It finally happened...$4.00+

Well, it finally happened! Our local Chevron station (the one I almost always use) listed Premium Gas/Petrol at $4.02 per gallon!

For the last 2-3 weeks, it's been fluctuating between $3.91 and $3.97...but this morning a whopping $4.02/gallon.

But compared to Canada, Germany, UK, Australia, Norway ($8.00/gallon) we shouldn't bitch...but what makes me mad, is that in other countries with high fuel costs, the taxes on gas goes to public works/schools/healthcare...not in Fat Bastard's pocket.

On a positive note, maybe this will make American's realize they don't need a Surburban, Excursion or Hemi to go to Ralph's/Kroeger or the Piggly Wiggly! It will hurt families though on a very tight budget. Kinda does suck all the way around...unless you're a CEO/CFO for an oil company [chair]

William330

On a positive note, maybe this will make American's realize they don't need a Surburban,
Excursion or Hemi to go to Ralph's/Kroeger or the Piggly Wiggly!
I think you've bought into the "conventional wisdom" about gasoline profits, which are false.

Here's the cost breakdown for California:

• Distribution Costs, Marketing Costs and Profits: $0.07
  • Crude Oil Cost: $2.44
  • Refinery Cost and Profits: $0.31
  • State Underground Storage Tank Fee: $0.01
  • State and Local Sales Tax: $0.26
  • State Excise Tax: $0.18
  • Federal Excise Tax: $0.18
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Retail price: $3.46

The "Fat Bastards" getting paid are the clowns in OPEC.

Does $4/gallon make you realize you don't need a 750IL (17 MPG city) or an X5 4.8i (14 MPG city)? [:D]

Big Daddy

The sad fact is that the price is being driven by speculation and futures markets, big oil is just the benefactor. It is only going to get worse as we subsidized ethanol, a poor choice considering it pollutes more than gas, costs more to make and drives up the price of food! Oh yeah, and my truck has a Hemi, they revert to a 4 cylinder on the highway at speed, but still only about 20 mpg, much better than my 91 750iL did though!

Hey Dan & William,

Sorry, Entschuldigung....I did not mean my post to be "Anti-American", against the troops or say anything/ or hint anything bad about our wonderful, great President Bush. I always forget that if something is said that is not entirely on the right side of the spectrum...our members get their feathers quickly ruffled[;)] he he

Yes, I do hate the mpg of our Bimmers. The fuel usage is very high, and embarassing. If my life wasn't saved in our X5, in the bad accident...I would have a small, economy car (diesel Golf/Jetta, etc..) or a Prius. I try and make up for the gas usage though (we have a huge solar array at home, purchasing carbon footprints, volunteering, massive recycling, and trying to buy all petrochemical free products!)

Do a quick search what high level American oil industry execs are paid, and also what they are given when they step down. The hundreds of millions should shock you, or at least I hope it does.

I am blessed/lucky that $4.00 a gallon really doesn't affect me at all, but I feel awful that for millions of Americans...this is a bad blow.

What I meant is that at least in the countries with horrifc priced gas...they do have somewhat excellent social services, and try and find a pothole in Germany, Sweden, Switzerland.....Gas taxes there really do go for road maintenance!

Big Daddy

Adam, I took no offense and have no problem with your post. Fuel prices is a very hot subject for many and for many reasons. While our opinions may differ they are not totally at odds. Lets just hope and pray this country gets though these tough times in one piece and continues the good it has always at the very least attempted to project.

I'm not sure how you figure that Canada's gas prices are $8/gallon... it's really only a few cents more expensive than what you pay. ($1.09/Litre...$1.21/Litre for premium at it's peak) So far it's not bad... but summer is coming:( It's only going to go up from here.

Adam, I took no offense and have no problem with your post. Fuel prices is a very hot subject for many and for many reasons. While our opinions may differ they are not totally at odds. Lets just hope and pray this country gets though these tough times in one piece and continues the good it has always at the very least attempted to project.
Agree with you 100% Dan! I hope/know/wish our country turns around, and returns to, or exceeds what it is capable of....because it has the potential, and power to be awesome!

I'm not sure how you figure that Canada's gas prices are $8/gallon... it's really only a few cents more expensive than what you pay. ($1.09/Litre...$1.21/Litre for premium at it's peak) So far it's not bad... but summer is coming:( It's only going to go up from here.
If you look at my original post, you'll see that I have ($8.00) after Norway, and not Canada. Eh? [clap]

Fuel prices...

Hi there,

Try $1.225 for regular grade here in Victoria...
What pixxed me off was that when i went to fuel up, the sign price was 5 cents less than pump and attendant would not honor the "advertised" price.

Just my 5 cents,
Tiger