In with the new

jrt67ss350 said:
See, I'm just the opposite. I think the E46 interior is great. It's a wonderful evolution of all 3er interiors that have come before. It's driver-focused and sporty looking. To me, the E90 interior looks like it belongs more in your run-of-the-mill grocery getter, not a German sports sedan. It's not driver-focused or sporty looking at all to me. Some may say it's classier looking (not me), but it seems like we gave up a whole lot of sporty to gain a little classiness. THAT'S not in keeping with what BMW has always been about. And, I'm not "knocking the new because I still have the old" since I don't have an E46.

And what the hell do I need a big damn screen in the middle of my dash for (unless I want to fork over the $$ for navigation)? I'm driving a car, not a video game. Last time I checked, I don't need a computer screen in my dash to drive either of my cars properly. Seems like an unnecessary distraction to me.
Exactly Justin...very well said!!!

To Mr. Elussive...not to be rude and/or harsh but maybe if you drove a BMW, especially an E46, you would be able to understand what we mean about the interior quality differences in the E46 vs. E90, 1996-2003 5 Series vs. new the 5er and the old 7 Series vs. new. Just taking a ride in your uncle's 7 Series does not mean living with a new BMW model. If you have owned and driven a pre-2003 design, it is virtually impossible to say that the new interiors are of the same caliber. I am not saying that many people don't like the new exterior & interior designs, but I have not read one single review of a new BMW model that praised the interior quality. Think new Audi, Porsche, VW and even MBZ (of lately)..the interiors are being praised for the quality, materials and craftsmanship. Not new BMWs. So before you go and sing the praises for the new E90, 5, 7 or Z4- please go and buy one! I would be talking "out of my ass" as you so eloquently put it, if I were to discuss the merits and problems of Infiniti..since I don't drive one. Since you don't drive a new BMW or E46, please don't talk "out of your ass", or base your assumptions from a drive around the block or pictures of new models posted on the web. No offense to you at all....I think you are a cool guy, but let's stick to what we know and/or own & drive.

Wow lots of different view points, but, the bottom line is that we have not seen the e90 in person. The pictures do not tell the whole story. Although it looks great to me, until I see it and feel it I am not going to pass judgement. I saw picture of the e90 and e46 side by side in one of the articles and it certainly made the e46 look like an old design.

As for power, or lack there of, compared to the G35 it is marginal. Everyone drives a car differently and I would imagine that most of the time close to the speed limit, that is were the driving experience really matters. The feel from the BMW is pretty sweet.

So we will see how the E90 drives and looks soon, just will have to wait.

I really like the New E90 interior much better than the E46's! Nothing really wrong with the 46, but the 90 is Hot!

When will the new 3's hit the showroom floor?? I cant wait to see one in person and take it for a spin

deutsch100 said:
Exactly Justin...very well said!!!

To Mr. Elussive...not to be rude and/or harsh but maybe if you drove a BMW, especially an E46, you would be able to understand what we mean about the interior quality differences in the E46 vs. E90, 1996-2003 5 Series vs. new the 5er and the old 7 Series vs. new. Just taking a ride in your uncle's 7 Series does not mean living with a new BMW model. If you have owned and driven a pre-2003 design, it is virtually impossible to say that the new interiors are of the same caliber. I am not saying that many people don't like the new exterior & interior designs, but I have not read one single review of a new BMW model that praised the interior quality. Think new Audi, Porsche, VW and even MBZ (of lately)..the interiors are being praised for the quality, materials and craftsmanship. Not new BMWs. So before you go and sing the praises for the new E90, 5, 7 or Z4- please go and buy one! I would be talking "out of my ass" as you so eloquently put it, if I were to discuss the merits and problems of Infiniti..since I don't drive one. Since you don't drive a new BMW or E46, please don't talk "out of your ass", or base your assumptions from a drive around the block or pictures of new models posted on the web. No offense to you at all....I think you are a cool guy, but let's stick to what we know and/or own & drive.
I have several friends with E46 3-series (325's, 330's, coupes, cabrios, sedans, xi's, 530i, X5, you name it, I've been in it and driven it...I'm not here for no reason). My uncle is a BMW guy, he had a 97 740iL, then a 2000 or 2001 740iL w/sport package, and now he has a 745Li. Even after going through all these cars, he loves his 745 better than the others...he digs the iDrive, the new interior, he likes the drive, and I like it too. I see nothing cheap in the new 7, and when I sat in the new 5 and new 6 at the dealership, I didn't see anything cheap about the interior either. Personally, I feel the 645Ci is a bit pricey but that's my opinion on the car as a whole. I originally joined this forum looking for a 3-Series BMW, at the time I had the VW Jetta and the ML500 for the week-ends. My parents have owned Mercedes and BMW's their whole lives. Also, I think I have made enough posts for you all to know that I will straight up admit it if I am talking bullshit.
The E46 interior is nice and all, but I find it a bit boring. Everything is so business-oriented with the buttons and controls and stuff and call me crazy, but I HATE the way the center dash is angled towards the driver. It does not help much and it just looks a bit weird and I do not think the audio and climate controls being easier to reach makes for a better driving experience. When I am really driving, my radio and climate control are completely shut off.
The new E90 interior is a big step forward in terms of luxury and I really appreciate that. Sure, the 3-Series is more about driving sport than driving luxury, but there's nothing sporty about radio, navigation, climate control, and all that other stuff.

What I am trying to say is that I have a pretty solid background when it comes to BMW's and Mercedes and any time I voice my opinion about these cars, I am not just some random Japanese car driver with a cheap interior who can't tell the difference between nice and not nice. I grew up surrounded by German autos and no way in hell would I ever just voice my opinion without putting some serious thought into it. Think about all the times you guys have made fun of the new BMW interiors and only NOW have I decided to throw my opinion into the ring.

Last edited:
The G35's design in photos might be better, and some other cars including the G35 might have more power, but the thing that made me decide to go BMW with ride and handling. I drove several other cars including the Benz and to me none had the handling the BMW had.

The way the 3 holds the road is not matched by other cars in its class. I also think others that have had the car up over 100mph would agree that it handles as good at high speeds as low speed.

The other point for BMW is the quiet interior, even at hight speed you still have a quite ride with very little noise.

I like the E90 design. By the looks of things, so do other major car manufacturers, the next Acura TL has a rear that looks exactly like the E90.. It's the next logical step in the 3 series long life. How cars are built and the technology available to put in them has increased so much in the past 7 years, than the previous 15.. Expect drastic changes in most if not all car designs in the next few years (Or expect more 'retro' designs because they want to have a 'safe' new car - ala mustang, charger, etc)

I doubt the current reported times are truly correct, 6.1 secs 0-60? The current ZHP 330i pulls 6.0 times already, with 20 less HP. But hey, it's a sports sedan, a 6 sec car is plenty fine either way. What, are you expecting cars to keep getting faster and faster? 3 sec sedans? Come on.. Normal people (a large part of the population) can't drive at 'safe' speeds as is, I think we'll see some changes in the future regarding top speeds, and acceleration limits for road cars (here come all the governors again..). Insurance companies will simply force the issue.. (just my opinion btw)

The things that make it a 'real' BMW (And gains it acclaim from every mag that has driven the E90 thus far) is the fact that it still 'feels' like a BMW. I didn't buy it based on looks (But hey e46's do look nice), I bought it based on driving feel, safety, and all around 'above average' performance over other cars in it's class. Do I feel slighted that there are a 'few' cars that are 'faster'? Nope. Do I feel that I've been shorted because of the BMW premium when you buy a car? Nope. You know why? Because I knew what I was getting into buying a BMW. I'm very pleased with every aspect of it, moreso then any previous car I've owned.. (3 toyotas, a honda, a mazda and a ford)

I don't like that the interior is moving towards a 'luxury' feel, instead of being built more for the 'driver' - center dash angled towards the driver, etc). And if I get an E90 it won't have iDrive (I can work it, but it's just not 'the end all' that BMW wanted it to be). That's my only bug.

All the nay-sayers so far have been about the 'looks'. I haven't heard anyone moan about it's performance aspects. I wonder why?

How can you be so down on an interior you've not even sat in yet? (The E90 I mean) I took a new 5 for a spin during last years cure for cancer drive. It felt more 'open' in the cockpit than the previous 5, very comfortable, and not 'cheap' in any fashion. Compare that to the previous 5 that I've ridden in as a passenger numerous times - they feel a bit cramped (for such a big car, then again I'm a big guy so I notice these things). They really feel like longer, wider 3's, that didn't quite handle as well (obviously). The new 5 gave me the impression that it had it's own identity as a car - not just the 3's 'big brother'.

I say take it to the track! If you're buying your car for mostly for looks, then a well handling, balanced, driver orientated car may not really be 'for you' anyhow?

Section_8, my main gripe about the new 3-series is price. The BMW 3-Series has always been the best in its class in terms of being a well-rounded luxury-sport sedan, but now I have to give BMW less credit for that as this new 3-Series probably will be the best in its class when it comes out. But at what cost? The Infiniti G35, the Acura TL, and the BMW 3-Series are all in the same class. A fully-loaded BMW 330i is a good $44K whereas a fully-loaded Acura tL is $35K and G35 Sedan at $38K. Now this E90 3-Series wants to be "the best" and it probably will be, but for how much? A fully-loaded E90 330i will probably cost a solid $50K, which is just insanely expensive. $12K savings or a $15K savings over the TL and G35 do not even come close to justifying BMW's Free Maintenance for 4 years/48K miles.

Basically, it's easy to be "the best" when you're charging SO much more money for the BMW, compared to the competition. Personally, I think I can justify the car's cost, though. It looks just so amazing inside and out...the whole interior is incredibly luxurious and I bet it does incredible on the right roads. The only problem is that BMW's competition is just SO incredibly stiff now.

I agree with you on the pricing - BMW's move with the 2 series at least coming here means I might be regulated down a series because of what I can afford. The 3 series although still 'small' isn't the tiny little sports sedan it used to be. Heck the E90 is about as big as the older 5 series now. The increase in price also is a sign of the current markets from US and Europe. The dollar is not stacking up as well against the Euro as it was say, 3-4 years ago before everything went down the crapper. This is certainly impacting the cost of a new BMW to a degree - which is out of BMW's hands to an extent. Maybe they 'won't' be that much though, I mean right now you can get a brand new 330i ZHP for about 37-38k loaded, they are working deals down there right now.. They might have to 'keep' working deals to sell 'ugly' cars (if you listen to everyone online). [;)]

It's a love/hate relationship to say the least! I love my car, but man it can cause you to rethink things when it effects the pockets. Then again, I blew 2 engines in one of my old Toyotas, and that in itself was a few grand both times before I got rid of the lemon piece of crap.. I spent more money on that toyota in 2 1/2 years then I did just to buy it.. But you get what you pay for I guess.. I know Toyota is known for their trouble free cars - not with me. So far I 'can' say that about this BMW which is a shock, I heard all the horror stories before buying it (oh, it's so much to maintain!) and all that.. My brake job I had done on the bimmer (complete rotor/pads) was less than taking my 3rd toyota (solara) for brake work at the dealership.. Where's the savings in asian cars again?

BMW is still making cars that give the driver the 'wow' factor, which after 30 years is a success in itself. That's 30 whole years everyone has had a chance to 'catch up' or duplicate BMW's success. Yah these days alot of car makers are much more competitive with the Euro car makers (BMW/MB/Audi), but other than the odd car model here and there, I've not seen that many until the past few years that really 'were' on the same playing field (kudos to Acura and Nissan/Infiniti for kicking it up a notch as Emeril says). I think that's a good thing, it'll force BMW to continue to evolve to 'stay' on top, or hey, maybe someone else will be crowned 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'.