Dealer called-E90 330 still available

I got a call from the dealer I went to on Saturday and the salesman told me the 330i was still available and that the leasing manager would like to talk with me about working a deal. This is surprising to me. That would indicate the car sat through an entire weekend with no serious bites. On my way to work I drove past the dealer and the 330i is still occupying the prime display corner.

The 325, the second of only 2 E90s on the lot, was sold.

I’m not sure what to think--are people still warming up?

When I got my car it was a difficult find and I had to work to get it when it was first released.

I guess people must not be so eager to get the E90?

The ZHP's were rare when they first came out. I think they can sell that 330 but they want a premium for it. I am thinking they called you, acting eager to "get rid of" that 330 just sitting there but when you go in there, they may all of a sudden turn the tables and act like tough guys, making the new E90 seem all premium and rare and shit.
It was probably just a slow week-end for the dealership.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
The E90 should be available and abundant for the next 5 years. If you're buying one I would bargain down on the price at least 1.5-2k from MSRP... A good lease for a 3 series (36mo. 12k a yr) is nothing down and $625 a month, I wouldn't pay any other premium for a car that will soon lose its hype like the 5-series. Hang on to that ZHP it performs about the same as the E90, and give the salesman those figures or those of your own and tell him to make it work. [thumb]

Another thing I don't understand is why people would buy a car off the showroom lot that everyone abused and felt-up on. I think the dealer just wants to put SOLD tags in the cars to make it look like it's in demand and place a 1-2k markup on MSRP...

The NEW 325i matches the E46 330i in practically all areas, which explains why it would sell over the E90 330i. The way I see it the niche for rocket-sports sedans for the money is filled by infinit's G35 and Acura's TL. Why would customers pay a premium (45k) for a sports sedan with just about matching performance stats as the aforementioned? If you want an entry level BMW might as well get the new 3.0 powered 325i... For 45-50k (since a 5 sells for about a little over invoice) you can get a 530i also with the 255hp I6, BMW has a conflict here.

Bmw 325i 7803 said:
The NEW 325i matches the E46 330i in practically all areas, which explains why it would sell over the E90 330i. The way I see it the niche for rocket-sports sedans for the money is filled by infinit's G35 and Acura's TL. Why would customers pay a premium (45k) for a sports sedan with just about matching performance stats as the aforementioned? If you want an entry level BMW might as well get the new 3.0 powered 325i... For 45-50k (since a 5 sells for about a little over invoice) you can get a 530i also with the 255hp I6, BMW has a conflict here.
if you follow that argument, how did they ever sell the e46 330i? bimmers commend a premium because they are still the top dog. even tho the competition has caught up, i don't think any has surpassed it, unless you factor money into it. and average out the performance w/ the real world cost implications.

325i is 45-50k!!? are you sure? the car starts out just above 30k, 15-20k in options? also you are comparing apples to oranges, i don't know how you figure that there is a bmw conflict btw 530i and the e90 325i..

if you add up the options on the 325i that is standard on the 330i, there is about a 3grand difference. the 3 grand buys you 40 more horses, bigger rims, fatter tires, prolly beefier brakes etc. not too shabby for less than 10% msrp imo.

Bryan, when you first laid your eyes on the zhp, did you or did you not fall in love with your car? now can you say the same thing about the new e90? there's your answer.

on top of not being eager, who'd really want to pay the sticker plus? i mean it's not an m5 or anything..

Average Jae said:
Bryan, when you first laid your eyes on the zhp, did you or did you not fall in love with your car? now can you say the same thing about the new e90? there's your answer.

on top of not being eager, who'd really want to pay the sticker plus? i mean it's not an m5 or anything..
Exactly Jason. We're talking about an E90 sedan, even for an E46 sedan......why would you want to pay over sticker, or even pay sticker on a hugely, mass produced car??

In the past, we have stupidly paid over sticker a few times [:o)] we wanted to be "one of the first" to have the new SL, S500 and once with the C43 AMG. Never again. Once you drive off the lot, the car drops value, and then on top of that, you paid over sticker. Just doesn't make sense.

I even got quite a bit off sticker on my 05 M3. Granted, the E46 is almost dead....but the M is here for at least 1 more year. Don't even think of paying over or even sticker price for a 3er.

With the M5 and M6...dealers here in So Cal will be asking 15-20k over sticker. I asked 2 dealers. Ridiculous!

Dave J

Just curious, how much is "quiet a bit off sticker" for your '05 M3? Just want to know if I got a decent deal on my newly ordered one.

Average Jae said:

I fist saw the ZHP in person in May 2003 at BMW Irvine. My car came from BMW Riverside about a month later.

The demand for the ZHP seemed to be much higher than I am actually seeing for the E90.

I like the E90 but I am not as excited about it as I was about the ZHP.

I look at a hell of a lot more cars than I ever purchase and I actually went to the dealer to see the car in person with no real intention of buying, as I told the salesman. But you know how they work; they never give up on a potential lead.

Anyway, I don’t think I would ever trade my car for the E90 because it does not offer enough benefit for the cost or the trade. I was very excited about the possibility of some extra room which is actually not noticeable from what I can see. I was also exited about the potential for some needed extra trunk space, once again, not what I had expected. So overall, why would I make the trade without getting some extra benefits that I would like and could actually use in terms of functionality? This would not be a good purchase, at least at this time.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Average Jae said:
if you follow that argument, how did they ever sell the e46 330i? bimmers commend a premium because they are still the top dog. even tho the competition has caught up, i don't think any has surpassed it, unless you factor money into it. and average out the performance w/ the real world cost implications.

325i is 45-50k!!? are you sure? the car starts out just above 30k, 15-20k in options? also you are comparing apples to oranges, i don't know how you figure that there is a bmw conflict btw 530i and the e90 325i..

if you add up the options on the 325i that is standard on the 330i, there is about a 3grand difference. the 3 grand buys you 40 more horses, bigger rims, fatter tires, prolly beefier brakes etc. not too shabby for less than 10% msrp imo.

You misunderstood me, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. The 330i E90 is 45k, and the 530i is about 45-50k well equipped. My point is if you're going to get the 330i why not add a few thousand more or add nothing at all (maybe depending on options) and upgrade to the 5er...(thats if status is your aim, which for most BMW buyers it is)

What I'm saying now is that the E90 325i offers E46 330i performance for the $$$... As for the 40 more hp you don't really need it when you already have 215, since if HIGH HP performance was your aim, then you would be at Acura or Infiniti. The E46 325i felt somewhat slow, especially with that 5 speed steptronic, but the E90 325i with it's 215hp and 6 speed isn't going to feel slow as it does 0-60 in 7 seconds. As for the bigger rims and tires you can buy them yourself, the brakes are probably the same since both cars are limited to 130mph, I don't think they need a contract with porsche for them just yet.

In summary what I'm saying is the 330i now competes with the 530i, even the 525i arguably. Especially with the addition of xi's to their lineup, it seems as if BMW is trying to make the 3-series their sports car lineup and the 5 series their luxury sports-sedan lineup with all the bells and whistles.

Bmw 325i 7803 said:
If you're buying one I would bargain down on the price at least 1.5-2k from MSRP... A good lease for a 3 series (36mo. 12k a yr) is nothing down and $625 a month, .

I noticed carsdirect.com is quoting the E90 at 500-1000 off MSRP. I also question the absolute flood or 3 Series already on the market. Just do a few searches on swaplease.com and some of the other car sites. There are TONS of 3 series on the market.

I guess this is why the 5 may actually be a better lease deal.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Bryan330i said:
Anyway, I don’t think I would ever trade my car for the E90 because it does not offer enough benefit for the cost or the trade. I was very excited about the possibility of some extra room which is actually not noticeable from what I can see. I was also exited about the potential for some needed extra trunk space, once again, not what I had expected. So overall, why would I make the trade without getting some extra benefits that I would like and could actually use in terms of functionality? This would not be a good purchase, at least at this time.
Exactly the new 330i doesn't offer as much space as the competitiors and those who want the performance and space will go with the comparably priced 530i which is only about 100lbs heavier??? Those who want a small car can get the 325i which now has 215hp that gets you to 60 in 7 seconds or less what more can you ask for? I think BMW jinxed themselves with those incentives on the 330i, the 330i was always the step-up but still practical model that got bought by those willing to shell out the extra cash. I expect to see incentives on the 45k E90 330i too just give it till next spring...

Bmw 325i 7803 said:
You misunderstood me, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. The 330i E90 is 45k, and the 530i is about 45-50k well equipped. My point is if you're going to get the 330i why not add a few thousand more or add nothing at all (maybe depending on options) and upgrade to the 5er...(thats if status is your aim, which for most BMW buyers it is)
Steve, first off, i should've given you the benefit of the doubt, but if you look back at your post, the way you typed it and explained, you said 325i was 45-50k. anyway, maybe you had two thoughts at once, and got names/ numbers mixed up.. it happens [:)]

if you really want to compare the 330i to 530i, even tho i don't think they are not comparable, (BMW isn't nissan having Altima canabolize the Maxima) let's start w/ options and pricing. e 90 330i loaded tops out at 50k, if you add the steptro, active cruise and all the goodies. if you do the same to the 530i, all of a sudden it goes up to 60k-ish. so you be the judge.

What I'm saying now is that the E90 325i offers E46 330i performance for the $$$... As for the 40 more hp you don't really need it when you already have 215, since if HIGH HP performance was your aim, then you would be at Acura or Infiniti. The E46 325i felt somewhat slow, especially with that 5 speed steptronic, but the E90 325i with it's 215hp and 6 speed isn't going to feel slow as it does 0-60 in 7 seconds. As for the bigger rims and tires you can buy them yourself, the brakes are probably the same since both cars are limited to 130mph, I don't think they need a contract with porsche for them just yet.
you don't really need the 40 horses?? ok, i'll give you that. let's just say that you buy those rims and tires yourself, maybe not the brakes, wouldn't that make the 40 horse power much much cheaper? i mean i dropped $1500 on my 17 inch rims and snows, so say you only dropped $1500 on 19s and ultra perf run flats. that means the 40 horses are only $1500 or less. i don't know about you, but that sounds like a really good deal to me. and remember you buy a bimmer, because it is a bimmer. BUT more horsepower the better imo. why do you think they no longer sell the four banger bmws in the states? and why do most of us clamor for that M that's out of reach? 333...

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Bmw 325i 7803 said:
Actually I see where everything got confused....

What is in bold is supposed to be a NEW sentence since it compares for 45-50k two cars ALSO with the 255hp I6. Apparently I got carried away with the "..." again, my bad.

With that said the 530i or 525i (for better arguments sake) with comparable options and the significant discount off MSRP is still the better buy. Anyway we'll see...but I do agree the 330i with the 40 more hp is worth it, but if you're out for "the car" then spending 45-50k on a 330i doesn't seem to be as justified as spending that on a 5 series would be. I guess what I was trying to convey was those who want a small rocket for 35k will go elsewhere and those who want a luxury 48k car can get a 5-series.