Dinan S2 Question

ZachD

I'm thinking about maybe going all out and putting the S2 on my M3. If anyone has already put the S2 on their's please let me know how much of a difference it makes, plus I don't really like the 19" wheels that it comes with. I figure for the kind of money it will cost I'd like to learn as much as I can about it before I spend all the money. I know I definetly want to go dinan, but any help would be appriciated.

Tom

Staff Team
Any idea how much thats going to set you back? I've heard that the whole package is suppose to add another 28 horses.

s2

I do not have the complete S2 package, but I can tell you that the stage 2 suspension is worth it and a big improvement. It has a smoother ride along with a more planted and solid feel. I have the stock OEM 18's on the car and I agree with you on the price of the Dinan 19's if you do not like the look of them, I would certainly look else where. I have not taken it back to the track yet to get a sense of how big the difference is under extreme conditions, but the everyday driving experience is certainly improved. Bimmer has an article on the S2, and Car and Driver is comming out with one in the next month or so.

I plan to do the S2 engine mods in the spring and will let you know what I think, if you have not already pulled the trigger by then.

My mods so far are the Stage 2 suspension, strut braces, drilled rotors and a supersprint exhaust. I am planning on the UUC rasp pipe this winter and then the Dinan engine mods after that.

Good luck and have fun

BTM3

The latest issue of Bimmer mag - Nov 2003 issue has a whole review of the S2 package. Cost is $17,498 for the upgrade to an e46 m3. horsepower goes up to 361hp. The main difference is upped handling due to the wider rims on the 19"s. 275/30 - 19 front and 285/30 - 19 back. Personally, I'm happy with my stock M3.

BTM3

to keep it short as the article is pretty long: wider tires, lighter 19" rims other than that.. nothing exterior. Dinan says "we didn't have to modify the body because the factory flares were already there for us to use, (BMW) just didn't use them" Upgraded shocks, springs and front sway bar. The HP increase is just some breathing and exhaust improvements. according to them, the M3 is one of the, if not the most efficient production engine available (naturally aspirated). the throttle bodies are overbored and there's a revised engine management system to replace the stock. the chip also ups rpm limits from 8000 to 8200rpm and last but not least is replacing the final drive ratio from 3:62:1 (stock) to 3.91:1. the S2 numbers are: 0 to 60 4.4 secs vs. 4.8 stock / 13.2 secs @ 108mph for the 1/4 mile and since no restriction... top speed is 189mph.