Civic Hybrid?

Would you have traded in an 04' 3

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • You've gotta be kiddin me, forget about it.

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I did the unthinkable today, I traded in my bimmer for a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid worth 23k, and I bought an extended for warranty for 7yrs 100,000 miles for an additional 2k, bringing the total to 25k. Have I lost my mind?

I miss my bimmer already, but I have noticed 30mpg in incredibly slow traffic where the bimmer would get 12mpg, as well as 42mpg on the highway doing 75mph where the bimmer would get 30. It seemingly corners as well as the 330i, there is no body roll, and the ride is softer, there is less wind noise, and it handles road irregularities almost as if they didn't exist.

The standard sound system is also of high quality, there is also more airflow from the side vents, and there is more leg and body room in both the front and rear. The car lacks traction control, which is worrying me for when the winter comes around. The only gripes I have is that at every stoplight the engine noticeably shuts off and then on when you release the brakes, there is no sunroof, and the head "cushion" for the seat is uncomfortable.

Overall I miss the sweet I6 sound, the BMW look, and its comfortable cabin, but thats just it. I don't miss 3.50 a gallon premium being eaten up every 14 miles, the lack of legroom, the occasional quirks, and the potential future expenses since the car had 44k on it. I also avoided paying sales taxes on the car, and I get a $2000 tax credit.

So I no longer drive a BMW, but I'm willing to bet the Civic hybrid is a sound investment considering the 60% resale value with <40k miles after 3yrs, as well as the fact that gas prices continue to rise, which can only increase the cars demand. I also cut my fuel consumption by half, and probably will save even more than that since it runs on regular.

Well Happy Honda days everyone. [driving2] [:)]

we need a better idea of your scenario. if you take the bus to work and drive for fun on the weekends you are an idiot. if you drive your car a lot and got tired of adding countless miles to a car while not having much fun (ie freeway/traffic), then it would seem like a good idea. myself, it'd be a hard sell to get me into anything FWD...... ever.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
frolf said:
we need a better idea of your scenario. if you take the bus to work and drive for fun on the weekends you are an idiot. if you drive your car a lot and got tired of adding countless miles to a car while not having much fun (ie freeway/traffic), then it would seem like a good idea. myself, it'd be a hard sell to get me into anything FWD...... ever.
I drive almost everywhere, and as of late I had to do many 500 mile runs on the boring NY state thruway with the cruise control set to 75, and when I'm in the city it's always either a big parking lot or 0-40 stop and go every few blocks, I literally was getting 10-13mpg in the city with the BMW, I felt like I was driving a truck. On the highway the BMW got decent gas mileage, but thats about it. 44k in 3yrs, 25k of which were put on in the last year. I also can't tell the civic is front wheel drive, although the steering does feel light, gentle, and "disconnected". The hybrid is not a performance car, it's still in the break in period, so no 6,000rpm for me. Besides, it's got a 1.3 ltr 4cyl 113 hp engine, It would probably just get loud...

I think its a big trade off where it counts. I think I remember you calling my car underpowered, glad to see you've gotten a new perspective on things.

Coming from a fwd japanese car, I can't imagine choosing to go back to one, even for a much lower fuel consumption.

Big Daddy

the Civic hybrid is a sound investment considering the 60% resale value with <40k miles after 3yrs, as well as the fact that gas prices continue to rise
I would not call any car a "sound investment", buying a car as an investment is not sound! If mileage is the most important thing to you, you've done well...

I agree Dan that a car is not a sound investment in terms of appreciation. I guess it depends how you define investment in this case. In terms of lower fuel costs and reliable transportation, a car is a factor in the overall financial/investment scheme. Especially when your car is so unreliable that you can't get to work and get fired!!

I don't know... maybe it's the peacemaker in me, but if I were in a similar situation, I think I would try and compromise. That is, buy an older 4cylinder Toyota or Honda as an everyday car for less than $5k and keep the 3 Series.

I know that right now, I'm happy to have my 1.8L engine. I can push 550-600 miles (all highway; 2 lights) per tank if I drive very conservatively. BTW, everyone I tell this to (550-600 miles per tank) thinks I'm F.O.S. Does anyone here with the 1.8L enjoy the same mileage? I mean is that figure so ridiculous? it comes to around 38 miles per gallon. But again that's all highway and I am very light on the gas and never turn the a/c on.

The Civic Hybrid is a great car and certainly a very economical smart move to make. Give the car a few thousand miles before you start getting optimal fuel economy. The only thing I would worry about (with all hybrid vehicles) is how long the rechargeable batteries would last until they can no longer hold a charge, and how much money it would cost to have them replaced.

Big Daddy

Sean I got up to 40 mpg in my 91 318is, all highway all very fuel savings type of driving on a trip once, I was trying to see how good I could do. Yes it is possible.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I think its a big trade off where it counts. I think I remember you calling my car underpowered, glad to see you've gotten a new perspective on things.

Coming from a fwd japanese car, I can't imagine choosing to go back to one, even for a much lower fuel consumption.
It doesn't feel that FWD to me, there is no torque steer, and it is not a performance car. Also it doesn't feel underpowered 0-40 in 4 seconds, then its slower, yet you don't feel it, it can hit 80s easily, and feels quiet and very stable. Try getting 36.5 mpg at 80mph in a 2900lb car with a 1.3 ltr I4 that gets 83hp. It also gets 45mpg stop and go, it's a blast to drive, and does not feel underpowered (electric motor is a blast at low speeds and thats all that matters). Now I would call a 3300lb E46 with a I4 slightly underpowered [;)] but at least its a BMW.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
I don't know... maybe it's the peacemaker in me, but if I were in a similar situation, I think I would try and compromise. That is, buy an older 4cylinder Toyota or Honda as an everyday car for less than $5k and keep the 3 Series.

I know that right now, I'm happy to have my 1.8L engine. I can push 550-600 miles (all highway; 2 lights) per tank if I drive very conservatively. BTW, everyone I tell this to (550-600 miles per tank) thinks I'm F.O.S. Does anyone here with the 1.8L enjoy the same mileage? I mean is that figure so ridiculous? it comes to around 38 miles per gallon. But again that's all highway and I am very light on the gas and never turn the a/c on.
The 330i needed around 5k to keep it running with the reliability and security I expect. (new tires, BMW assist, maintenance, mechanical warranty to 6yrs 100k) Considering I got a pretty nice 1,000+ discount off MSRP, avoided paying over $1,000 in taxes, am getting a $2,000 credit from the IRS, and I wanted a new car that could rack up the miles on for cheap, esp with way less fuel consumption, I'm happy with it. I considered both BMW and Honda, but it didn't make sense, the 330i is a very nice and fun car, but it's not THAT FUN so as to merit keeping it for leisure drives only. Also most older Honda's and Toyota's are nowhere near as efficient and safe as this car. I have every airbag the BMW had, and safety feature, minus traction control. But with such low hp, and FWD, I shouldn't have to worry.

Also with the 330i, if I drove without a/c and feather footed at around 60mph, I could easily get 35mpg and thats with a 3.0 I6, I'm sure theres others enjoying 38mpg in a 1.8 I4.

Emile: The battery has an 80k 6yr warranty on it, and in NY and CA and some other states they have a 150k 8yr warranty on it I believe. Also it is covered under my extended warranty, and according to the salesman, the battery costs roughly $1,000 to replace, it's not like the Prius which has a much more powerful extensive battery system. The civic uses the gasoline motor all the time, but uses the battery to provide boost, especially at under 40mph. The engine only shuts off at every stop, and lets the a/c and electronics drain the 157volt battery which takes quite a while. The car is not sluggish with the a/c either, something most small cars suffer from.

Well obviously you did your homework; as one should when they embark on such an expensive purchase.

I only fill 14 gallons in my tank; I should have stated that. Still its only 42/43 miles per gallon on mid grade, clearly very comparable with the 330i. But with dense stop and go city (downtown) driving I can still push 500-550 per tank; I'd freak out if I got 10-13 miles per gallon, I can see why you felt the need to switch. I'm sure the Hybrid gets better than that though, especially since those cars stay primarily electric running under 25mph. (is that the case? I heard it somewhere, but I've never actually driven one) So stop and go traffic probably ends up being more fuel efficient in a hybrid.

Older Toyotas / Hondas can easily match the fuel efficiency of the hybrids; safety, hands down you are right. The newer hybrids are much safer than older Toyos and Hondas, but still they are efficient and do come with front air bags, so they're not too ancient and 'unsafe.' I know from personal experience that a 92-96 Camry 4cyl can get 28/45mpg. Not terribly unsafe a car, but no where comparable to the newer cars.

Enjoy your ride! We all try to enjoy what we have. Whether 4 banger, 6 banger, Honda or Ford. Gotta enjoy the decisions we make.

It doesn't feel that FWD to me, there is no torque steer, and it is not a performance car. Also it doesn't feel underpowered 0-40 in 4 seconds, then its slower, yet you don't feel it, it can hit 80s easily, and feels quiet and very stable. Try getting 36.5 mpg at 80mph in a 2900lb car with a 1.3 ltr I4 that gets 83hp. It also gets 45mpg stop and go, it's a blast to drive, and does not feel underpowered (electric motor is a blast at low speeds and thats all that matters). Now I would call a 3300lb E46 with a I4 slightly underpowered [;)] but at least its a BMW.

I6 thanks lol.

Enjoy the car.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Well obviously you did your homework; as one should when they embark on such an expensive purchase.

I only fill 14 gallons in my tank; I should have stated that. Still its only 42/43 miles per gallon on mid grade, clearly very comparable with the 330i. But with dense stop and go city (downtown) driving I can still push 500-550 per tank; I'd freak out if I got 10-13 miles per gallon, I can see why you felt the need to switch. I'm sure the Hybrid gets better than that though, especially since those cars stay primarily electric running under 25mph. (is that the case? I heard it somewhere, but I've never actually driven one) So stop and go traffic probably ends up being more fuel efficient in a hybrid.

Older Toyotas / Hondas can easily match the fuel efficiency of the hybrids; safety, hands down you are right. The newer hybrids are much safer than older Toyos and Hondas, but still they are efficient and do come with front air bags, so they're not too ancient and 'unsafe.' I know from personal experience that a 92-96 Camry 4cyl can get 28/45mpg. Not terribly unsafe a car, but no where comparable to the newer cars.

Enjoy your ride! We all try to enjoy what we have. Whether 4 banger, 6 banger, Honda or Ford. Gotta enjoy the decisions we make.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure the older toyotas and hondas can. Maybe on the highway they can come close, but if you drive the hybrid at 55mph, you can easily pull 50-55mpg, not to mention if you drive like a grandma in the city, you can pull 55-60mpg, especially since at every traffic light your braking charges the battery, and the engine shuts off as the car coasts to a stop. In heavy traffic this becomes a huge advantage. If you drive the hybrid at 75mph on a hilly highway, you're gonna get between 35-40mpg depending on steepness. Also when it comes to comfort, acceleration, ride quality, as well as safety, the older hondas and toyotas don't even come close.

I'm willing to guess the camry's 45mpg was at 55mph and on flat highways. In those conditions the hybrid pulls 55mpg+. As for city driving, well thats where most gas is consumed, and what the hybrid was designed for. 40mpg is almost a promise when driving normally, accelerating with traffic 0-40 including stoplights however many they be in the city.

If we were going strictly on price, and it was generally highway miles, I would probably agree the additional 5-10mpg you gain probably is not worth the payments on a $23,000 economy car. I love the civic hybrid and enjoy it about as much as driving the BMW, although I do retract my "corners and handles as well as the 330i" comment. It definitely does not, but sure gets the job done.

There was some report, I think motor trend, which was comparing older toyotas and hondas to the new Hybrids and it found that the gas mileage on older (much older) hondas toyotas like the CRX and tercel got better gas mileage in city and highway than the hybrids. They also pointed out that those CRX and tercels were not very safe, handled poorly and were bare-boned, whereas newer hybrids are more fitting with a modern car with its features.

And on the Camry, it was cruise control at 75 from MD to MI pretty much the whole way there, and we drove through the Pennsylvania Turnpike.... many ups and downs on that road, but all other states (Ohio, MI, MD) fairly flat.

And yeah about the city driving with hybrids. That's what I thought, that city driving will pose better fuel efficiency.

But, like you said, it's about getting the job done and enjoying the ride. Gotta enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Drive safely.

I can understand your purchase but I wouldn't have gotten rid of the Bimmer. I actually purchased an old Accord 4 cyl for daily driving and garaged my Jag. The Honda was cheap to buy, cheap to drive 29-31mpg (mixed driving) and cheap to repair. Especially since I did all the repairs myself.

There was some report, I think motor trend, which was comparing older toyotas and hondas to the new Hybrids and it found that the gas mileage on older (much older) hondas toyotas like the CRX and tercel got better gas mileage in city and highway than the hybrids. They also pointed out that those CRX and tercels were not very safe, handled poorly and were bare-boned, whereas newer hybrids are more fitting with a modern car with its features.

And on the Camry, it was cruise control at 75 from MD to MI pretty much the whole way there, and we drove through the Pennsylvania Turnpike.... many ups and downs on that road, but all other states (Ohio, MI, MD) fairly flat.

And yeah about the city driving with hybrids. That's what I thought, that city driving will pose better fuel efficiency.

But, like you said, it's about getting the job done and enjoying the ride. Gotta enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Drive safely.

I had rad the same too: if you are in town - i.e. slowing down, accelerating,... then hybrid is better. Otherwise, on highway, the hybrid tends to do worse than a regular equal 4 cylinder.

Off course, do not listen to me for advise on gas mileage. I drive every week to Houston, TX with my chevy truck - i.e 15-18 mpg to save my "baby 545" from taking too many miles - This way, I have the whole week end to enjoy it, .. and still at 26 mpg on highway!
Like all you guys said - it is maybe not a sound investment, but it is still "the Ultimate Driving Machine"

AMEN[driving]