How often should I treat my leather?

heckler

Just picked up a new 2003 530i.. what a car! Got the montana black leather seats too.

My question is just how often should one clean/condition the seats? Obviously if they are getting nasty/grungy then one should - but is there any recommended schedule to doing them? twice a year? three times?

I've noticed some areas which are discolored a little, mainly from people sitting in the seats, skin rubbing against the leather etc. Basically just whitish marks which could be wiped off somehow..

So whats the answer?

Vrrrrrrm! [thumb]

I use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner, see my detailing guide. About time wise, I suggest every 2-3 months. Most markings on the leather will come off with any product.

leather

The best product for leather is LEXOL.

Here are the steps:

1. you have to buy a microfiber cloths from auto store.

2. First wash the microfiber cloths in a washer because they contain particles and dust from the factory. Dry them!

3. Take LEXOL leather cleaner and put a good amount of it in to the hot water in a bucket. Take microfiber cloth and pour in to the water. Stir and you can start cleaning. Repeat process every time you see the cloth is getting dirty.

4. After this get a new clean warm water and wipe your leather throughly.

5. Let dry and than take a new dry microfiber cloth and LEXOL leather conditioner. Spray your cloth. NEVER DIRECTLY ON THE LEATHER! and wipe throughly. Use only small amount.

6. Let dry and you are ready to go.

To keep the leather look like new you have to do this every month. Depends how often you drive.

[thumb]

Although Im not trying to offend anyone, I truely do not like lexal. I would suggest either Zaino or Leatherique. Both are good but I have had many problems when I used Lexal.

Lexal you ahve to have in a bucket and, if you have pereforated leather dont even bother, it gets inside the leather and causes havic. Zaino's leather cleaner is a spray it on and wipe it off, and you will get just as good of results.

I do agree that microfiber cloths are good to use, I have used them and they work well. I mostly use the 100% cotton cloths from Griots Garage however, they come out cheeper and will never leave any lint even when they are brand new.