cigarette smoke odor

ramboz

I recently purchased a 2001 325i from a BMW dealer. I guess with all the excitement of buying my first BMW (and some help from dealer air freshener) I totally missed the fact the the previous driver (Leased) was a smoker. Anyone out there know a true solution to eliminating the lingering stale smoke odor?

I had a car once that was owned by a smoker. I never did get the smell completely out, but here's what I found worked pretty well.

1. Get rid of all the cigarette ash. It is amazing where it ends up. I completely disassembled the center console (around the shift boot, e-brake, ashtray, etc.) and removed the inside door panels (a lot of smokers flick ash out the window). Check any cracks near the rear package tray, ash blows back and circulates in the back. If you don't get ALL the ash out, you'll never get the smell out.

2. Shampoo (Bistle little green machine, with just hot water, no detergent) the headliner, carpets and seats, use quality leather cleaner if you have leather. Best to do this with the seats removed, which you'll want to do in step 1.

3. Once the ash is out and everything is dry, use one of those ionic air filters (like Sharper Image sells) and let it run overnight with the windows closed (A small crack for the power cord is OK).

That should just about do it. I tried some of the fabric oder remover (Fabreeze) but I think that smelled worse than the smoke.

Wiley has just about covered it! After the disassembly and shampoo that Wiley mentions, I have used Fabreeze and Leatherique to finish the car off for a friend of mine. After about 4 days, there was no Fabreeze smell or smoke smell, just a hint of the Leatherique.