Dealer ruined my rear 19" M wheel

I am so furious...and feel like I have no recourse!! Last week I had a dent removed at our local BMW dealer. They did a great job..couldn't be happier.

Went out today to give my baby her weekly cleaning, and I saw that my rear passenger 19 inch beautiful, perfect :( ///M wheel is completely gouged/curb rashed....all the way around, deep into the metal.

I went in the house in a complete panic [:(!] , checked my invoice...and just as I thought there was nothing marked on my paper work that I had any damage....they walk around and check the paint and the wheels every time a car is turned in. I didn't even have a sand size mark on any of my wheels.

I called my SA at the dealer...and he said "Oh I remember seeing that wheel, and thought how horrible on such a beautiful car". That is such BS....my wheels are perfect. That car is my frickin child....I baby it so much. I told him that my paperwork states no damage when the car was turned in. He says that his papers shows that my wheel was thrashed. Can they do this, can they change the paperwork, with my signature on it?

What do I do, can I do? Venting...sorry!!

Tom

Staff Team
Try sending an email/letter to the Service Manager or Director. I did that when they put a small scratch on my Infiniti. I sent a letter to the Director and they agreed to fix it.

Just thinking out loud. If there record and the paper they gave you are from the same hand (i.e. one page is a carbon copy) then I don't see how they can get out it legally. They are liable for damages sustained--that's the point of that freaking inspection. I would suggest not dealing with anyone through a phone conversation or letter. Go down to the dealership; find the general manager, show him your copy; give him the name of the person who lied to you on the phone, and request or demand that a new rim be placed on your vehicle. Judge how the manager acts and be more or less agressive based on his actions. Good Luck. Trust me, don't apologize for venting; anyone on this board would be equally as pissed. Sorry to hear about it though.

Sean

They gouged my rear rim too and I had them fix it, infact I demanded it...

You have to be forceful with these people.

They sent it off to some company that repairs BMW rims and it came back brand new and I had them put it back on...

Best of luck and sorry to hear that!

William330

Dealers are scum.

Whenever I go in for a service, I make the guy write on my slip "no dings
scratches or damage" before leaving the car with them.

Usually have to 'remind' them three times to write it down, but never
leave the car until they do.

Try going to the dealer in person, and talk to the manager/owner. It's
easier to blow you off on the phone, so walk in.

I don't know if you bought all your cars from that dealer, but remind him that his action on this wheel will determine if you ever buy from them again. Reminding him of all the bimmers you have owned, and your brand loyalty for future purchases should get his attention.

I can't understand how these dealerships can get away with treating clients like crap, obvously this isn't the case for everyone, but you get what I mean. It's such a niche market, and Im sure that any logical dealership would think of pleasing the customer so that they do return. I don't get it, not at all, I've said it before, but we have received better customer service from Toyota.

Mate that really sucks. Not only has your desire to keep your baby utterly spotless been undermined, it has been undermined by the very people who you expect would share the utmost appreciation of the (dollar and emotional) value of your car. Then again, the dealerships do have shocking track-records as far as customer satisfaction goes.

In my opinion, I would go right back to the dealership with a full head of steam. Show them you mean business and that compromise is most definitely not an option. They fix the wheel or they lose your business (presumably you got the X5 and the Z8 from the same dealership, so you should have significant leverage), simple as that.

IMO, if they're recalcitrant it just means they're trying to buy time in the hope that you tire of the effort. That's when you show them that you're not going to simply accept the cost of their mistake. Of course, time is of the utmost importance here as the longer you leave any action the more opportunity you give them to say you were the one that busted the rim.

Stick it right up 'em mate!

I know this isin't going to change how you feel but I look at marks on a vehicle as battle scars or better yet "patina". It shows the Bimmer is not babied but driven the way it was designed for. Just a thought. Hope you feel a little better.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I have a meeting on Wed. with the Service Mgr. I will be very firm, bu not an ass...sometimes the old bees with honey not vinegar thing works. But...if they patronize or get shitty with me...the gloves are off. My car= fight :)

And in regards to the scratches being battle wounds/patinas....thanks for trying...but I freak if there is any damage. Nice try though :)

Good Luck with the dealer. A few years ago, I had tires rotated, and they still needed balancing. I took them "the next day" to be balanced, and they couldn't get the wheels off...they actaully had to take a torch to them to get them loose....the worst part is, when I got the car back, there were scorch marks on the wheel nuts, and the alloys were totally scorched...1 service manager + 1 large freakout = new rims...unbelievable!!!!

Did the dealer detail the car during the service, wash and clean the interior. From what you described, looks like the car went into the automatic car wash. The tracks are too tall to low profile tires. Find out where they washed the car if it not on site. Match the damages bf talking to the service rep.

My dealer is pretty good. they just put in a 10 million upgrade with a new showroom and service center with a car wash. I was concerned because my friend put his 325 with the 17' style 67 rims through a car wash and ruin his rims so I was curious and checked. Their car wash rails has foam to protect the low profile tires.

good luck.

Hold your own and don't back down no matter what Adam. I feel for you. That really sucks man. I agree, be firm but not an ass. Like you stated if they began to be an ass or non-interested and start to put the blame back on you let go of the gloves, because it is "go" time. I really don't think they have a leg to stand on.

I like others assume you purchased most if not all of your BMW's at that dealer. That is a lot of business. This is a very large bargaining tool if it ever reaches BMWNA (god forbid it should), because it shouldn’t. You stated you had the drop off sheet that shows there were no dings or scratches etc... This itself should be enough to prove your point no matter what the dealer has on their file. This is the piece of paper "they" gave you stating the condition of your car. Even if your car did, which we know it didn't, have scratches, banged up wheels etc... this piece of paper is a leg to stand on if needed. They should honor "their" mistake and own up and do the right thing; fix the problem with a new wheel.....

Good luck Adam, I'm pulling for you....

Dealer said NO. The manager said that once a car leaves the lot, they are not responsible for any damage. According to them, their paperwork shows previous damage (they are still looking for the paperwork though) [bash] Nice!

The manager said 1 week passed before I claimed damage, and it could have happended anywhere (he does not obviously know how I treat my car).

Even though I explained to him that we have purchased 4 cars from their dealer in like a year, and we service ALL our cars with them...he would not budge. I told him that they just made a big mistake (especially since there are about 4 BMW dealers in a 5 mile radius here), and that I will be contacting BMWNA. He told me to go ahead.

I have an appt. tomorrow at 11am with aquaitance of ours who works for MBZ doing professional wheel repair. He says it can be fixed to factory standards, and no one will know the difference, and it will be as strong (it is only cosmetic damage).

Thanks BMW!!!

Thanks to all who replied. Appreciate the solidarity :)

Interesting that they are holding their ground, even though your paperwork shows it "clean" and they can't find theirs. The word "CONSPIRACY" comes to mind.....

Kirby said:
Interesting that they are holding their ground, even though your paperwork shows it "clean" and they can't find theirs. The word "CONSPIRACY" comes to mind.....
That is exactly one of my points above. How can they state that when the paperwork they physically handed you show no damage of any kind on your car. It is kind of funny how "their" paperwork cannot be found now, especially after only a week. That is really lame on their part and very very bad business. They just lost one of their best customers. This is the sort of thing that BMWNA has been trying to get away from. I am sure they won't be very happy to hear about this kind of treatment to a great customer

P.S. Be sure to tell BMWNA you belong to the BMW CCA and many forums and I am sure they are going to be happy to hear of the treatment you received. BMWNA does not like bad pub. Good luck Adam.....