battery question!!!!!!!!!!!

katie01

hi all i need to know is if i disconnect my battery, and take it out to recharge it will all of 'electrical' or computer type settings have to be reset!!!!or what will happen will i still be able to get in the car (its a coupe)the windows need some electric to open slightly for the door to open, so if the battery is not connected how will i pop the bonnet to re-fit the battery once charged!!!!![scratch]

Big Daddy

Your radio code will need to be entered, but why remove it to charge it? It can be charged using the provided clips under the "bonnet". Isn't your battery in the trunk? And besides the hood release is mechanical not electrical. The windows opening slightly is to make closing the doors easier, they will still close.

katie01

Your radio code will need to be entered, but why remove it to charge it? It can be charged using the provided clips under the "bonnet". Isn't your battery in the trunk? And besides the hood release is mechanical not electrical. The windows opening slightly is to make closing the doors easier, they will still close.
hi thank so much, i have a 1998 316i coupe the battery is under the hood ??? thats what it looks like am i right???

Big Daddy

It looks on realoem.com like it was optional, regardless you can charge it in its present location, no need to remove it. Why are you charging it? How old is this battery?

if your car is a 1998 model year, then that means by now (2008) the battery should have been replaced-at minimum- at least once. (maybe even more than once if u bought a cheap aftermarket battery.)

if u r still trying to recharge the original battery that came with the car, then that is a complete lost cause. and, u should look into buying a new BMW oem battery to replace it.

in my experience, the BMW oem and replacement batteries are totally worth the money. for one they last about 7 to 8 years. and, second, they don't cost that much more than the aftermarket ones. plus, the dealer will recycle your old one for u.

:)

dblE

if your car is a 1998 model year, then that means by now (2008) the battery should have been replaced-at minimum- at least once. (maybe even more than once if u bought a cheap aftermarket battery.)

if u r still trying to recharge the original battery that came with the car, then that is a complete lost cause. and, u should look into buying a new BMW oem battery to replace it.

in my experience, the BMW oem and replacement batteries are totally worth the money. for one they last about 7 to 8 years. and, second, they don't cost that much more than the aftermarket ones. plus, the dealer will recycle your old one for u.

:)
I totally agree with this. I've had the same replacement battery in my car for about 9 years - year 2000. It finally needs to be replaced and the only reason is because I stored it in my garage and didn't take off the positive cable. My fault.[cheers]

I totally agree with this. I've had the same replacement battery in my car for about 9 years - year 2000. It finally needs to be replaced and the only reason is because I stored it in my garage and didn't take off the positive cable. My fault.[cheers]
Always remove the negative battery cable first, and put the negative battery cable on last (after putting the positive on first)