A little frustrated with the M today

My car has been at the mechanics house for the last couple of days while he has been installing the shocks, struts, etc....
Before I brought it to him I told him that my steering felt funny, and that I was having to adjust back and forth left to right while driving. He thought the problem had to do with the rear bushings. After driving my car and getting it to his house he thinks it's the steering rack..... So I am a little frustrated with the bills right now. I even looked at Acura TL's this afternoon (online)

Conclusion F*&#$% it so be it... It will cost me more to go out and get another car at this time... And I do love her... She's my dream machine.... Honestly I don't care I just don't want to hear anything from the old lady! lol

Keep it between the ditches, my friends

Big Daddy

I replaced a seering rack on my e30 years ago, it was fairly easy, but than again it was not an e36 so I am not sure how much harder a chore it is or will be for you. I got mine rebuilt directly from ZF as I recall. Best of luck with it and I feel your pain!

Yep...thanks

When I went to get my car my mechanic showed me one of the old struts, lol, what a joke the strut had completely decompressed when he removed it. Basically I was riding around on my springs... So yes now my car drives completely different. It's stiff with no body roll or lean, and surprisingly bumps don't jar the car as I had anticipated. I am very happy with the upgrade, I feel like I am really getting to experience the M3 and her capabilities. On the way to work I sliced through curves with complete confidence.
I only have one complaint and that's the steering. Prior to having the work done my steering was becoming tight, and it didn't seem to line up by itself when I would turn corners. When my mechanic had the car lifted he would turn the wheels left to right and it was hard to turn. He said that it should be easy. He tried starting the car and still the same results. At first he diagnosed the problem as the steering rack or linkage. I told him that I had read about a steering fluid filter in the reservoir that most people over look. He didn't seem to think that could be the problem at the time. That was Wed. last night when I went to pick up the car he seemed to think the steering fluid filter could be the problem. He also noticed that the fluid inside the reservoir had bubbles after we had driven the car.
Do any of you guys have experience with a problem like this?
Would replacing the steering fluid filter fix the issue of the steering wheel not centering after turning if my power assist is starving for fluid?

a yo Big Daddy... When you replaced your steering rack what sort of problems were you having?

Big Daddy

It was on my e30 318is and it began leaking, and the steering was not responding properly. I did however replace the rack right away and never got into serious steering issues. I would at least try the filter first, and replace all the fluid with new stuff. You can't get all the old fluid out unless you can get to a power flusher. I had the steering system power flushed on my 750iL as the previous owner had ATF in the system and they use Penstion Fluid. It was expensive to do because of the fluid cost but I think it would not be so bad with a non-Penstion system?

Big Daddy said:
It was on my e30 318is and it began leaking, and the steering was not responding properly. I did however replace the rack right away and never got into serious steering issues. I would at least try the filter first, and replace all the fluid with new stuff. You can't get all the old fluid out unless you can get to a power flusher. I had the steering system power flushed on my 750iL as the previous owner had ATF in the system and they use Penstion Fluid. It was expensive to do because of the fluid cost but I think it would not be so bad with a non-Penstion system?

Yep, I have a filter ordered and it will be here on Wed.... After further inspection my mechanic said he thought the filter could be the problem. He had the car up in the air and greased a couple of spots and the steering became less resistant.

Right after having the shocks replaced I could feel a difference, although the steering still didn't center itself. Good news, after driving this weekend it's as if the shocks have settled, and the steering seems to be centering itself again. "YES!"
Only problem is the steering seems to be stiff, like it's not getting any power steering fluid..

I am very very happy with new shocks... My car handles and feels like a new M3.

PS. My buddy let me drive his new Z06 with only 230 miles on it on Friday night...
OMG what a car... Fastest machine I have ever been in.....I still feel more confident with my M's handling! lol true dat

Dude, I'm having the same problem as you right now in my 328i. The previous owner didn't drive it for a year and the first time I drove it the steering was like that, it was really hard to turn and it didn't center. After driving around for a few days it became better but still not too good. Just today I got my ball joints changed and the steering seems to be ok now. It will center almost perfectly but it is still kinda hard to turn (I don't know, this is my first bimmer, maybe the steering is meant to be like this since it's RWD) For example on my dad's 04 sentra I can turn the wheel with one finger pretty much, on my car I can't do that. It's not too to hard but still not as easy as the sentra, so I don't know.

When I had my steering rack replaced my car was making a grinding, moaning noise whenever I would turn. It was coming from the front, somewhere under the hood, probably where the steering rack is...lol.

It was also a bit hard for me to turn my car when I would first start the car every morning and then became easier through the day.

On our Corolla it was easy to turn it with one finger, but the BMW is much harder, I almost sprain my finger when I try to turn with one finger now...lol.
I think that's just BMW's tighter steering wheel at work.

hosagod said:
When I had my steering rack replaced my car was making a grinding, moaning noise whenever I would turn. It was coming from the front, somewhere under the hood, probably where the steering rack is...lol.

It was also a bit hard for me to turn my car when I would first start the car every morning and then became easier through the day.

On our Corolla it was easy to turn it with one finger, but the BMW is much harder, I almost sprain my finger when I try to turn with one finger now...lol.
I think that's just BMW's tighter steering wheel at work.
Good, that's what I wanted to hear. Maybe someone else can also confirm the tight steering on BMWs so we can be sure? I mean it handles great, I find myself purposly accelerating into the corners when driving this car [:p] But just want to make sure. Anyone else can compare the steering feel with econobox cars?

Big Daddy

The steering on my roadster is tight and does not easily just spin back to center, but than again I never allow it to. (Thanks to all the High Performance Driving Schools) It's hard for me to judge!