335i vs. my MBZ E350

I'm always good about engine break-in periods, and since I have almost 1000 babied miles on my 08' E350 Sport...I enjoyed a little fun today.

I'm at a red light, and these 3 teenagers in a new 335i sedan pull up next to me. I can see by the way they were inching forward, even though the light was red, and the way they kept glancing over, that they wanted to go at it. They were probably thinking this "older" dude in his big E-Class with the baby seat in the back is so going to be dusted [target]

I put my car in tiptronic mode, and when the light turned green I just gased it. I was surprised how fast and strong my E pulled away (270lbs torque available between 1000-1500rpm). I actually smoked the 335i off the line, and thru the intersection. Of course the Bimmer's 300hp & torque totally took me over, but I think this "older" dude in his big Mercedes surprised them [hihi] It could also have been that I'm a better driver than the BMW driver, but it still was fun to take them by surprise!

I have to say that the 335i sound SO much better than even the E46 M3. The 335i is deep, throaty and very aggressive sounding. The E46 M3 always had that high-pitched, metallic sound.

Once I hit 50mph in the 40mph zone, I laid off the gas right away. "Older" dudes know how NOT fun a $200+ speeding ticket is, traffic school and/or driving record points.

Actually the term is being misused by Porsche because any form of automatic transmission simply does not belong in a Porsche. But I guess it sells cars so...uhhh....yeah that justifies it...sure...../SARCASM

Adam, good job showing those young punks what's up.

CosmosBlack

Actually the term is being misused by Porsche because any form of automatic transmission simply does not belong in a Porsche. But I guess it sells cars so...uhhh....yeah that justifies it...sure...../SARCASM
That is where you are so wrong.
The Tiptronic in the 997 Turbo is faster than the 6-speed 997 Turbo.

And of course, auto vs manual transmissions in sports cars will be another long debate, so I'm not even going there....

CosmosBlack

MBZ officially calls their 7 speed "shiftable" automatic trannies "Touch Shift". So, yeah I misused Herr Doktor Ingenieur Ferdinand Porsche's Tiptronic term.

Es tut mir leid!!
I was pretty sure Tiptronic is strictly a Porsche term, but I don't know much about MB, that's why I asked.
It's the same issue with Xenon lights, I believe that term belongs to BMW originally,
and it's actually NOT what the type of lights are called, they should be called HID's in other cars.
Porsche uses Litronics. But people just use the wrong terms for whatever cars they're talking about.
It's just like saying, "Oh, is this the high-end version of the Corvette? Does it have the M-engine in it?"

That is where you are so wrong.
The Tiptronic in the 997 Turbo is faster than the 6-speed 997 Turbo.

And of course, auto vs manual transmissions in sports cars will be another long debate, so I'm not even going there....
Yep, the 2008 Porsche turbo with an automatic transmission has proved to be faster than the manual transmission in every test, by every person who has tested it!!

I was pretty sure Tiptronic is strictly a Porsche term, but I don't know much about MB, that's why I asked.
It's the same issue with Xenon lights, I believe that term belongs to BMW originally,
and it's actually NOT what the type of lights are called, they should be called HID's in other cars.
Porsche uses Litronics. But people just use the wrong terms for whatever cars they're talking about.
It's just like saying, "Oh, is this the high-end version of the Corvette? Does it have the M-engine in it?"
I'm pretty sure the gas is Xenon. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a BMW term. If it was, other high end cars would not use the term. Just like BMW or MBZ would never say Tiptronic or Litronic.

someone post up some facts about how MB's (especially the new ones i guess?) aren't smart enough to time an upshift better in auto mode compared to "tiptronic" mode.... i mean seriously this is counter intuitive. i'd like to see someone find the logic in this, that a car with an automatic (that understands WOT) accelerates faster when it has to wait for someone to "signal" an up-shift...

CosmosBlack

I'm pretty sure the gas is Xenon. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a BMW term. If it was, other high end cars would not use the term. Just like BMW or MBZ would never say Tiptronic or Litronic.
You are correct, my mistake. Xenon is a gas, somehow I associate the name with BMW coz' I think they were the first ones to use that term?
I know the first HID's I've personally seen were on the Bimmers.