Is what I saw a 1-series?

At Circuit City the other day, I saw a black hatchback car that looked from the front exactly like the Z4 in the picture. Except it wasn't a Z4. It didn't have any markings on it. I wanted to take a picture but was on my way to Miami and didn't have my camera with me. I've seen posts about the 1-series with pictures scanned from magazines, but the back of this car didn't look like that, and the lights seemed very old. They were yellowing and had moisture inside. The car itself did not look like a new car. The curves of the hood and the front half of the car were identical to Z4 below though. Did BMW have another hatchback that looked like that, or is this possible a 1? Just wondering. I'm in Ocala, Florida and didn't expect to see it here, of all places.

Attachments

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
I'm glad BMW ISN'T making a Z4 M Coupe - that has to be the ugliest thing it the world (although they did sell a lot of them) - a high performance sports car that is very useful and versatile with an additional M badge.

M Coupes are fun little cars, and fairly distinctive on the road (You see alot less of them than other M cars).

Here's a pic of one from the last ATL drive/meet we had:

And one from the rear (with a train of BMW's in front of us [and behind!])

usherjackson said:
Yeah, it's definitely the M coupe. I'll shut up now since I feel like an idiot. :)

No sweat, I was actually hoping it was a 1 series, doing test runs. (I've also read that they aren't bringing the 1 to the US) Can always hope they change their minds.. [:)]

What I have a question about is.. If they won't bring it here, can I still do a euro buy and get one, and bring it back?? The engine/internal parts for the most part are going to be 1/2 series compatible other then exterior body molds, etc.. I surely hope they change their mind, there is a good market for that little hatch here these days. Much more than the compact/hatch days of the early/mid 90's when they made the 318ti.

I'm still set on getting the wife the 2 door or 4 door hatch one way or another, if it's actually feasible. I'd like to see a 120i in my driveway!

imho - With gas prices as they are, I wouldn't mind having a turbo'd 4 banger if it could get 25-30 city and 35-40 highway.

Section_8 said:
What I have a question about is.. If they won't bring it here, can I still do a euro buy and get one, and bring it back?? The engine/internal parts for the most part are going to be 1/2 series compatible other then exterior body molds, etc.. I surely hope they change their mind, there is a good market for that little hatch here these days. Much more than the compact/hatch days of the early/mid 90's when they made the 318ti.
Probably not. If they are not going to import it, then you won't be able to buy one that meets US DOT specs. Since it won't meet specs, they probably won't do ED on it. I can tell you for certain that you cannot get a Euro spec car for ED as a US customer.

You could buy one in Germany from a regular dealer and import it yourself, making whatever mods it might/would need to satisfy customs and DOT.

bmw046series

1000 Post Club
You still won't be able to get it though I have a friend who tried to bring a Mercedes back and it had to be inspected and the process takes forever and he ended up scrapping it - costs to much and to much time.

6i9

bmw046series said:
I'm glad BMW ISN'T making a Z4 M Coupe - that has to be the ugliest thing it the world (although they did sell a lot of them) - a high performance sports car that is very useful and versatile with an additional M badge.
The great thing about the M Coupe is sooner or later, you'll grow to love it. Whether that means you drive it firsthand, or just let the looks settle on you, or both. And they did not sell that many M coupes. (only a few thousand) That is low compared to other models especially the M Roadster. So the rarity of an M Coupe makes it that much more desirable. Besides, the "additional M badge" is not what makes the car. It's the engineering dynamics.