Brake rotors.

M.Regello

Hey Guys, how are you doin'? I have a '91 E30 and the Brake Lining light came on. I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know if it has solid or vented rotors. If it has solid rotors can I switch to vented without changing a whole bunch of other stuff? Your info will be much appreciated, M.Regello

you have vented rotors.

Before you go changing your pads (which is what that light means) check your pad sensor wires (front drivers side, rear passenger side) and make sure that a wire hasn't come loose. If your pads really are worn out, make sure you buy new wear sensors too.

you have vented rotors.

Before you go changing your pads (which is what that light means) check your pad sensor wires (front drivers side, rear passenger side) and make sure that a wire hasn't come loose. If your pads really are worn out, make sure you buy new wear sensors too.
Thoughts exactly,
Also if this is your first bmw e30 you have just stepped into a large crowd of people that also have their brake lining light on, welcome aboard!

Is that sensor standard or was it optional... how would i check to see if i have it...

Not too sure bout that, too my knowledge it was on all e30's with disk brake all round, and the light will either have a picture of a circle with two lines around it, or the words "BRAKE LINING" (like mine does.)

There are two sensors per car. One on the front LHS, and one on the rear RHS.

If like me you have a pretty good idea of the state of your pads all the time, then you can opt to save the $ for new sensors (not much - probably about $20US) and either put up with the light, remove the bulb, or short out the sensor wires.

Shorting out the wire was always my option on my old e30's:) OF course you have the sensors if your light is on, and it was standard on all cars. It might only be on because it's un plugged, or because your lining is worn out. No need to panic. It's pretty straight forward. The sesnsors are only about $6 if I remember correctly, and they get replaced when you do the pads (as they are attaced to the pads upon installation)

M.Regello

Well, thanks all you Guys for the info! I just got new pads, rotors, and sensors. Anything I'm missing? What about the caliper bolts? Thanks, again, M.Regello

Make sure you torque all your caliper bolts, and caliper bracket bolts to the correct spec., and clean and re-grease the sliding caliper bolts... very important with floating calipers. The only other pieces you might want to pick up are the disc locator allen head bolts. They tend to strip a bit, or may be stripped already, and they're cheap... use anti-seize when re-intalling.

Are you actually doing the work yourself?

you'll hear the problem before the light comes on....plus even after replacing the pads and a new sensor the light still might come on every once in a while. kinda like the brake lights warning....bogus indication...but you might want to look at your pads anyway if you're not sure as to status...

M.Regello

Make sure you torque all your caliper bolts, and caliper bracket bolts to the correct spec., and clean and re-grease the sliding caliper bolts... very important with floating calipers. The only other pieces you might want to pick up are the disc locator allen head bolts. They tend to strip a bit, or may be stripped already, and they're cheap... use anti-seize when re-intalling.

Are you actually doing the work yourself?
Correct torque is not the problem, or cleaning and lubing the sliders. The problem is that the bolts are self-locking, which means the locking part only works one time. I really don't want to take out a loan to put new bolts in to replace the self locking feature. I'm going to use Permatex Threadlocker; I think it should work well. Any reason Permatex Threadlocker won't work? As far as the disc locater bolts are concerned, I've had trouble with almost every single one that I had to deal with. It seems the worst ones are the ones that are countersunk with a Philips head. i got new ones (($30.00/4 at BMW) and I have NeverSeize. Yeah, I do my own work. I was a Mechanic (notice I didn't say "technician") in the Air Force and have been one on and off ever since. Also I have trust "issues" with any one else working on my car. They never seem to do it quite the way I like.

You are not talking about the rotor/brake disc retaining bolts are you? You can buy those from AutoHaus Arizona for less than $2.00 each!

Ouch, you had to say that Daddy eh?! Spose now would be a bad time to say that If I were you I really wouldn't worry about changing the rotor locating bolts unless the heads are striped.

Also make sure you put the brake pads on the right way, (some have an inner and an outer pad... Mine did anyway)

brake lining warning is different than brake light warning...i don't trust either one...tattletales that they are....a good scoping usually works...good luck

Correct torque is not the problem, or cleaning and lubing the sliders. The problem is that the bolts are self-locking, which means the locking part only works one time. I really don't want to take out a loan to put new bolts in to replace the self locking feature. I'm going to use Permatex Threadlocker; I think it should work well. Any reason Permatex Threadlocker won't work? As far as the disc locater bolts are concerned, I've had trouble with almost every single one that I had to deal with. It seems the worst ones are the ones that are countersunk with a Philips head. i got new ones (($30.00/4 at BMW) and I have NeverSeize. Yeah, I do my own work. I was a Mechanic (notice I didn't say "technician") in the Air Force and have been one on and off ever since. Also I have trust "issues" with any one else working on my car. They never seem to do it quite the way I like.
Okay, what bolts are self locking? (none of them)

M.Regello

Okay, what bolts are self locking? (none of them)
The metric hex bolts that hold the rear calipers on the brackets ARE self locking, when you take them out you can see the locking compound on them, and the rear pads from Ate came with two new bolts that had the same self locking compound on them in the same places as the old bolts. Also the slide pins for the front calipers had the same self locking compound in the same place as the rear bolts. Although the Bently manual has some things left out, it does say to replace the bolts ant sliders with new ones. M.Regello

Hmm, didn't know that.. I just clean the old sliders, grease 'em, and torque 'em. Never had a problem... might be something I should look into though... need to do my front's pretty soon.

Hey Guys, how are you doin'? I have a '91 E30 and the Brake Lining light came on. I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know if it has solid or vented rotors. If it has solid rotors can I switch to vented without changing a whole bunch of other stuff? Your info will be much appreciated, M.Regello
those disk retaining screws are always bad monkeys to get out i think they are for keeping the bolt holes for the wheels linked, god forbid you get a flat tire in the dark and the rotor is spinning around as well....nevertheless I usually just drill em out with a titainium drill bit or just screw the rotors (generally OK anyway) and simply do the pads and sensor wire...much cheaper and easier and virtually always succesfull...warped rotors that "need turning" are one of the biggest profit making rip-offs in the repair business, they'll always tell you need the rotors shaved, if not new ones....good luck