Have a question regarding SMG

timmy

Is SMG the same throughout the BMW product line. I'm looking into getting a '04 545i with SMG and was wondering if there is an automatic mode where the car shifts for you a'la the M3s.

Thanks.

ThaRealest

I just ordered a 2004 330Ci with SMG. I was told by the dealer that it was going to be the same SMG found in the Z4. It has a automatic mode, but does not have th 5 drive-logic modes found in the M3

bmwrocks

1000 Post Club
Check this link. Fully describes BMW SMG.

TheRealest, I wouldn't fully trust the dealer on this one. You probably know more than they do. I couldn't find a definitive answer as to which version of SMG your 330 will have, but as far as I know, there are only 2 versions. SMG and SMG II. SMG II is not offered in the US, so I would bet you are getting the US M3 version. It would not be like BMW to have many different versions of a specific tranny. That would cause logistics problems they would want no part of.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2020324.001/bmw/1.html

timmy

Thanks guys for the info. The reason I'm asking is in the new 5 series catalog, it mentions the SMG but doesn't mention the "A" mode like the M3. I was at the dealer yesterday looking at the 5 series and asked about the SMG and the salesman said the SMG on the 5 series, you would need to either paddle shift or shift with the stick....no automatic mode. I don't think he knew what he was talking about. They didn't have any SMG 5 series in stock. Does anyone know if the new 5 series with SMG has the "A" mode so the car shifts automatically for you.

Thanks.

ThaRealest

www.bmwusa.com has finally been updated with the 2004 info. From the website regarding the SMG on the 3-series and the 5-series:

"6-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) with Automated, Manual and Sport programs and Dynamic Driving Control (Sport button)
Requires Sport Package."

So looks like I was correct in that we will both be getting Automatic and Sport modes, but not the 5 drive-logic modes the M3 gets. Cool.