Advice on Brakes needed

Hi, my 2001 740iL is in need of new brakes. Any advice on what to put on her? Can I just put pads on myself or should/must the rotors be replaced as well. If I don't do it myself what is a reasonable amount to pay to have the brakes done on the Front?

Thanks

Big Daddy

Read this tech article from Pelican Parts, it should help. If your rotors are not grooved, warped, or worn beyond specs than there is no need to replace them. How many miles are on these rotors? Regardless pads and rotors on a BMW are fairly easy. Pelican Parts

kirbinster

Decided to let the local shop that specializes in BMW's do the brakes for me as they provide the parts at cost and did front and rear for $110 in labor. I consider that fairly reasonable rather than wasting my time. One strange thing was noted by them. They asked me if the brake warning light was on or if I heard any scraping noise. I told them no, that I just saw the pads were low when I took off my winter tires a few days ago. They said one of the brake sensors was ground down and assumed I had the light on for a while, they replaced the sensor. Also they showed me that the pads were hitting the rotor, but not on the braking surface, so they did not have to replace the rotors. Why would the sensor not cause the light to go on? The light does work as it goes on for a few seconds with all the other lights when I first start the car.

If anyone is looking for a good BMW shop in NJ the place I use is Europcar Service in Morristown NJ 973-267-8080. Its run by two guys, Gary and Reinhold.