Motor Trend E90 Review

Motor Trend Article

Introduction

The BMW 3 Series has long been considered the driving enthusiast's benchmark sport sedan, even if the passenger accommodations historically have been cramped. The competition should be considered warned: the all-new 2006 BMW 325i and 330i are even better to drive, and the redesign addresses the size issue.
This new car looks sharper and more modern than the outgoing model, especially when outfitted with the 18-inch wheels and tires and lowered suspension that are part of the 330i sport package.
The new cabin features high-quality materials and a very modern design, although some of the controls don't seem as nicely wrought as those in the outgoing cars.
The new 330i is a superb car: BMW has managed to improve upon the marque's sport-sedan legacy at a time when Infiniti, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz are all aggressively targeting the 3 Series.
The six-cylinder engines are faultless. They sound terrific, rev hard, and offer lots of passing performance, while the six-speed manual transmission features short, slick actions and is allied with a fluid, well-weighted clutch.

Final Word
New and improved, the redesigned 3 Series is a premium reward for discerning driving enthusiasts.

What's Hot
Superb handling
More room and features
Wonderful six-cylinder engines
What's Not

iDrive controller is confusing
Still tight out back for big adults
Expensive with optional equipment
What's New

Essentially, everything is new for 2006. The car is bigger, safer, and faster. The two engines are new, as are the suspension, braking systems, and transmissions. And there are new safety features, more standard equipment, and a host of advanced options.