E90 Covertible to have Retractable Hardtop

Check out the May issue of Popular Mechanics. On page 56 is a small picture of the E90 convertible with a retractable hard top. Way cool!

I just wish that the folks at BMW would come up with some less boring colors. Aside from red, the current E90 colors are really dull.

Love my Mystic Blue 330.

Dawn

The retracting hard top would be great! This is a rumor that is one of those on again , off again stories. One source says it's a go, and then somebody else reports it has been nixed.

I like the mystic blue, it was 2nd choice behind Titanium Silver for my 330cic. I love the Interlagos Blue on the M3 comp, like Deutsch100 has. I'm hoping they will offer Interlagos Blue on the Z4M, which is my #1 choice for my next bimmer.

It's not happening. No way in hell they're doing a 4-seater (cabriolet) retractable hardtop. It's not doable (engineering-wise) and it would completely eliminate the purpose of a coupe and a convertible.

Andi

MrElussive said:
It's not happening. No way in hell they're doing a 4-seater (cabriolet) retractable hardtop. It's not doable (engineering-wise) and it would completely eliminate the purpose of a coupe and a convertible.
They will do it.

The roofs of the other cars (SLK, SL) are made of 2 pieces, the new BMW hardtop will have 3 pieces. With this technique they can build a 4 seated coupe/convertible and have some space in the trunk left when the roof is open.

MrElussive said:
Sorry, but it is doable engineering-wise and has been done.

Valmet has designed at least 3 prototypes for various manufacturers, and it was under serious consideration on the Volvo C70 convertible (which I seriously considered buying), but Volvo nixed the entire car, not just the folding hardtop. Supposedly Valmet has delivered a few cars hand built for custom orders.

Production-wise, it is not easy, and may be questionable in production $$$.

Fwu

i agree with mr.elussive, not because of the impossibility of it engineering-wise but because of the marketing issue - the coupe would become obsolete if the convertible had a retractable hardtop

Maybe, maybe not? Convertibles always demand a $5,000 - $10,000 premium price. Wouldn't the lower cost keep the coupe alive and happy?

Well, think of it this way. If any company would come out with a 4-seater hardtop convertible first, it would be Mercedes.

Retractable hardtop only works well for roadsters. There is just too much "roof" on a cabriolet to make it worth-while...it would just add so much weight, take up so much trunk space, and mainly it would just completely destroy the purpose of a coupe and a convertible.

Kirby said:
Maybe, maybe not? Convertibles always demand a $5,000 - $10,000 premium price. Wouldn't the lower cost keep the coupe alive and happy?
This is a marketing issue that is out of our hands. Personally, I would love a 2-door car that has the looks of a coupe (top up) and the fun of a convertible (top down) but it would just defeat the purpose of a coupe and a cabriolet. Sure, the hard-top convertible will be significantly more expensive, but it might be economically better for the auto manufacturer to only offer the coupe/convertible model, and no standard coupe or standard convertible. People who cannot or do not want to pay the premium can look elsewhere for a cheaper vehicle.

Btw, the Volvo C70 Convertible is still being produced. I saw one the other day and it is on the Volvo website also.

Two years ago they announced that the C70 convertible was being discontinued due to very slow sales. But maybe the Ford involvement changed things? I test drove one back then and was very disappointed. I could literally feel the body twist as I went over large bumps, the steering wheel shook violently. I later found out that some people call it the "Flexible Flyer"!

is it bad to not have a "coupe" or a "cabriolet"?

couldn't they make the hard top the standard and having a retractable hard top an option? and let the customer choose? i dont' understand the significance of having a separate coupe and a convertible so enlighten me on this one.

Lexus has a 4 seat retractable hardtop right now (ok, the back seat is for torsos only, but it is a back seat). Also the Pontiac G6 convertible will be a folding hardtop and seat 4 "comfortably". The next Volvo convertible (C??) will be a hardtop convertible. It will be more compact than the C70, however still seat 4 people.

I think the market will support both a coupe and hardtop convertible...especially when you factor in the price. Those who want the convertible are willing to pay for it. BMW would lose customers if the only E90 two door started out $10000 more than the E46 two door coupe.

I think they're gonna do it. It's time. And the argument of hard-top coupe vs. convertible is moot. There has been a hard-top option for convertibles for the past 12 years. Granted, it's got to be removed completely, but the option is there. If they were worried about cannibalizing their hard-top coupe sales, BMW would never have made the removeable hard-top an option on convertibles.

I can't wait to see the production version of the E90 convertible. I hope I'm more impressed than I am with the sedan.

diablo said:
There won't be a 3-series hardtop convertible. If there is one made, it'll be the 4-series.
it's been a while since anyone mentioned the 4. iirc they killed that concept a while back. 3 will remain a 3 in both sedan and coupe form.

The last thing I had read (and this was back in Jan/Feb) was that there would be three M3 styles (sedan, coupe, cabrio) and that the M4 (if built) would be only a retractable hardtop cabrio. But as Jae said, there hasn't been much 4 series buzz lately.

i can imagine that BMW gives the curent 3 series convertible the retractible hard top. not even the marketing aspect would be an issue. I think that with the current development of cars, especially convertibles, there is no other chance for BMW to do it. all other manufacturers are going that way and as long as your are not aiming for small series like elise etc., that has to be your way too. people tend to feel safer and more comfortable in the hard top versions.

regardning the coupe vs. hard top 3 series, there is no problem. the one who wants a convertible, buys it for the convertible feature, no matter how it works. the one who does not want to buy an convertible simply will not. i don´t think that the material the roof is made off will close the gap between couipe and convertible.

i just think that the time for the soft tops is over....sad sad though...