Anyone seen or tested the new X3?

landshark

I recall my dealer--no, not drug--telling me that the X3 will be in dealerships around Thanksgiving. Although delivery won't happen until February, the cars will be available for seeing and feeling.

Has anyone seen or test driven it yet?

I saw a positive review of the car on www.thecarconnection.com.

I'd like to hear any real world impressions of it.

MJM

Here on the east coast, each dealer received a demo X3 3.0i with Premium Package with that great sunroof. No Sport Package however. They have been available for test drives since the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I drove one and I was very impressed with its handling for a SUV (SAV as BMW calls it). I also liked the look and feel of the vehicle as did my wife and daughter. A nice balance of space, looks and performance in an SAV. Great safety features also. A complete multi-color brochure is available at dealers with a demo as is pricing.

I ordered one after shopping a few dealers for a price below the sticker price which most dealers are trying to hold to for now since there is great interest. Every dealer I went to had folks test-driving the car while I was there.

MJM

Last edited:
I just happened to stumble upon a fresh delivered X3 while picking up floor mats from the dealer. Although I didn't have much time (out to lunch) I couldn't resist taking it out for a spin. It was outfitted with the premium package , auto trans & cold weather package. Like the 5 series the pictures don't do it justice. The interior was clean, and the dash material is more 'rubbery' than the 3 series. It does say "Utility" more than "Luxury" but that's to be expected. The gauges have a 3D look to them (you'll know what I mean when you see it).

As far as the road test, I was very pleased with the overall feel over the 'ute, and pleasantly surprised by its handling and road manners. I didn't have a ton of time with it so I really didn't get a chance to put it through its paces but I did get to cut up a few corners and some open road. It did eat up the turns like a 3 series (not with the same confidence, though - with the higher center of gravity and extra weight and all). The 3 liter didn't strain, but was obviously a little slower getting the 4,000lbs beast up to speed. Breaking was outstanding (as expected).

After my drive, I am seriously consider getting one in the spring. The only downside was front legroom. I'm 6'10" and with the center console design it was a little tight on the right side. This surprised me since my 325 has enough room. I inquired with the dealer about this to see if they could move back the stops/seat/track any more. Still waiting on an answer.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how I got on their list, but I recieved an "invitation" to an "exclusive sneak preview" of the all new BMW X3 at BMW of North Scottsdale.
It's going to be on Saturday 11 AM til 5PM.
I have our Holiday party that night, then another 'test drive' event (different manufacturer) on Sunday morning - but I'll post Sunday evening and let everyone know how it was.

My wife and I tested the X3 at Crevier BMW yesterday.... She went out first and came back grinning. I went out and did an impromptu brake check for a stop light, then pounded around a chicane fast enough to kick the DSC in. Great fun.

We had an 02 325xiT that we just traded in, our X3 order will be going in this week.

Major pros (compared to the 325xiT): More interior space. Lots more power. More storage space in the rear. And, last but most important, my wife hated Alpine White w Sand leather, we are getting the metallic green w black leather.....

It didn't hurt that the dealer had a ready buyer for the 325 and bumped up his offer $1000 to get our car before the end of the year....

i saw one in the dealer lot, i was gonna test drive it, but didnt' have much time. the sunroof looks cool. maybe i'll wait for the warmer days, or a actual snow day to go out on it ^^