Civic Hybrid?

Would you have traded in an 04' 3

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • You've gotta be kiddin me, forget about it.

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Now B.D. 40 mpg is maybe a little stretched too much... Not saying that you are a liar..., just saying you probably were in ideal situation when you did it: coming down a montain, for example,... or a gentle slopped down highway on the coast of California, on a cool morning without air conditioning, 50 mph, 10 years younger, 20 pounds ligther,... just kidding!!!

I owned a Golf GTI in the early 90's - 1.8 litre with injection, smaller car then the BMW and I only could get 36 mpg on highway- I know Belgium was hilly, so it may affect it.
For Europeans on the board, 40mpg is like less then 6 litres/100 kms... quite an acheivement, even by today standards...!
Happy Driving[driving2]

Emile, make a trip to Maryland. And I'll drive your doubting butt around for 600 miles and then maybe you would believe it. Huh? Classes start next week.

I will say that, when I drive like a maniac, I only get mid 20s; so it really makes a huge difference. At least that's my experience.

Here in VERY hot So. Cal. with the A/C on with EVERY drive, I'm getting almost 20mpg with my new E350 (270hp). It's a pretty large car, and quite heavy.

I too think that only a Hybrid or Diesel can really produce that 30-40+ mpg in the city (unless you are in a super, super sub compact with < 100hp).

On a side note, I don't know how Mercedes did it, or how California justifies it, but my 2008 gasoline powered E350 is classified as a SULEV (Super ultra low emission vehicle).

Big Daddy

I said, "all highway", and it was a fairly flat road traveling at 50mph with the cruise on. I could really care less if no-one "believes" it but I did it, a 91 318is with Zender aerodynamics, so there. [shake]

i've owned a civic before, and it's a decent entry-level car. good mileage, relatively fun to drive compared to other boring "econo" cars in its class. maintenance-wise, it still had it's spew of issues. nothing major, per say. and, those issues were less expensive to fix, compared to german cars. today's civic is no longer just an entry-level econo car like it used to be. but, to most ppl, a civic is a civc- just as a corolla is a corolla, no matter what spin they put on it.

overall, my civic was reliable. but, it aged very quickly- style-wise. and, i still feel that honda's overall image is one of the biggest marketing lies- ie that their cars are all trouble-free and forever reliable. honda is always trying to cut corners to save costs. and, the odd things that break on their cars are always parts that they know about. sometimes they'll own up and do recalls on them. sometimes they don't. (just ask any acura or honda mechanic.)

the way i see it, u own different cars depending what stage of life you're in. personally, i don't see why one would downsize from a 330i to a civic unless it's financially-driven. but, there's no wrong or right. life is such. congrats on the new car and hope it serves u well...

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Figured I'd give this thread an update, I have since traded the Civic Hybrid since it had 32,000 miles on it in 1 year, and the car had some issues that I couldn't live with. Such as the driverside window getting stuck in the winter causing it to be off-track. The honda dealer said it was normal. Also in NYC traffic whenever you came to a stop and the engine would turnoff the recirculate air button would reset causing nasty gasoline fumes to enter the car, Honda said this was a normal factory setting. There was also a rattle in the dash over bumps that would come and go. Not to mention the tires on the car were cupping and had to be replaced twice with new Dunlops. Honda even replaced the control arms and realigned the suspension. They did such a good job, that the steering wheel would vibrate. So I brought it into a different dealer and had them do an alignment and it needed toe adjustments since the steering wheel was off center. I called the other dealer and had to strong arm them into paying for the alignment via a chargeback for the work they did. Also I paid roughly 1,000 in maintenance costs, for inspection 1 and 2 as well as oil changes and 50% of the last set of tires. The brakes also felt weak and would continuously go to the floor, every oil change they would refill the brake fluid...

Overall it was ridiculously expensive, 23k for the car, 1k for maintenance for the 1st 30,000 miles, and it got 35mpg in heavy NYC traffic so long as you keep hitting the recirculate button every red light. On a hilly rural highway the cars 1.3L motor had to use 5k and 6k red line rpms to keep 65mph and it got 28mpg on those roads. In summary the car was a piece of a junk, but a reliable one, that got decent gas mileage in the city, and on the highway. I averaged 38mpg, IMHO it was not worth more than a regular civic that gets 35mpg doing 75mph, and the engine doesn't strain up the hill at redline. The 2k tax rebate was nice, but it was money I had to pay anyway, and it just went into Honda's pocket instead of the IRS.