High Mileage and Maintenance

jordana

I need some good advice. I have a 2003 330i. I am nearing my 100,000 mile warranty. Would someone please tell me what I should have checked out before the warranty is up? (please be as specific as possible, mechanic terminology would be helpful) Thanks.

besides the normal wear & tear items such as oil, oil filter, brakes, brake pads, brake rotors, battery, it might be a good idea to additional check the water pump, radiator, coolant reservoir, windshield wiper fluid pump, serpentine belts, engine mounts, control arm bearings, oil pan, moon roof mechanism (clips), and catalytic converter.

I suggested a transmission service to my mechanic and he said the car had some kind of "lifetime" transmission fluid and it needed to be checked to make sure it didn't get low, but it didn't require a traditional service.. My car wasn't under warrenty and I don't know why he would have passed on doing this unless he was correct... My car is a 2002 330i sport with the steptronic..

Big Daddy

This has been debated over and over, what is "lifetime", when the warranty expires and BMW could care less! No oil will last a "lifetime", it gets contaminated. Why would it be any different than your engine or differential? Every independent BMW shop I know says "lifetime" is an ad gimick and they suggest changing the fluids. Why would you need to check it if it is lifetime? And why can you only check it with software, no dipstick. Sorry I do not buy it.

This is a quote fromthe BMW CCA website forums:
I worked as a tech at a BMW dealership for a while and I was told that, according to BMW, mileage on a lifetime fill is 75K to 100K miles
And this:
lifetime fluid means, lifetime is until the part breaks. thats what the tech editor for bimmer magazine always says
And:
Mike Miller recommends all those fluids be changed every 30k. Email him at Tech Talk and ask him to send you his "old school"maintenance guidelines document.