Failed Tail Lights Warning

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with their 323i (1999) tail light warnings mis-reporting a malfunction.

About a month ago the dashboard warning for failed tail lights came on when I started my car. I had a friend go behind and look while I both turned on all the lights and also stepped on my brakes. And, all my tail lights are working fine. (I even took out some of the bulbs and they look good.)

So, I'm a bit puzzled. Has anyone else had this issue, and (a) what was the cause and (b) how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Detrich

1999 BMW 323i: MT 5-Speed i6: Orient Blue: Gray Leather: Premium Package: 10-Speaker HK 6-Disc/ Cassette: Moon Roof: Fog Lights: 16" Alloys. [9/1998]

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Also make sure all the lamps in your car are the "euro" type, those with the silver base, NOT the brass basedd American lamps. This is a good time to clean the contacts as well.

Thanks Andre, that was it! I can't believe I didn't think of that bulb. <LOL> Do you happen to remember the bulb type? If not, no biggie. (The manual says a 5w bulb, but it doesn't give the size/ type.) No biggie tho- I can take it off and then bring the burned out ones to the part store. Thanks again.

Detrich said:
Thanks Andre, that was it! I can't believe I didn't think of that bulb. <LOL> Do you happen to remember the bulb type? If not, no biggie. (The manual says a 5w bulb, but it doesn't give the size/ type.) No biggie tho- I can take it off and then bring the burned out ones to the part store. Thanks again.
Glad to hear that was it.
No, I don't remeber the type, but your dealer can tell you, and they're very cheap.

This should be in a FAQ somewhere, since it's not obvious.