e30 engine conversion (slow process thread)

looks really nice to me

via the pictures at least...that's a hellouva job isn't it....but everything looks outstanding.....best of of luck on this project....regards...cliff

Started my swap today, removed old m20 and box and started on the mount plates for the m30.

Proof:

Bottom left is G265(m30), up from that is G260(m20), Up again is m20b23, and the m30b35!

An interesting thing I found out today, The m20 starter bolts up to the m30 block fine, the m20b23 flywheel also bolts up fine, I'm starting to think that my m20 flywheel could have worked? Can anyone tell me I'm crazy for thinking this!?
However, comparing the two flywheels (m30, m20) the m30 is slightly larger and the clutch kit I have for the m30 flywheel does not fit the m20 flywheel as it's slightly smaller.

More (crappy) progress pictures tomorrow!

Go hard Jo. Maybe it will give me the impetus I need to start mine - can't have you aussies in front. Doing the suspension work I mentioned in another thread this week, then onto the next project. Me thinks you'll beat me there, but I'm hoping to have more power!

lol Graham.
Got the m30 and G265 in today.... Then pulled it back out, then back in, and back out!
Making engine mounts isn't as easy as I thought, It's not really the engine that is the hassle, it's me making the bracket plates - getting half way though then changing my mind and redoing them completely! Oh well.... Pics!

Engine going in for first time (note : bellhousing bolted to back of engine [:)])

Engine half way down but with the transmission on this time:

More tomorrow
Cheers guys!

Once again, sorry about poor picture quality guys! You get the idea though.

635Csi original transmission crossmember (pre modification) :

Transmission crossmember modified :

Stock e30 shifter arms cut to be shortened and tig welded back together :

Finally, Clearance at front :

Thanks for all the comments, More tomorrow!

lol, The ground isn't dirt! I'ts just very dirty concrete...

Big daddy, your welcome to come clean the dirty concrete any time you want! j/k.

Just between you's and me, I'm more or less using this old e30 as a template for fitting the m30, latter down the track I plan on buying another e30 that is in much better shape and doing the swap again using my engine brackets etc...

Peace.

Last edited:
Not dirt? pfft *****.

Up until some very recent concrete laying I've done everything on all my cars on a dirt floor. You havn't worked on a car until you get in the shower afterwad and the water runs brown out of your hair.

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job. I see you are going for something close to position I or II for the m30 and presumably going to run electric fans?

Me and two mates put a 2.7l turbo diesel Nissan Terrano motor in his Mazda B2000/Ford Courier ute last night. Its in, wired and running, but needs alot of finishing off. We went from petrol to diesel which was fun. So I'm understand how you are feeling right now with the anticipation of getting it on the road. We're going to try and get the ute on the road tonight.

I think I'm more close to position 2 than one, yep I'll run a stock e30 ac fan (with fins removed from the condenser) to cool the turd.

Didn't have much progress today, spent almost all day figuring out the shifter rods, every time i went to weld with the tig it blew and the material wouldn't stick to the aluminum, even tried oxy welding with flux core normal core material... And wouldn't work, ended up having to bolt the two rods together and came up looking shit...

On the plus side, I sent the drive shaft's up to be shortened today, hope to get it back soon!

Cheers for the comments, my body is so raped from this work!

Last edited:
More pictures!

because the m30's exhaust manifold sits so close to the steering knuckle, replacing the rubber donut with steel so it does not melt seems like a good idea, also gives me a heap more clearance :

Also put the clutch in today :

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a starter motor (going to use 635Csi starter) and take two days off the tools as my body is completely raped from work... Might get pissed too eh.

Cheers guys.

Picked up the e24 635Csi starter yesterday :

Noticed on the solenoid that it has an extra pin that does not seem to be connected (externally) to any of the other posts? any ideas from anyone?

Joseph.

Not sure about the solenoid. I like your steering link - The rubber ones always break anyway. The old one looks pretty good though.

We got the ute finished btw.
The first thing I replaced on my e30 was that very rubber doughnut...

See where my online idenity came from? Though my nickname at school was doughnut anyway (coincidence?) And no, I'm not over weight thankyou very much!

M30 is back in the e30 again, most stuff is wired up, have fuel, it turns over with the key but I'm not getting any spark...

I'll have to keep on it, need to finish up this week!