Death trap

I know this post is for the wrong car (my (92 E34 525i) but I could use some ideas from Graham, Joseph, and Dan etc... So my piece of crap E34 is giving me a headache. The drivers side rear wheel is f-ed up. I jacked the car up and I can wiggle my wheel back and forth. It grinds when I drive it, almost like the half shaft is binding, and I can actually move the half-shaft in and out (back and forth between the diff and the hub. I never had any hum that I would accociate with a worn bearing though, but I'm assuming that is where I am getting the play from, but why would my half-shaft slide back and forth? [bigcry]

Sounds like the bearing is the culprit if you have play in the wheel. The halfshaft slides into the bearing. Check the CV's too. Bearings are a bitch to change - I wish you luck!

You need a pretty big socket and one hell of a rattle gun to get the lock nut off, and then getting the bearing out is pretty fun. Last time I just ended up dropping the subframe and doing it on the ground. Its actually alot faster in the end as there is no room to swing a hammer otherwise.

or you could use bearing pullers lol.

The half shaft will move in and out of the output and input splines a little when new, there is nothing wrong there, though if its excessive (including excessive up and down play with the end float) you may be up for a half shaft (whole new one, not sure if you can buy just the separate splines and cv cup) if the splines are ****ed, also, the bearing will need to be replaced.

You could always just swap the m50 from the e34 into the e30 cab, and do away with unnessesary e34 yukkyness?

My 2 cents anyway, hope those splines arn't rooted. Just another "con" about IRS is those bloody half shafts!