Experiences on 19" Upgraded Factory Rims

Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with the upgrade 19" factory wheels on the new M3? I drove the M3 with the 19s and thought it was fine, but again, I only test drove it. I am not sure how it would turn out in the long run. How about as a daily commute mostly on the highway? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks[thumb]

I purchased some aftermarket 19" forged rims after I realized how much BMW wanted for theirs. Basically ended up with two sets of rims and tires for a bit more that BMW wanted for switching out the 18"s to the 19"s.

There is a bit of difference between the two. The 19"s will be a bit rougher, but not a lot. The handling compared to the 18"s is just plain awesome. I really depends on the roads you travel, if you often see pot holes, I would go with the 18"s.

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
vlad said:
I purchased some aftermarket 19" forged rims after I realized how much BMW wanted for theirs. Basically ended up with two sets of rims and tires for a bit more that BMW wanted for switching out the 18"s to the 19"s.

There is a bit of difference between the two. The 19"s will be a bit rougher, but not a lot. The handling compared to the 18"s is just plain awesome. I really depends on the roads you travel, if you often see pot holes, I would go with the 18"s.
imo there are 2 types of M3 owners Drivers and Showboaters. the drivers take the coupe with the 18" wheels as it has been track proven to give the best handling and quickest track times. as well as a better all round ride on the road. the second type of owner is the cabrio guys with the 19"s who want to LOOK as good as they can, but can usually not drive for Sh1t they buy the M3 for prestigue. when you mention "handling compared to the 18"s is just plain awesome" what do you mean????? better road holding???? more grip round corners??? thats is what will happen. on the 19"s you'll be able to go round a corner a little (but not really that noticeably) faster without stepping the back out. however the On-The-Limit handling (which is what the car is designed for) is worse.

All in all though unless your gonna put the car on a track either wheels are good but if your gonna do the track thang stick with 18"s

I have to admit that the 19s, because of the suspension on the M3, are still pretty smooth while driving in the city. I looked at an M3 with 18s and one with 19s. You could definitely tell the difference. I guess it's all in the looks. I'll prob. end up getting aftermarket rims.

I have 19" and take some offense to saying that people with 19"s are showboaters and can't drive.. in that same notion I can easily say People with 18"s are people that are too poor to afford the 19"s and have to justify to themselves why they didn't get the 19"s... Sounds STUPID doesn't it.. well you shouldn't make blanket statements like that.. If you are going to call someone a driver/racer.. well.. hell.. ya know what.. "REAL" racers won't be using the same rubber that comes on the Stock.. "REAL" racers won't have A/C and other "useless" features.. give me a break.. I would be willing to bet maybe 1% of people that have bought new M3's don't ever even go to a track or a rally.. unless they are trying it once for "testing" purposes.. I dont' know where the air of supperiority comes from.. but to me.. an M3 owner is an M3 owner... no 2 types.. but 1,000s of different personalities..

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
MindSpike said:
I have 19" and take some offense to saying that people with 19"s are showboaters and can't drive.. in that same notion I can easily say People with 18"s are people that are too poor to afford the 19"s and have to justify to themselves why they didn't get the 19"s... Sounds STUPID doesn't it.. well you shouldn't make blanket statements like that.. If you are going to call someone a driver/racer.. well.. hell.. ya know what.. "REAL" racers won't be using the same rubber that comes on the Stock.. "REAL" racers won't have A/C and other "useless" features.. give me a break.. I would be willing to bet maybe 1% of people that have bought new M3's don't ever even go to a track or a rally.. unless they are trying it once for "testing" purposes.. I dont' know where the air of supperiority comes from.. but to me.. an M3 owner is an M3 owner... no 2 types.. but 1,000s of different personalities..
calm down, what i said was imo but where i live in the south of england there are alot of cabrios around that do just what i said, only buy to make a statement, not to drive, and cant actually push the cars that hard. the coupe drivers are the drivers, (in general) although there are always exceptions. if you read carefully i only said that on the limit blah blah 18"s, but what people buy is what people want, your all entitled to your opinion wrong or right. This is just from my point of view, things differ alot in different parts of the country let alone the world. Sadly very few M cars actually sold here actually hit the track due to the high cost and lack of insurance cover on the cars.

Another opinion...

I have the 18"s on mine and have been to the track four times so far. The car is an absolute blast on the track and can run with best. I personally think the OEM 18's look better than the OEM 19"'s. I would consider some aftermarket 19"'s in order to get some wider rubber on the road like the Dinan 19"'s rather than just lowering the tire profile. If you end up going to the
track, plan on getting some drilled rotors, as the stock US rotors will eventually warp.

Peace