the old honda accord. Nice performance numbers !

just think of how many m3 owners would get pissed at the fact that a newer non m3 could stomp them out
Huh? The article says that on the track the E46 M3 was still faster than the 335i. Remember, peak horsepower is not everything, and this is a great example of it.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
Kirby said:
Huh? The article says that on the track the E46 M3 was still faster than the 335i. Remember, peak horsepower is not everything, and this is a great example of it.
Thats what I have always said, HP don't mean nothin' unless you can rev the engine to a resonable level.

It is a very sexy car though.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Kirby said:
But yeah ok....straight line 0-60 with HP numbers in the same region...AND given the lag in the engine(could very well be a 0.2sec lag?) that is pretty damn good still......so still a great example..ehhh maybe.

Yeah, it is definitely impressive. All I was getting at is that just because they calculated it to be 350 peak hp, which is 17 hp more than the E46 M3, doesn't mean it's faster than the M3, and their tests proved it.

As you probably know, peak horsepower on a turbo is just that, almost a spike at a narrow RPM band. N/A engines will have a wider power band, that's why the M3 is still faster. But it is impressive by any measure!

So honestly nobody noticed the cars torque is the same at the wheels as the engine? It must not weight anything at all [confused]

Edit: NVM, theres a mistake there.. I finally read the article, and they believe the engine is likely putting out closer to 350 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque.. But at first glance into the performance data chart, you will notice they put the engine hp/tq for the M3, but the hp/tq at the wheels for the 335i, which was a bit confusing.

adrean8j

1000 Post Club
Kirby said:
Yeah, it is definitely impressive. All I was getting at is that just because they calculated it to be 350 peak hp, which is 17 hp more than the E46 M3, doesn't mean it's faster than the M3, and their tests proved it.

As you probably know, peak horsepower on a turbo is just that, almost a spike at a narrow RPM band. N/A engines will have a wider power band, that's why the M3 is still faster. But it is impressive by any measure!
That is still not much difference though....I have seen "european" M3's - 343hp race against "american" M3's - 333hp and the european M3's didnt seem to be any faster either.....the very minor differences in Hp(in the 10-20hp range) dont really matter unless on the straight-aways at the track for the most part......nevertheless I agree with you that it IS impressive and I myself may not even buy an M3 in the future and get the 335ci w/sport package that i KNOW will come out(due to the myriad upcoming aftermarket possibilities!!! [thumb])