Do you like SMG tranny?

Just test drove a '03 M3 with SMG. I meant to drive a regular stick but they were out. Anyhow, do you guys really like that SMG option more than a regular manual?????????? I'd take regular any day!

i dun know if it's worth extra 24k

besides from what i hear, at least on the euro versions, it has a memory for hard launches, allowing only one per a certain amount of time, and something around 20 or so times per life of the transmission..

isn't half the fun doing the shifting yourself? i dun know, i'm not sure if i'd drop that much for it..

Well, I had an E46 M3 six speed and today I bought an SMG (test drove it first). Having control is a factor, but you can adjust your driving style from passive to extremely agggresive , and that makes it extremely fun to drive. If you like to have total control (and don't drive in heavy traffic to often), then the six speed is for you. Other than that, go with the SMG. I love it.

tonight i took the smg for a long drive on the taconic pkwy in NY for the first time. My god! i had it in the 5th level drivelogic and in sport mode. this thing shifts in less than a second and it was flying. and on the down shifts while overtaking? heavenly! usually some a__hole will see me and challenge me... at least with the 6 spd i had previously. this time all cars i passed were just a blur... so even if someone tried to challenge me, before they new it i was a mile ahead. i think the smg gives the driver added confidence. How can anyone say they don't like the smg? now, the 6 speed i had was sweet, but the smg is just as sweet.

BTM3

Even though mine's in the shop because of some tranny issues... SMG - all the way.. just takes a little time with it to truly enjoy it. but like 'bachma's' last post... sport mode, dsc off and smg turned up... soooooooooooo much fun. its just different.

I drove a friend's dad's M3 Convertible once (SMG trans). I felt the "auto" position was kind of lazy to upshift but I was only in mode 2 or mode 3. When I used the paddle shifters to shift, I thought it was absolutely amazing. I love the digital gauge that tells you what gear you are in...feels like you are driving a real race car.

bahnstormer, I was in SMG mode... the only time I drove it in A mode was when I test drove it (and that was in level 3 drivelogic). I'm gonna see how it is in A mode for a fellow forum member whose considering buying an SMG but wants to know what the A mode feels like while driving at the higher level.
By the way, last night I tried it at high speeds while on a twisty highway... a guy in a sports car (dunno which.. looked like recent RX7 model), was hitting his brakes while going through a turn, I passed him at about 90mph on the turn without touching the brake pedal... the car stood its ground with flying colors.
The M3 is truly an amazing automobile.

Abdoman, I use the lever to shift while turning, instead of the paddles ... it's easier since the paddles move with the steering. I had an M3 6-speed before I got the smg. I think control is about the same. You gear up and gear down the same, just a lot (a whole lot) faster. As a result, when being challenge, the other guy can't shift fast enough to keep up with you. Trust me, if you drive an smg, especially at high speeds (drivelogic 5 and above, in smg mode, and sport button activated), you'll be amazed.

That's really interesting, I bet the SMG does help a driver out in quite a few situations. I think my problem with SMG is that I love having that clutch pedal. [fake]