fuel problems

jam

[confused] can anyone help? I drive a 525tds (year 1996), this has been a wonderful car and I feel really smug every time I drive it ,however this past few months it has been giving me some heartache. It seems that whenever the fuel level drops to one quarter full the car becomes difficult to start and will eventually stop running. I have checked the fuel gauge & sender.The problem is resolved by topping up the fuel.
I am also having trouble with the belt tensioner failing and the replacement failing with-in 3 months.

epj3

jam said:
[confused] can anyone help? I drive a 525tds (year 1996), this has been a wonderful car and I feel really smug every time I drive it ,however this past few months it has been giving me some heartache. It seems that whenever the fuel level drops to one quarter full the car becomes difficult to start and will eventually stop running. I have checked the fuel gauge & sender.The problem is resolved by topping up the fuel.
I am also having trouble with the belt tensioner failing and the replacement failing with-in 3 months.
Hm, sounds like the tank is loosing pressure. The vapor recovery system (the thing thats filled with charcoal on the gas tank -- keeps the environment cleaner) might have been damaged or missing. This is weird though, I've never heard of a problem like this. Good luck man [thumb]