Any Detail Questions Answered

I have over 30 years experience in detailing car as a part time business....currently I work on about 4 to 8 cars a month.

If any of you BMW enthusiast, that have questions about cleaning inside or painted areas feel free to ask I'll do the best that I can to help!

dboy11 said:
I have over 30 years experience in detailing car as a part time business....currently I work on about 4 to 8 cars a month.

If any of you BMW enthusiast, that have questions about cleaning inside or painted areas feel free to ask I'll do the best that I can to help!
what can i use to clean the tan leatherette ...glen

katsbimmer said:
what can i use to clean the tan leatherette ...glen
Glenn

Get a empty spray bottle and fill in with a 10/1 water to Woolite this is a very mild cleaning soap solution....I use a soft hand brush on areas that are a bit dirty-er....drivers seats and areas that get allot of action....you can also use an all purpose cleaner like 409 or simply green mixed the same way....ALWAYS make sure that you spray on a towel or cotton pad before wiping the area, you can never tell if a cleaner is going to change the color of the leather

What do you suggest for cleaning glass? I usually use a foaming glass spray with newspaper, but usually get some dreaded streaking that I notice when the sun is at just the right angle...

Silva said:
What do you suggest for cleaning glass? I usually use a foaming glass spray with newspaper, but usually get some dreaded streaking that I notice when the sun is at just the right angle...
Stoners Invisible glass and micro fiber towels...you can get Stoners online about any where and also at Pepboys or auto supply stores...The Micro fibers towels I like the ones sold by Poorboys World....but there are tons of towels on the market.

I use two towels to clean windows spray on the Stoners then use one towel to spread out evenly then the next one to buff dry.

Tom said:
Other than using vinegar, what is another good way of removing heavy water spots?
Three ways that I go about this and I am assuming you are talking about on the paint and windows.

One
Clay will remove most water spots on both windows and paint.

Two
What you are currently using

Three
FK1 car product, this kit will remove all the contamination from the car this allows you to protect the car again on fresh paint....I brought the kit for about 50 bucks and you can wash the car about 13 times....for you on a single car this will last a while and I would do this process twice a year...I did my car with it and it came out great better than claying

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

I have a question about the paint on my car. I have many little scratches on it...Their not deep but it seemed that a regular wax wouldnt get them out. What can I do to fix these and also the paint on my car seems to be dull...would a good wax help that or is there something else I can do to make it sparkle again

My car is black....Thank you

petakos said:
I have a question about the paint on my car. I have many little scratches on it...Their not deep but it seemed that a regular wax wouldnt get them out. What can I do to fix these and also the paint on my car seems to be dull...would a good wax help that or is there something else I can do to make it sparkle again

My car is black....Thank you

Wax is for protecting the car but it will not cut the finish and that's what both of your car require, not a hard process but time consuming by hand is all..in all the applications below make sure that you use a decent foam or cotton applicator and if you can afford it some micro fiber towels are always helpful for doing a better job

What you have are swirls marks in the clear coat kind of look like a halo / hollagram of sorts....to get these out you need a swirl remover, this process is really best done by orbital or rotary buffer, but you can get good result by hand with allot of elbow grease.

When I detail cars I always start with the swirl remover by hand work in small areas so that you can keep good control of the product, what you want to do is rub the area real well until the product starts to disappear, then move to the next spot...after this process I like to polish the car this will bring back luster on the car...again by hand this process will go much faster now that your done with the swirl remover...Last is a paste wax this will protect the car and give it a real wet looking shine.

These are the product that I use for the above process's you can buy them in small quantities for personal use.

Poorboys World
SSR 1 (this is the swirl remover)
Polish with Carnauba (this is the polish that also has some carnauba added)
Natty's paste wax ( this is the finishing product that gives that wet look)

http://www.poorboysworld.com

Tom

Staff Team
Thanks, I'll pass that on. I have a friend that parked his car at work for a week and the sprinklers did a good number on his paint. I believe the only thing he has tried was vinegar.

dboy11 said:
Three ways that I go about this and I am assuming you are talking about on the paint and windows.

One
Clay will remove most water spots on both windows and paint.

Two
What you are currently using

Three
FK1 car product, this kit will remove all the contamination from the car this allows you to protect the car again on fresh paint....I brought the kit for about 50 bucks and you can wash the car about 13 times....for you on a single car this will last a while and I would do this process twice a year...I did my car with it and it came out great better than claying

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

Hello there!

If you can believe it, my 1987 beamer convertible was egged (inside & outside). After spending all morning cleaning the shells and egg from the inside, it still has that "Huevos Rancheros" scent that i'd like to get rid of.

Do you guy(s) have any suggestions?

dboy11

I can't seem to get the back-side of my front seats (hard plastic?) clean. Also, the door panels are an odd material which doesn't seem receptive to anything I try to clean them with; I would like to deep clean them. BTW, it is a 2002 330i with the leather seats, sport package if it matters.

Jerry

epj3

dboy11 said:
Glenn

Get a empty spray bottle and fill in with a 10/1 water to Woolite this is a very mild cleaning soap solution....I use a soft hand brush on areas that are a bit dirty-er....drivers seats and areas that get allot of action....you can also use an all purpose cleaner like 409 or simply green mixed the same way....ALWAYS make sure that you spray on a towel or cotton pad before wiping the area, you can never tell if a cleaner is going to change the color of the leather
How does that method compare to using Lexol products on leather (ie cleaner and then conditioner?) Also with cleaning windshields, what do you think about using newspapers? I tried it once and was actually VERY amazed at how clean it got it.

epj3 said:
How does that method compare to using Lexol products on leather (ie cleaner and then conditioner?) Also with cleaning windshields, what do you think about using newspapers? I tried it once and was actually VERY amazed at how clean it got it.

Lexol is a great product but as a cost saving method and a good mild cleaner Woolite will do the job just as well....there conditioner is OK a bit greasy but if you are using it apply then use a cotton towel to buff real good this will help work the rest into the leather.....I use a conditioner made buy Poorboys World allot less greasy feel.

Also another great site for leather care products and all car care products

http://www.autogeek.com

As for cleaning windows with newspaper it works great but your hands get black from it and you could also get that on other parts for the car.....I use Stoners Invisible glass cleaner with micro fiber towels and it works like a charm

plastic trim

Our X3 and our GMC 2500 pickup have dark (black) plastic on the bumpers and along the sides and wheelwells. When I wash them the plastic always looks dirty. I have used different car wash products with the same results (Meguiars Gold Class most recently). It's really a pain because the paint looks so shiny and clean and the plastic looks like crap. Aside from going over the plastic with a vinyl treatment like 303, is there something I can use when washing the car that will get the plastic looking clean?

[???1]

DRWWE said:
Our X3 and our GMC 2500 pickup have dark (black) plastic on the bumpers and along the sides and wheelwells. When I wash them the plastic always looks dirty. I have used different car wash products with the same results (Meguiars Gold Class most recently). It's really a pain because the paint looks so shiny and clean and the plastic looks like crap. Aside from going over the plastic with a vinyl treatment like 303, is there something I can use when washing the car that will get the plastic looking clean?

[???1]
Are these the grainy type of plastics? if that is the case then it needs to be cleaned differently...I'm talking about the kind that is found on the lower part of Jeeps.....If they are two products come to mind....one is called trim restore from Poorboys link is listed above....this one will clean and give back a great shine.....the one that I followup with then to make the bumpers really shine is called Bumper Coat sold by P&S Car Products....I can direct you to either place send me a PM....looks like your in NO CA .....I'm on Sonoma County and you?

I am looking to clean the aluminum trim on my M3 (interior). It has gotten fairly dirty and was wondering exactly what to clean it with. Also, what is the best to put on my leather seats to keep them clean and nice looking? Thanks, Brian

epj3

dboy11 said:
Lexol is a great product but as a cost saving method and a good mild cleaner Woolite will do the job just as well....there conditioner is OK a bit greasy but if you are using it apply then use a cotton towel to buff real good this will help work the rest into the leather.....I use a conditioner made buy Poorboys World allot less greasy feel.

Also another great site for leather care products and all car care products

http://www.autogeek.com

As for cleaning windows with newspaper it works great but your hands get black from it and you could also get that on other parts for the car.....I use Stoners Invisible glass cleaner with micro fiber towels and it works like a charm
Hehe yea I was using microfiber towels for a while, I think I might pick up some newer better ones. The 'getting hands black" isn't a big deal, I work at a press with enough of that ink in liquid form to drown a bunch of people [:p]