I Drive FAILED!

The downfall of electronics is that when they break, you feel it. The even more annoying thing here is that you don't really have a choice of whether or not you get iDrive, I understand that some people love it for the array of options that it brings up, and personally, I love gadgets and would have a field day with it, the major problem is that iDrive isn't intuitive enough.

I'm basing my judgment on my Dad's 530 and taking it only for a day while my car was in for a service. I had used it (iDrive) previously, but not while driving, and it annoyed me that it wasn't simple to change from radio to cd without having to divert attention away from the road for a sufficiently longer period of time than if I were in my car and had to only select "Mode". There are most likely times when it comes in handy, I like the options in regards to viewing service status and things like that, and the navigation system is quite thorough as well, but it shouldn't be that difficult for everyday things.

I understand that there is a more revised and simplified system of iDrive now available with shortcuts. It seems however, that every model comes out with a more simplified version of iDrive. I believe the 7 series, the first to debut the feature had 12 (if I'm not mistaken) initial menu options, which was reduced to the 4 that is on my Dad's version. Why does each version have to become more simplified if the technology isn't flawed? BMW are admitting slowly, annoyingly slowly that there is a problem with iDrive. For cars with such a high price, I can't understand why it's taken now four or even more years to start getting it right. It feels like people have to pay a lot of money to be market researchers, and in effect, a guinea pig.

tazza0712 said:
The downfall of electronics is that when they break, you feel it. The even more annoying thing here is that you don't really have a choice of whether or not you get iDrive, I understand that some people love it for the array of options that it brings up, and personally, I love gadgets and would have a field day with it, the major problem is that iDrive isn't intuitive enough.

I'm basing my judgment on my Dad's 530 and taking it only for a day while my car was in for a service. I had used it (iDrive) previously, but not while driving, and it annoyed me that it wasn't simple to change from radio to cd without having to divert attention away from the road for a sufficiently longer period of time than if I were in my car and had to only select "Mode". There are most likely times when it comes in handy, I like the options in regards to viewing service status and things like that, and the navigation system is quite thorough as well, but it shouldn't be that difficult for everyday things.

I understand that there is a more revised and simplified system of iDrive now available with shortcuts. It seems however, that every model comes out with a more simplified version of iDrive. I believe the 7 series, the first to debut the feature had 12 (if I'm not mistaken) initial menu options, which was reduced to the 4 that is on my Dad's version. Why does each version have to become more simplified if the technology isn't flawed? BMW are admitting slowly, annoyingly slowly that there is a problem with iDrive. For cars with such a high price, I can't understand why it's taken now four or even more years to start getting it right. It feels like people have to pay a lot of money to be market researchers, and in effect, a guinea pig.
AMEN. Finally, a perfect, and well said voice of reason and thought! Thank You.

zackrv8

BMW North America is now involved with this I Drive failure in my 335I. My car (according to OTTO's BMW in PA) needs a CCC Module. I guess this is a computer module. They are telling me that the part takes 5 to 7 days to ship to the US from Munich. Holy crap..... I think that is how long it took my car to come over on the boat! Is BMW giving me the run-around here????

Joe

zackrv8 said:
BMW North America is now involved with this I Drive failure in my 335I. My car (according to OTTO's BMW in PA) needs a CCC Module. I guess this is a computer module. They are telling me that the part takes 5 to 7 days to ship to the US from Munich. Holy crap..... I think that is how long it took my car to come over on the boat! Is BMW giving me the run-around here????

Joe
Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Now that BMWNA is involved, there is really nothing more you can do. If you continue having problems, then you can start Lemon Law proceedings. In CA, if the car is in for service for a certain amt. of consecutive days, you can start to Lemon Law it. Don't the laws in DE. Keep us posted.

yes- thank you. i totally agree. there IS such a thing as overdesigning console controls. and, this is why i've been somewhat disspointed in the direction bmw has been going on the newer models. heck, just look at Mercedes' consoles. i don't need freaking 6 different options to turn on the headlights ok? just give me the standard 2- parking & full on. i think bmw needs to go back to the basics on this one. seriously.

deutsch100 said:
AMEN. Finally, a perfect, and well said voice of reason and thought! Thank You.

zackrv8

Well...The CCC module has STILL not arrived from Germany. Maybe it will come Monday...maybe not. This Thursday, the dealer will have my car in the shop for service longer than I got to drive it! I have been in touch with my lawyer concerning the LEMON LAW. The clock is ticking!

Joe

deutsch100 said:
Hey nadroj! I see you have a 1998 and 1991 BMW, that for sure don't have anything even near i-Drive. Do you use i-Drive on a daily basis, with a screaming 7 month old, and navigating Los Angeles traffic?? If so, then you're awesome! If you tried it on a fun, 7 minute test drive, or in some uncle, fiends or cousins car....you have not really lived, or used i-Drive. Not being a dick, but it seems the only people praising i-Drive, are the ones that DO NOT have i-Drive.
<<<<<<

IMOHO iDrive blows chunks... It's only tolerable when you are the primary driver of the vehicle and the "presets" suit your tastes. Imagine having to navigate the menus of your cell phone, EACH time you wanted to make a call. Ridiculous!