Looking at E36 with over 100,000 miles

goforit

Hi,
I'm looking at an 94 E36 with just over 100,000 miles. Anything I should look for? Any know faults? Any maintenance jobs that I shoud ensure were completed before or just after I buy? Are E36's good for many more miles? Should I be concerned about 100,000 miles? Its a 318i.

Thanks!

my 1994 318iS has 117k on it now, bought it at 106k one year ago, drives like a dream, bushings might need replacing if they haven't been recently on the b.m your looking at, other then that they don't seem to cause much, 100k is nothing to a b.m

I have a 93 325is with 198,998 on it, it drives very very well. I've always kept it maintained. I plan to keep on driving till something happens, doubt anything will though.

Congrats!! We have a lot of E36 owners here, feel free to hang out with us and ask questions. You won't get the "don't ask, search the forums" attitude that some other boards give you.

I have two E36s both at 150K miles. These cars are good for 200K miles and more if taken care of. As mentioned, the cooling system generally is the weakest link, as on most cars.

You can drive it as is, or do some upgrades. At this age, the various rubber bushings start to dry out and the car feels a little loose or sloppy handling. Replacing bushings will bring it back to top performance. With the exception of the front control arm bushings, none of these are critical. The front control arm bushings can seriously reduce the steering accuracy to the point of being dangerous, and should be replaced if they get bad.